Manchester City 7 - 0 Schalke - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax | Page 3 | Vital Football

Manchester City 7 - 0 Schalke - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax

All those records equalled or broken, Phil Foden’s first European goal, no Kompany, Stones, Otamemndi, Fernandinho, De Bruyne etc, another English club through to the Champions League QF........something to celebrate you would think?

Well not if you are the sports reporter on BBC R5Live who dismissed the result with some comment similar to “If you beat the other team by 3 or 4 you say ‘well done’ but when it’s 7-0 then the match was too easy, no the better achievement for me was Ronaldo’s hat trick for Juventus”.

You can only beat what is put in front of you and achieving last night’s result and the manner in which it seems it was delivered (I have yet to see the whole game) is not something which happens by chance. To dismiss it so casually :censor:

The BBC. At it again.

All part of building the negative narrative and priming the audience by playing down the achievement. The rags win 7-0 and it would be hailed as “The Magnificent Seven” or some such headline.

Last edited:
Their coverage, considering that this was “the biggest ever victory by an English side in a Champions League knockout tie” (Guardian), is pretty limp and starkly contrasts with the back pages of the newspapers. They do show these in their ‘Live’ news feed article where the papers widey celebrate the result but the bbc themselves rather hide the result. (I appreciate the news feed will change so just check the first/earliest entries in today’s feed)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/47550916

Foden was stood on the sideline for a good few minutes before he got the chance to come on.
Thought crossed my mind to carry on warming up, otherwise there was a chance of a muscle problem otherwise.

I saw that, I'd say he was willing someone to misplace a pass, cursing how good they were.

Zinchenko’s pass to find Sane prior to Foden’s goal was sublime :clap: as was his assist for Sané’s goal. He has made some improvement :thumbup:

That pass inside the fullback was sublime, it kickstarted Sane too, he had been well shackled up to that point and then just burst into life, somewhat similar to Sterling on Saturday.

Must also note Walker's similar pass to Sterling that set up the chance Aguero put off the post, top drawer.

That pass inside the fullback was sublime, it kickstarted Sane too, he had been well shackled up to that point and then just burst into life, somewhat similar to Sterling on Saturday.

Must also note Walker's similar pass to Sterling that set up the chance Aguero put off the post, top drawer.

That one (Walker) was superb, and equally so by Sterling, whose composure was excellent.
Disappointed that didn't finish in the net, expected Aguero to do the honours.
As an aside, I thought Sterling took his goal brilliantly - that wasn't an easy finish.

He really did, his finishing has improved no end, ever since that goal against Spain it seems he's stepped it up a notch. The third goal on Saturday was a thing of beauty too, Messiesque.

Zinchenko’s pass to find Sane prior to Foden’s goal was sublime :clap: as was his assist for Sané’s goal. He has made some improvement :thumbup:

Just thinking that - it was an awesome pass to Sane. Really good goal. Also really like his attitude, didn't leave, stayed to fight for a place (probably been stalking Mendy round the physiology dept to suss out his chances) and is now having a run in the side as the business end of the season approaches.