Managers Out Of Work...And Others | Vital Football

Managers Out Of Work...And Others

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
OK, here's a quick rundown of which well-known managers might be in the Sincil Bank picture. The following categories are a bit arbitrary, but they seem to fit somehow. Unless stated, they are all currently out of work; I have given their last club and the date they left.

CURRENTLY OUT OF WORK: PLEASE GOD, NO!

Paul Jewell - West Bromwich Albion coach - January 2015
Chris Powell - Huddersfield - November 2015
Dougie Freedman - Nottingham Forest manager - March 2016
Neil Redfearn - Rotherham manager - February 2016
Dean Saunders - Chesterfield manager - December 2015
Paul Dickov - Oldham manager - October 2015
Peter Taylor - Kerala Blasters (India) - October 2015
Micky Adams - Sligo Rovers - November 2015
Mark Robins - Scumthorpe United - March 2016
Martin Ling - Swindon - December 2015
Malky Mackay - Wigan - April 2015
James Beattie - Accrington - September 2014
John Gregory - Crawley - May 2015
Ronnie Moore - Hartlepool - February 2016
Gary Waddock - Portsmouth - May 2015
Teddy Sheringham - Stevenage - February 2016
Russ Wilcox - York - November 2015
Paul Ince - Blackpool - January 2014
Dave Hockaday - Kidderminster - January 2016

This is just a short list. Some of the above names have been successful in the past, but not in recent years, and are living on past glories. There is a host of others who have dabbled with management in the lower reaches of the FL who should not be considered unless they have a great deal of money they want to give us. The irony being that, even if we were to consider the above names, we probably couldn't afford any of them regardless of their collective lack of success to date.

CURRENTLY OUT OF WORK: COULD BE INTERESTING

Paul Clement - Derby - February 2016
Ian Holloway - Millwall - April 2015
Sean O'Driscoll - Walsall - March 2016
Richard Money - Cambridge - November 2015

CURRENTLY OUT OF WORK: COULD BE VERY INTERESTING

Steve Cotterill - Bristol City - February 2016

Could we afford any of those either? So we probably need to look a bit further down the food chain, because that is where we are.

PREVIOUS CONFERENCE PROMOTION WINNERS: WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

2015: Barnet - Martin Allen - Still at Barnet
2015: Bristol Rovers - Darrell Clarke - Still at Bristol Rovers
2014: Luton - John Still - About to be relegated with Dagenham & Redbridge
2014: Cambridge - Richard Money - Avalaible
2013: Mansfield - Paul Cox - Luring Lincoln City strikers for Barrow
2013: Newport - Justin Edinburgh - Manager at Gillingham
2012: Fleetwood - Micky Mellon - Manager at Shrewsbury
2012: York - Gary Mills - Manager at Wrexham
2011: Crawley - Steve Evans - Manager at Leeds (allegedly not for much longer)
2011: AFC Wimbledon - Terry Brown - Manager at Basingstoke Town

CURRENTLY OUT OF WORK: EX-NATIONAL LEAGUE MANAGERS WHO MIGHT BE CONSIDERED

Richard Hill - Eastleigh - October 2015: Had some success at a heavily-bankrolled club; departed once the money was insufficient to go any further. This would be a no.

Dino Maamria - Southport - March 2016: Has an interesting track record; might be worth a look.

Mark Goldberg - Bromley - February 2016: Multi-millionaire, does not need the money. Success at Bromley only.

CURRENT NATIONAL LEAGUE MANAGERS WHO MIGHT BE CONSIDERED BY SOME

Garry Hill (Woking): Has spent his career in the south, would probably not consider moving north at his age.

John Askey (Macclesfield): Has done a good job on a tiny budget, but a read of their fans forum reveals discontent.

Paul Hurst (Grimsby): Perennial loser, could be about to add to his catalogue of failure despite big money spent. No thanks!

Mark Bower (Guiseley): Could be a dark horse. Experience is probably too limited.

Chris Kinnear (Dover): As per Garry Hill, would he want to move to the frozen north?

Steve Burr (Chester): Did well at Kidderminster, but that was with a budget that has left the club in dire financial straits to this day. Chester fans are divided over Burr - may have moved out of contention for us.

Now, how about this:

LOWER LEAGUE MANAGERS DOING WELL

I believe this category could be well worth a look. The notable names are:

MARCUS BIGNOT: Age 41, manager of current National League North leaders Solihull Moors since 2011. Vastly experienced player with over 600 first class appearances to his name, notably at QPR. Was manager of Birmingham Ladies between 1998 and 2005 while still a player.

