Manchester City 1 - 0 West Ham United - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax | Vital Football

Manchester City 1 - 0 West Ham United - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
One Nil Thrashing Of West Ham Maintains City Title Defence

Johnny On The Spot: #DURABLE. City remain hot on the heels of Liverpool with a hard fought if profligate win over West Ham..

City flew out of the blocks into a total domination of the Londoners. Quite how the ball did not reach the back of the visitors net in that opening blitz will forever be a mystery. The Hammers were under siege but maintained Manuel Pellegrini’s 4-5-1 set up in a disciplined display, blocking everything that moved, riding their luck while City just could not find the composure required to break the deadlock.

As the opening period wore on, and the champions’ possession stats hovered around the 80% mark, City’s midfield continually sought out Riyad Mahrez rather than Leroy Sané without any end product. Notably, Mahrez and Kevin De Bruyne were not clicking, City’s forward surges undermined by Mahrez’s poor reading of the Hammers defensive line. Frustration swirled around The Etihad. The Hammers finally got hold of the ball in a 42nd minute lull and their travelling fans began to call out “olé’s” at every rare pass. 0-0 and a head shaking City trooped off with plenty to think about.

A breathless start to the second half mirrored the opening stages but the pattern of stubborn deadlock persisted and anxious glances were cast across Planet Blue as the dangerous Manuel Lanzini, having replaced the gasping Samir Nasri for the opposition almost set up an opener for Andy Carrol that Ederson was equal to.

An evidently tense Pep had seen enough and before the hour mark he hooked Sané and “Rodney” Mahrez then deployed Raz Sterling and Bernardo Silva to the wings. Within minutes, Bernardo was gifted a soft penalty that the prolific Sergio Aguero dispatched coolly. City’s 50th goal in 2019 was richly deserved, if fortuitous. The substitutions had done the trick and while Sterling embarked upon a quest to push the Irons back, inviting runners in, Bernardo sparkled like bewitching gold dust. De Bruyne, wrestling with rediscovering his finest form, was noticeably bouyed by their introduction and played a pivotal role in the game management that sealed a crucial victory.

With Tottenham falling away typically at the business end of proceedings and Watford rolling over meekly at Candlefield, we are now in a clear and present two horse race for the title with Liverpool who the media will be crowning as the people’s champions all over again. An experienced City squad know from hard fought winning campaigns that tonight’s results outcome are the type of scenarios that often develop in the ebb and flow of title chases, particularly when you are still competing for titles across four fronts into March. Credit to the Blues tonight. Wembley was no stroll in the park three days ago and the team will fly to a nosediving Bournemouth this weekend with continued momentum behind them having dug deep for the cause yet again.

JB’s Man Of The Match: Vincent Kompany. Almost unnoticed in the one way traffic, but directed operations efficiently, continually urging his men on.

https://manchestercity.vitalfootbal...ing-of-west-ham-maintains-city-title-defence/

I wonder if KDB is not quite fit. I would not be surprised given the number of games we have been playing.

Although Bournemouth are shipping goals, they can, and do, score so we should still be wary.

Pep's verdict...

"We played so well. You see the result 1-0 it looks like it could be better. We create a lot of chances in the first five minutes.

"We conceded one shot on target. After 120 mins (on Sunday) we made an incredible performance. When you play every three days it is demanding. Everybody needs a little break and we need everybody to help fight for all the titles still in our hands."

I am not expecting any of Stones, Laporte, Ferna or Jesus to feature over the coming weeks. #nochances

BBC R5Live getting all giddy over the Liverpool result this morning opting to play the commentary on all the goals. Funnily enough this was not something they did the morning after our 6-0 thrashing of Chelsea.

BBC R5Live getting all giddy over the Liverpool result this morning opting to play the commentary on all the goals. Funnily enough this was not something they did the morning after our 6-0 thrashing of Chelsea.
We’re not “fairytale” though, are we. :shake:

Just seen the penalty for the first time. I don’t think it is that soft at all. Bernardo jinking his way through into the area and there is contact from Anderson. It’s a clumsy challenge but he catches Bernardo’s thigh and then possibly his ankle. You could absolutely bet that had it been Salah there wouldn’t be any debate.

Either way we’ve had enough garbage decisions (including Ogbonna’s use of his arm last night - I remember one given against Lescott that was very similar) that I will take it.

Last edited:
Mahrez’s miss from Silva’s cross early on.......very poor. The cross was inch perfect. Silva’s one against the post- just didn’t get enough in it.

I blame Pep’s grey woollen coat.

Good to see the referee book a player (Fredericks) for a poor challenge on Sané as he stormed over the halfway line but play was allowed to continue. Atwell didn’t forget like so many do to go back and book a player for an offence which they certainly would have been carded for if play had been stopped.:clap:

Last edited:
Mahrez’s miss from Silva’s cross early on.......very poor. The cross was inch perfect. Silva’s one against the post- just didn’t get enough in it.

I'd say Silva's miss was very poor, Mahrez probably should've done better with his chance but Silva's was a lot easier imo.