Manchester City 3 Everton 1 - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax | Vital Football

Manchester City 3 Everton 1 - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
Johnny On The Spot: #BACK ON TRACK. This crucial win at the end of a difficult week was played out in awful weather conditions. Ice Station Etihad shipped sleet, freezing rain and wind but witnessed another exciting contest as City continue to ride out a tricky injury crisis. Pep Guardiola pointed out this week that the key to the champions success last season was how his mentally robust squad were able to construct winning runs after any setback.

Marco Silva set up his uncompromising Everton side rather as he did when nullifying Klippity Klopp’s Boys Band at Anfield with 5 men across the back from the first whistle but found his effective stretched in all directions by the champions who prompted relentlessly by Ilkay Lampard’s awareness found themselves comfortably 2-0 to the good by the hour mark wherearound that time Silva abandoned his defence first approach and threw two more strikers at it. He was rewarded with the toffees exploiting momentarily poor defensive composure to pull a goal back only to see City’s strong character deliver another riposte through Raz Sterling.

Gabriel Jesus’ opener of his brace was his first in the Premier League since August, ending a run of 11 games, 487 minutes and 18 shots without one. City have never lost a Premier League game that the kid from Brazil has scored in. Jesus, whose industrious work rate is consistently second to none is clearly benefitting from an extended run in the side. Gündogan, a big confidence player is also running into threatening form, particularly at dead ball situations from which City are increasingly carrying more of a threat.

Everton were more combative in the second half but found that the centurions were also ready to mix it as required whilst their pace,
communication and execution in all areas ensured an ultimately comfortable win for a City side not only well versed in game management, but now also injury management.

https://manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/champions-strength-of-character-eclipses-everton/

Bernardo Silva to Sky Sports: "It was good after the defeat against Chelsea to give an answer, it was not an easy game.
"To have difficult games against Hoffenheim and Everton, it was good to come back from that.
"The next two months are hard, we need to be focused and fit, get as many wins as we can to recover first position and go as far as we can in other competitions."
"We are happy with Jesus' two goals and hopefully he can score more and win more titles."

Gabriel Jesus: "I am so happy, we need to win a lot because this season is more difficult."

"I tried [to score a hat-trick] but it is difficult. I am so happy with the performance of the team. Everton have amazing players. They played very well. I am so happy because of this. We played very well and won the game.
"My confidence is back because my family is here and it helps me a lot. I need my family in this moment.
"This year it [the title] will be more difficult because the clubs will play better. I think it is very important we have come back to first position."

Pep Guardiola to Sky Sports: "It was a tricky game coming after Hoffenheim on Wednesday. We responded well from defeat at Stamford Bridge.
"Sometimes you need to take time to get into a rhythm. We scored the first goal but the beginning was tough. We started the second-half well, but our best moment was when we conceded a goal.
"They were physically strong and after 2-1 we were lucky to score a third one. We should have had more control after that. But now we have the League Cup and then the Premier League and we keep going."
On Jesus' goals and speaking English in an interview: "I insist all of them have to learn English.
"He showed fight and personality, he is a young player and has to improve many things. It is good for his confidence. It is a big compliment for him, I am so happy for him."
On De Bruyne's return: "It is important he plays, he will play against Leicester in the cup."
If he will watch Liverpool-Manchester United: "Yes, it is a nice game to watch."

Dominic Calvert-Lewin to Sky Sports: "We know they are a top team, we came here to get a result, to try and win the game. It is disappointing. At 1-0 we had chances to level it and if we had taken them, the game may have gone another way, but they were more clinical than us.
"The timings of their goals were vital. They killed it, their third settled the game."

Player Ratings

Ederson - 7 - cool calm and can pass a ball, not really tested but unlike Pickford Eddy does not panic under pressure.

Walker - 5 - in poor form gave the ball away on a number of occasions

Otamendi - 6 - defended well always reliable in that he no longer goes to ground in the tackle

Laporte - 6 - off colour and a few wayward passes not his best day for the blues limped off at the end which may account for his performance

Delph - 7 - motivates the team not afraid to mix it, but has that streak in him that might have seen him get a red similar to the red against Wigan last season but only a yellow

Fernandinho - 8 - an assist , box to box and leads by example

Gündogan - 7 - a really good game ghosts about, deserved a goal but not to be after a brilliant team effort.

Mahrez - 6 - his pressure on the Wveron defence led to City’s opener

Sanè - 7 - unlucky to be subbed but was causing lots of problems for Everton.

Bernardo - 6 - quiet first half relatively and does not look fully fit, maybe the weather was a factor.

Jesus - 9 - his family are here and he was back on form to show them how good he is, never stopped running took both goals brilliantly.

Sterling - 8 - one touch back of the net ( for Sanè)

De Bruyne - 6 - good to have him back but was wary for a couple of moments about Everton tackles but needs minutes in his legs (for Mahrez)

Since Pep Guardiola became Man City manager, Everton have scored more Premier League goals against the Citizens than any other side (8).

Man City's Leroy Sane assisted both of Gabriel Jesus' goals in this game - before today the German had never previously assisted the Brazilian in the Premier League.

Man City's Raheem Sterling scored just his second headed goal in the Premier League, and first since December 2015 v Sunderland.

Man City have won all 21 of their games in all competitions this season when they've scored in the first half. The only five games they've failed to win this season are the five in which they've not scored in the first half.

Marco Silva, speaking to Match of the Day: "Tough match, like we expected. You know the qualities they have.
"Until the moment they scored the game was what we expected we were blocking them and they didn't create one chance. The biggest chance was our chance with Richarlison. Against these team we have to be effective when we create opportunities to score.
"We made a mistake with the first goal. They scored and after that they were more comfortable. We made chances after with Sigurdsson and Walcott and it makes the difference clear how they were more effective."

If Jesus can keep scoring goals more regularly he will be a force to reckon with in front of goal. Already a very exciting and talented player.
Sane had a great game and I think myself that Fernandinho was the man of the match.

I watched the game whilst enjoying a nice cold beer. When I saw poor old Bernardo shivering just before the kickoff I nearly put the beer away. Didn’t though!

Very pleased for young Gabriel Jesus yesterday :clap: He worked his socks off and thoroughly deserved the rewards of the brace he bagged. Fantastic. He hasn’t been disheartened by his lean spell and has enthusiastically celebrated when team mates have scored in recent games which is a great indicator of his team ethic :tophat:

Forget the potential weakness on the left side of our defence in the enforced absence of first choice LB Mendy, one of my biggest concerns at the moment is on the other side of the pitch.

Kyle Walker seems to be not quite onthe money right now. From last season’s blistering form & almost faultless security, he now seems to be suffering from a worrying dip in his performance. Switching off at moments during the game, getting caught cold and failing to stop quite as many crosses as I am comfortable with.

Puzzling ?

Just a loss of form or has he become guilty of a bit of complacency in his play? A bit too comfortable that other people will get him out of bother?

He was caught flat footed last weekend when Willian got the drop on him before Chelsea’s first goal. Yesterday he made a poor decision early in the game when he tried to control the ball at the edge of the box and lost possession which led to Richarlison’s volley wide. In the second half he again was less than convincing against Lookman (admittedly he was a fresh sub) when he failed to block a cross which Walcott failed to convert.

It is difficult - the standards we have set are so high that any slight dip below the max performance level probably stands out more than it otherwise would. I just don’t feel as secure in his performances right now.