Record at Solihull:
2011-12: 19th
2012-13: 9th
2013-14: 8th
2014-15: 12th
2015-16: 1st, heading for promotion.

But he is married to current Arsenal Ladies goalkeeper Emma Byrne; they live in Hertfordshire, adjacent to Arsenal's training ground and close to Heathrow to fly over to see Emma's family in Ireland. Would he move? I can't see it.

BILLY HEATH: Age 45, manager of North Ferriby United since 2011. No top-level playing experience, but has success in non-league football with Bridlington, Frickley, Lincoln United, Matlock and Alfreton. Has formed a managerial team with Mark Carroll since 1998 and has won the FA Trophy, the NPL championship, 2 NPL Cups and a runner-up spot in Conference North. Currently 2nd in NL North despite removal of funding by owners. Would cost us two wages, as Carroll would be part of the deal. Also, could he deliver without substantial financial advantages? Probably an outsider.

SIMON WEAVER: Age 38, current manager of Harrogate Town. Needs no introduction to Lincoln fans, part of two play-off squads in 2003 and 2004. Appointed manager of Harrogate in 2009 but has a chequered record in that time:

2009-10: Bottom of Conference North, reprieved from relegation.
2010-11: 12th
2011-12: 15th
2012-13: 6th
2013-14: 9th
2014-15: 15th
2015-16: Currently 4th in NL North, may make the play-offs for the first time in 7 attempts.

Cynics might say that he has only kept his job because his father Irving bought the club in 2011. A very long shot indeed for us.

MATT JANSEN: Age 38, current manager of NL North Chorley. Great playing career with Blackburn and England U21 before a serious accident reversed his fortunes. Still playing and scoring goals. Has been manager since 2015, but probably does not have enough experience for Lincoln at this point.

Other managers doing well in NL North include ANDY MORRELL (Tamworth) and KEVIN WILSON (Nuneaton), but I cannot see them being considered seriously despite Morrell's attempts at getting Wrexham promoted in recent seasons.

DARYL McMAHON: Age 32, current manager of NL South leaders Ebbsfleet United. Reasonable playing career with spells at Orient and Stevenage but the majority has been in non-league in the south east. Has only been a manager for one season and probably lacks experience for us.

JAY SAUNDERS: Age 37, current manager of Maidstone United. Played in the Conference for 6 years with Margate and Ebbsfleet before joining the phoenix Maidstone club as a player. Was appointed manager in June 2011 and has a very good record:

2011-12: 6th in Isthmian League Division One South
2012-13: 2nd in Isthmian League Division One South; promoted via play-offs
2013-14: 7th in Isthmian League Premier Division
2014-15: Champions of Isthmian League Premier Division
2015-16: Currently 2nd in NL South, 5 points behind Ebbsfleet with 2 games in hand.

However, has been backed financially, raising the same budget issues. And would he move from Kent?

However, the one I would seriously consider is...

DAVE CHALLINOR: Age 40, current manager of AFC Fylde. Played over 400 games in the FL for Tranmere, Stockport and Bury before joining Colwyn Bay as manager in 2010. Qualified with a first-class honours degree in physiotherapy in 2012, so has a high degree of intelligence as well.

Great record:
2010-11: 2nd in NPL Premier Division, promoted via play-offs (Colwyn Bay)
2011-12: Champions of NPL Division One North (Fylde)
2012-13: 5th in NPL Premier Division, lost in play-off final to Hednesford
2013-14: 3rd in NPL Premier Division, won play-off final against Ashton United
2014-15: 2nd in National League North; lost in play-offs to Guiseley, who had finished 15 points behind them.
2015-16: Currently 3rd in NL North, almost certain to make play-offs.

However, the budget issue haunts us again...Fylde have significant investment behind them.

So, do we consider the usual suspects, many of whom will already have submitted their crumbling CVs to Bob Dorrian this morning? Do we look to other managers within the National League? Or do we look at those managers doing well at a lower level?

Or...is our next manager already in the bag?

We, and anyone north of Peterborough, would struggle to get a Conference South manager here. The vast majority, if not all, will be PT and have FT jobs. You'd have a similar situation in that respect as you do with them types of players.

I always rated Edinburgh, which obviously won't happen anymore, and Burr, although his stock has declined considerably over the last couple of years so I'm not sure I'd go there now (Chester fans would probably drive him here - he'd also require compensation).

