Managerial merry go round | Page 152 | Vital Football

Managerial merry go round

I was actually referring to our home form in general since promotion in 2019
19/20 10 wins in 17
20/21 9 in 23
21/22 7 in 23
22/23 7 in 23
23/24 4 in 13 so far.
Not great bar the first season, interesting post from the chairman himself regarding 20/21.

Those figures show what a chronic problem it has been. Ironic considering the continued strength of home support during this whole period. Must have been perturbing for the board and the recent change probably reflects the realisation it needed to be addressed.

Those figures show what a chronic problem it has been. Ironic considering the continued strength of home support during this whole period. Must have been perturbing for the board and the recent change probably reflects the realisation it needed to be addressed.
Yes it's amazing that crowds have held up so well to still average over 8000 is remarkable IMHO

Yes it's amazing that crowds have held up so well to still average over 8000 is remarkable IMHO
I think very often its not the 'entertainment' on the pitch which keeps supporters coming back, I live in hope, but the huge improvements the Club has made to the catering facilities at SB, especially the fan zone, and the care and effort they make to encourage families and young supporters. This season you only have to look at the various mascot packages on offer and the fun the kids have before the game and at HT . Poacher should improve his goal keeping skills, not ! Alan Long and his SLO team are also always on hand to make the match day experience that much better and frequently away supporters pass comment say how much they enjoyed it , hopefully by not winning though ! All these things hopefully are our young supporters of the future , and bring people back. Liam and his team do a great job !! Just so I am not accused of drifting off topic ! MS connects with the supporters by actually answering their questions and finds time for selfies and stuff , all part of a Managers / Coaches job these days.
UTI.

Last edited:
We did seem to spend a lot of time with attendances of 3,500. I think we forget sometimes that one of the biggest things the Cowleys brought to the club was the increased engagement over previous years and a huge jump in attendances, that has never really gone away.

We did seem to spend a lot of time with attendances of 3,500. I think we forget sometimes that one of the biggest things the Cowleys brought to the club was the increased engagement over previous years and a huge jump in attendances, that has never really gone away.
Think your 3,500 is a bit generous ! The Club has built on what the Cowleys left us with, due to a large part having the right people as Chairman, the Board and CEO . They know how to connect with the supporters just as DC/NC did and long may it continue !

Just shows that all their hard work and commitment in building a successful side and, more importantly, engaging with the fans and community, particularly the young ‘supporters of tomorrow’, has paid off. Just one part of their amazing legacy 👏👏

Just shows that all their hard work and commitment in building a successful side and, more importantly, engaging with the fans and community, particularly the young ‘supporters of tomorrow’, has paid off. Just one part of their amazing legacy 👏👏
Yes.

In comparison, however good Graham Taylor was at doing the same thing less than a season after he left it was as if he'd never been.

Yes.

In comparison, however good Graham Taylor was at doing the same thing less than a season after he left it was as if he'd never been.
Yeah very quickly back down from 8000 to less than 3000, 78/79 crowds were very low, granted we were terrible that season.
Imagine how many more people would go if we won than 1 in 3 at home.

The challenge for the club was always going to be retaining the Cowley support, and they have done that very well. Although gates and season ticket numbers are down, Covid and the oil/cost of living crisis have been largely responsible. Fan engagement is still good, and as David says, imagine how many will go if/when we manage to win a few.

I was actually referring to our home form in general since promotion in 2019
19/20 10 wins in 17
20/21 9 in 23
21/22 7 in 23
22/23 7 in 23
23/24 4 in 13 so far.
Not great bar the first season, interesting post from the chairman himself regarding 20/21.

I felt like early in the season we nicked quite a few games from set pieces, Montsma was scoring all the time etc. Also teams gave us a bit less respect maybe than when we were top of the league, more space to play?

But yeah not just been under Appleton it's a problem has it. I am quite interested where both he and Kennedy pitch up eventually on this merry-go-round - neither at L1 now surely.

Darren Moore leaving Huddersfield apparently. Can't be long until they eventually drop their average Championship position is probably 18th-20th in recent years.

EDIT - better than I thought at 15th.

The Huddersfield owner said Moore was going nowhere... three weeks ago.

That last-gasp equaliser from QPR looks to be the straw that broke the proverbial. A win would have taken Udders six points clear of QPR, now they are only three points clear with a worse goal difference. Amazing what one goal can do.

The challenge for the club was always going to be retaining the Cowley support, and they have done that very well. Although gates and season ticket numbers are down, Covid and the oil/cost of living crisis have been largely responsible. Fan engagement is still good, and as David says, imagine how many will go if/when we manage to win a few.

I have to say, having seen attendances plummet very quickly after successful seasons going back to the late 60s, I was very concerned the same would happen after MA's second season and the awful MK season.

However, as Scot says, the club have retained the Cowley years support very well. I think that will continue now us cynical Lincoln old-timers don't form the majority of City fans. New generation, and all that, which is more than positive.

I think MA did well for us and maybe his best spell in management alrogether? He's just never come across as a 'people person' - certainly no rapport with the fans, so very little chance of empathy in return
Interestingly, MAs very first press conference as an imps manager, he was asked what qualities he brings and he replied he was a people person. TBF the media people that knew him at Lincoln and Cambridge seem to all speak very well of him. I think he just refused to do the necessary PR stuff to get the fans onside if results weren't going well. In that regard he is stubborn, to his own detriment.

Without checking the actual figures, many teams around our level have improved their attendances in the last few years, (although usually not as much as we have )- so without the special Cowley boost we would probably have increased gates to a certain degree anyway.