City 0 Brighton 0
On Target :-
City 6 Brighton 3
Off Target :
City 4 Brighton 2

Attendance: 53,466

City Team
CITY XI:
Stefan Ortega, Walker (c), Stones*, Akanji, Gvardiol, Rodrigo, Bernardo, Foden, Doku**, Alvarez***, Haaland

Subs: Ederson, Dias*, Phillips, Ake***, Kovacic, Grealish**, Gomez, Nunes, Lewis

Last edited:

'Easy goal for Haaland'​

Man City 2-0 Brighton
55e52723-6498-4e92-9809-da3d805f84db.jpg

Martin Keown
Former England defender on Final Score
Erling Haaland is just going through the gears there - that was an easy goal but 10 out of 10 for execution.
Man City look like they are back to their winning ways.

FULL-TIME​

That was a welcome three points against a very determined and dangerous Brighton side.
We win the Etihad contest 2-1 on the resumption of Premier League action after the international break.
Goals from Julian Alvarez and Erling Haaland put us two-up at the break before Ansu Fati pulled one back in the second half to set up a tense finale to the contest.
Manuel Akanji was red carded in stoppage time to make it even nervier.
But Pep Guardiola’s men held on to earn a maximum haul and send supporters home happy.
Join Paul Dickov, Steve Howey and Dakota Ditcheva alongside Cel Spellman on Matchday Live for their take on the game.

'City stop the rot but it wasn't easy'​

FT: Man City 2-1 Brighton
b49ccce5-5474-45b3-af9e-fddb2865fb56.jpg

Chris Sutton
Former Chelsea striker on BBC Radio 5 Live
An amazing game.
City in total control in the first half, total control at half time.
Fati gets one back for a much improved Brighton in the second half and City were hanging on a bit in the end.
Akanji sent off and down to ten men City see it out. They've stopped the rot but it wasn't easy.

Manchester City lose Manuel Akanji to a red card. Akanji will miss the Manchester derby at Old Trafford on 29 October.

I am not sure he will be a big miss

Another City Record

City’s 2-1 win over Brighton saw Pep Guardiola’s side set yet another Premier League record.

Goals from Julian Alvarez and Erling Haaland made it 21 consecutive home victories across all competitions – more than any other English team in the Premier League era has managed.

It also extends our current club record which was set on this run with the August defeat of Newcastle United.

The run is now the joint second longest in English football history, tied with Preston North End’s 1892 team. Sunderland’s 24 successive home victories across 1891 and 1892 remains the outright record.

Ansu Fati turned home a loose ball from Kaoru Mitoma's cross to give the Seagulls hope.

Hope was all it remained, as Guardiola's side held on comfortably despite Manuel Akanji's late second booking for pulling back Fati.

Jeremy Doku on three points 👇

“I'm happy with the result. After some difficult results we had in the past weeks. It's important mentally and I hope we can keep going like this.

“It was very important. Not only for the table but jut for us in our heads. It was a difficult game but we're a good team, the best team for me.

“We have to prove it every time we're on the pitch. Today we did it.”

Pep Guardiola on the victory 👇

“In the second half they close that space with Mitoma coming in and Fati coming on.

“We suffered for 20 minutes and at the end there was a period that we were composed.

“After defeats it was important performance. The credit I give to Roberto, they were exceptional.

“I give credit to the team for victory.”

A game of two City halves.

In the first we were commanding and dominant, and Brighton rarely threatened our penalty box, let alone goal.

A great run and take on to the bye line by Doku, and a good finish by Alvarez, and Haaland superbly punished a poor loss of the ball.
From where I was sat, I disagree with the general comment about Rodri's yellow card - I thought it was a very poor decision by the referee.
Akanji's two yellows were soft, yet Stones was clouted from behind that led to the City free on the edge of the box mentioned in the MDT, and shortly after the same BHA player was booked for a lunge, and catching, Rodri - fouls more worthy of two yellows!

There was certainly more than a touch of lethargy in the second half, and Bama is correct in saying the BHA goal was coming - Akanji didn't cover himself in glory there, so, overall, a poor afternoon for him.

The referee was poor again, Doku and Foden dangerous all afternoon, although the former does need to up the defensive, tracking back side of his game to fully appreciate Pep's style, but hopefully that's being drummed into him on the training ground.

A win's a win.