Manchester City 7 - 0 Schalke - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax | Vital Football

Manchester City 7 - 0 Schalke - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
City March On In Europe With Club Record Blitzkrieg

Johnny On The Spot: Ferreting Der Spiegel hacks will be crestfallen. Manchester City have stormed forward again in Europe playing exhibition football…

Schalke, roared on by an outstanding support who had flooded town, resplendent in fluorescent green for this game are a big side and they ensured that the English champions endured a low key opening half hour. They pressed City well in obdurate fashion, denying space, looking to get forward at every opportunity. Yet throughout this phase, City stayed patient and disciplined, waiting for an opportunity to get weaving against a limited side who had conceded 14 goals in there last 4 matches.

The breakthrough finally came shortly after the half hour mark. Bernardo was wrestled to the ground for a stonewall penalty and so began yet another excruciating VAR ordeal courtesy of the UEFA ditherers in the tribunes. Remaining ice cool throughout the wait, up stepped Kun Agüero with a cheeky Panenka style chip that bamboozled the Schalke keeper. And so began a 3 goal, 10 minute blitz in The City Way. the officials opted for a VAR examination of Kun’s 226th in sky blue and another fine strike from Leroy Sané. Raz Sterling had hit a 13 minute hat-trick 3 days ago. The latent power of this City side must never be underestimated.

The nosediving German side had utterly crumbled and their gaffer Domenico Tedesco was left staring at the managerial trapdoor. There was more of the same in all directions in the second half, Sterling’s clearly onside 19th goal of the season making it a quadruple of refereeing indecision with yet another call for VAR. Clément Turpin was beginning to look a bit of a Dick in his attempts to apparently rob City of the rout that they have been threatening in the past 3 fixtures. VAR interventions are increasingly bordering on farce with goalscorers unable to celebrate immediately Rugby League style.

Sterling and Agüero now have 46 goals between them across City’s ongoing multiple campaigns. Agüero looking fitter than ever has scored, 13 goals in his last 12 games. Raz 7 in 7. The timing of their impressive form could not be better.

There was a pleasing directness about The Blues once the deadlock was broken. Pep Guardiola had fielded 7 left footers in his XI and some of their football was exquisite. The ball was moved intelligently and the passing second to none. The icing on tonight’s cake saw more goals coming courtesy of Bubble Gum Bernardo, the Stockport Iniesta and the kid from Brazil. This was City’s record score in Europe.

So City, bursting with confidence right through the squad, march on and into the Champions League Quarter finals AND Semi-Finals draw in tandem on Friday ahead of or next trip to South Wales to face Swansea in the FA Cup. Beat the championship ramblers and City’s spectacular season will pause for a much needed breather ahead of a final assault on the history books.

JB's Man Of The Match: Kun Aguero. Sensational predator.

Last edited:
City make Schalke look like League One standard
Man City 7-0 Schalke (agg: 10-2)

Chris Bevan
BBC Sport at Etihad Stadium

I was here at the start of the year when City beat Rotherham of the Championship 7-0 in the FA Cup and also when they beat Burton of League One 9-0 in the Carabao Cup a few days later. Both of those teams put up more of a fight than Schalke. Burton had four shots, Rotherham seven. The German side have had two efforts at goal, and two touches inside City's area.

Alan Green on the BBC commentary said City were not playing that good to be 7-0 up, so it is lucky that Schalke met City when they were having a bad day at the office.

InSane
Man City 7-0 (SEVEN) Schalke (agg: 10-2)

Leroy Sane (1 goal, 3 assists) became the first player to have been involved in four Manchester City goals in a single Champions League match.

Leroy Sane speaking to BT Sport: "It was a good game again from us. We knew it would be tough but we did really well and we're happy.
"They stood firm and compact at the start but we know what to do to find the spaces. It was a good win.

18-year-old Phil Foden: "Every time I come on I just try to enjoy my football. I try to concentrate and improve. I enjoy scoring goals.

"You are learning all the time in the changing rooms, on the touchline and when you come on. I am learning every day. I will try to keep improving each day. They are all great lads and great players so it is just a pleasure to be here."

I thought Gundogan was outstanding tonight, crucial passes to open them up that set us on our way. Fantastic performances all over the pitch when we moved through the gears.

Loved that front five that finished the game, with Sterling as captain, the future is bright Blues

I thought Gundogan was outstanding tonight, crucial passes to open them up that set us on our way. Fantastic performances all over the pitch when we moved through the gears.

Loved that front five that finished the game, with Sterling as captain, the future is bright Blues

Hear hear, Dubster!