Manchester City - Brighton Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City - Brighton Premier League Post Match Thread

Sky Sports

Player ratings​

Man City: Ortega (5), Walker (7), Stones (8), Akanji (5), Gvardiol (7), Rodri (7), Silva (6), Foden (6), Alvarez (7), Doku (9), Haaland (8).

Subs: Dias (6), Grealish (6), Ake (n/a).

We needed that win, full credit to Brighton for their second half performance, again ridiculous added minutes for extra extra time, now getting past a joke, we need a proper timekeeper.

I’ve just seen Crook’s comment on his team-of-the-week piece and in case you haven’t read it, here’s his comment on Jez Doku…

Jeremy Doku (Manchester City): What a mismatch. What was manager Roberto De Zerbi thinking? The decision to ask James Milner to mark Manchester City's newly signed 22-year-old Jeremy Doku, a renowned speed merchant, means he has either never seen Doku play or is blissfully unaware that Milner is 38 on his next birthday. Let's be clear here, Milner has had a distinguished career with Newcastle, Aston Villa, Liverpool and Manchester City, but asking him to deal with Doku without providing reinforcements was like asking him to keep pace with Usain Bolt. This was clearly not a good idea and it cost Brighton dearly.

I’ve just seen Crook’s comment on his team-of-the-week piece and in case you haven’t read it, here’s his comment on Jez Doku…

Jeremy Doku (Manchester City): What a mismatch. What was manager Roberto De Zerbi thinking? The decision to ask James Milner to mark Manchester City's newly signed 22-year-old Jeremy Doku, a renowned speed merchant, means he has either never seen Doku play or is blissfully unaware that Milner is 38 on his next birthday. Let's be clear here, Milner has had a distinguished career with Newcastle, Aston Villa, Liverpool and Manchester City, but asking him to deal with Doku without providing reinforcements was like asking him to keep pace with Usain Bolt. This was clearly not a good idea and it cost Brighton dearly.
Always nice to see the turncoat embarrassed.

Nice to see Jeremy with a 9, still rusty but what a player at taking on full backs.
Such refreshing change from Rodney’s approach which always threatened ….and then rarely delivered in forcing fullbacks to retreat. Not to diminnish Rodney’s vital contributions in many ways ….but hr often frustrated by his almost pathological unwillingness to ever take a fullback on the outside.

Btw just seen Rodri’s booking for kicking the ball away. Daft :surrender:

Without having had time to go through the whole MDT…..can Colin shed any light on the minor dust up between Alvarea and Gross in the first half? Both players spoken to after Alvarez’s shoves Gross over on the edge of the area but I caught a glimpse just moments before where I think Gross had an off the ball pop at Julien and this was a bit of ‘afters’? The replays didn’t really pick up on it.

Btw just seen Rodri’s booking for kicking the ball away. Daft :surrender:

Without having had time to go through the whole MDT…..can Colin shed any light on the minor dust up between Alvarea and Gross in the first half? Both players spoken to after Alvarez’s shoves Gross over on the edge of the area but I caught a glimpse just moments before where I think Gross had an off the ball pop at Julien and this was a bit of ‘afters’? The replays didn’t really pick up on it.
It was just a shoving match VAR was checking Alvarez shove to see if it was 'The Godri Choke ' move to see if it was a red card offence and an opportunity to send the City player off, however it was just handbags, but the opposition trying to wind up the City players to get them booked

It was just a shoving match VAR was checking Alvarez shove to see if it was 'The Godri Choke ' move to see if it was a red card offence and an opportunity to send the City player off, however it was just handbags, but the opposition trying to wind up the City players to get them booked
Definitely a tactic opposition coaches will.be encouraging