I doubt Gary Mills would leave Wrexham, so I'd expect him to sign a new deal there this summer.

Seen as Rhead hasn't gone to Barrow, will Cox come to Lincoln? :pointy:

Money is an interesting one, for me. His Cambridge side were incredibly solid and he came up against us when he got Walsall promoted from L2 in 2006/07.

Great post from Scotimp.

Have already said elsewhere that Allen would be my first choice. O'Driscoll would be second and Money third. The lad at Fylde may well be worth a closer look. Right age and whatever budget they have, Lincoln are a significantly bigger club and a great project for someone if they can get it right on the pitch.

For the record, my favourites would be Money and Challinor.

But I also thought Tilson was the right appointment, and that really was very badly wrong...

implausible - 5/4/2016 17:02

1. Another well researched and thoughtful post from Scotimp
2. Scotimp needs to get out more !!!

3. Scotimp already knows that.

Good lord, this is a remarkable thread. Surprised Danny Cowley didn't get a mention but otherwise pretty comprehensive. If we want a solid bet, I don't think we could go far wrong with Richard Money or Steve Burr. A young manager from the Conference North could be a breath of fresh air though if we were looking for a risk - someone like Bignot or Challinor could be very interesting.

great op.

challinor for me, absolutely bang on experience/up and coming etc.
[bignall further back as second choice]

Scotimp - 5/4/2016 16:56

For the record, my favourites would be Money and Challinor.

But I also thought Tilson was the right appointment, and that really was very badly wrong...

i think many thought tilson was a good bet. the weak link was southend his only club, and the south/north divide.

if 'money' was no object, how about challinor, with money as 'tactician/dof/coach/mentor' [he is 60 and probably needs to slow down a bit]? :)

I considered Cowley but his experience is just not well-defined enough. Success at Concord, but that is at a level significantly below ours. And the fact that he inherited the bulk of Alan Devonshire's squad means he is very difficult to assess.

I considered Dennis Greene, but too many Boston fans are very critical; add his problems with the law to that, and I would say no.

The Echo suggests several names from my 'Please God, No!' section, as I thought they might. They also suggest Mick Harford and Steve Thompson, but I also discounted them because they have applied and failed before; and at 57 and 60 respectively, are they what we need right now? Although Money is a similar age.

And the Echo also suggests Matt Sparrow or David Preece: what makes them think either one of those would make the right manager at this juncture? No, just no.

And I also discounted Nicky Law: did well with Alfreton when the money was there, but relegated and mid-table without it.

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Names-frame-succeed-Chris-Moyses-Lincoln-City/story-29055648-detail/story.html

Nobody has said it, so I will.
Skelly is an obvious choice. A formation of 1-1-1-8 will see us rolling in goals and guaranteed promotion.
Failing that, I'd take Ronnie Moore. Fairly local, years of football experience, I'd expect a mass of contacts, and got Rotherham punching well above their weight.

Scotimp - 5/4/2016 17:37

I considered Cowley but his experience is just not well-defined enough. Success at Concord, but that is at a level significantly below ours. And the fact that he inherited the bulk of Alan Devonshire's squad means he is very difficult to assess.

I considered Dennis Greene, but too many Boston fans are very critical; add his problems with the law to that, and I would say no.

The Echo suggests several names from my 'Please God, No!' section, as I thought they might. They also suggest Mick Harford and Steve Thompson, but I also discounted them because they have applied and failed before; and at 57 and 60 respectively, are they what we need right now? Although Money is a similar age.

And the Echo also suggests Matt Sparrow or David Preece: what makes them think either one of those would make the right manager at this juncture? No, just no.

And I also discounted Nicky Law: did well with Alfreton when the money was there, but relegated and mid-table without it.

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Names-frame-succeed-Chris-Moyses-Lincoln-City/story-29055648-detail/story.html

Fancy a job at the Echo Scotimp? Your article is much more comprehensive and well-informed than theirs.

Good post. Though most of them don't sound that great to me. Think Money would be a great appointment.

I wonder where this leaves Brown and Preece? Are they both under contract, and if so when until? The list of managers is interesting, but are they coaches or did/do they work with their own backroom staff?

One name not mentioned is Steve Hodge. He's been involved at various clubs at youth level and had a very brief reign as Notts County manager, but is very much unproven, bit then again so was Hasselbaink i guess

Richard Money would be my choice, although I don't think he'd come here. Failing that someone from the lower divisions with something to prove and a knowledge of players at that level.

Mind you I thought Tilson was a great appointment so what do I know?