Managers Out Of Work...And Others | Page 3 | Vital Football

Managers Out Of Work...And Others

I can remember sitting at work and going onto the OS to see Sutton appointed and thinking, 'WFT are we doing here?!'!

Luke Imp - 8/4/2016 10:41

I can remember sitting at work and going onto the OS to see Sutton appointed and thinking, 'WFT are we doing here?!'!

Same here. Had similar feelings when reames appointed himself... And moyses.

Not saying these experiments have no chance of success, just that the odds are stacked against us right from the start.

This recruitment strategy would not get you far in most businesses, why do we think it would work in football?

nlondonimp - 8/4/2016 11:48

This recruitment strategy would not get you far in most businesses, why do we think it would work in football?

This is very important. The club needs to compile a profile before even reading any applications - if they don't know what they are looking for, how can they identify it when they see it? We know that 90% of the applicants will be the usual dead wood who can be discounted immediately, so why not compile that profile and actively look for that person? That is the professional way to go about this, and there has never been a more important time for Lincoln to get it right.

Luke Imp - 8/4/2016 10:41

Same here. Had similar feelings when reames appointed himself... And moyses.

Not saying these experiments have no chance of success, just that the odds are stacked against us right from the start.

Given the history of Lincoln City you could have had that same feeling with the huge majority of the managers!

Scotimp - 8/4/2016 13:52

This is very important. The club needs to compile a profile before even reading any applications - if they don't know what they are looking for, how can they identify it when they see it? We know that 90% of the applicants will be the usual dead wood who can be discounted immediately, so why not compile that profile and actively look for that person? That is the professional way to go about this, and there has never been a more important time for Lincoln to get it right.

Totally agree. Not sure what your article will conclude but would love to see what you think the profile looks like and then who you feel matches it. I wouldn't know where to start!

Skip155 - 8/4/2016 14:21

Totally agree. Not sure what your article will conclude but would love to see what you think the profile looks like and then who you feel matches it. I wouldn't know where to start!
Nobody would and there is no real right or wrong in this. This really is a "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" scenario. Just an 8.5% chance of getting it right!

Your stance on Moyses has been very bullish Steve. Are you now saying you were wrong, he was the wrong choice and has been a failure?

Skip155 - 8/4/2016 16:43

Your stance on Moyses has been very bullish Steve. Are you now saying you were wrong, he was the wrong choice and has been a failure?
No Skip. I am saying he was the right man for the job at the right time and I fully supported him. I fully support his decision to stand-down and I will fully support the next manager that comes in as I have done all managers since 1967.

To me the profile looks very challinor-like. I would start by trying to get him, if he is not interested then find as similar a profile to that as possible. Challinor even fits the chairman's penchant for relative youth. :pointy:

nlondonimp - 8/4/2016 18:28

To me the profile looks very challinor-like. I would start by trying to get him, if he is not interested then find as similar a profile to that as possible. Challinor even fits the chairman's penchant for relative youth. :pointy:

The stand-out target, without a doubt, but there are reasons why it is unlikely. Profile on Challinor coming soon.

I just cannot see Challinor coming to Lincoln, he is North West based and he has a big backer at AFC Fylde who could well be in the same division as us next season, I work with an AFC Fylde player who was offered a contract by us a couple of seasons ago and he is on a higher wage playing part time at Fylde thn he was offered full time at Lincoln.

He would be a very good choice but just cannot see it happening with the plans that Fylde have, they see themselves as a similar team to Fleetwood and with the backing that they have at Fylde I would think they have more chance of reaching the FL than we have I am sorry to say!!

Warrington Imp - 8/4/2016 21:34

I just cannot see Challinor coming to Lincoln, he is North West based and he has a big backer at AFC Fylde who could well be in the same division as us next season, I work with an AFC Fylde player who was offered a contract by us a couple of seasons ago and he is on a higher wage playing part time at Fylde thn he was offered full time at Lincoln.

He would be a very good choice but just cannot see it happening with the plans that Fylde have, they see themselves as a similar team to Fleetwood and with the backing that they have at Fylde I would think they have more chance of reaching the FL than we have I am sorry to say!!
I agree because players, managers and owners operate in the short term. He can make his name on the money at Fylde and rise up the league faster than them. If and when the money drirs up, they will windback up where a team in a seaside town akin to Skeg and Mabo belong and he will stand and/or fall at a diiferent club. A club like Lincoln will not feature in his CV.