Managerial merry go round | Page 149 | Vital Football

Managerial merry go round

Appleton gone already, I wonder what all the players recently signed think to losing their coach so quickly after arriving at the club? The turn over of personnel is rapid at times in football.

That didn't take long after the final whistle tonight.

Quite a toxic atmosphere at the game apparently, with the home fans definitely wanting him out.
Not really surprising news is it ? It was coming.

He did ok at Oxford and for a few months here. Other than that he was a failure.
Hardly liked by fans and I can see why...

Not really surprising news is it ? It was coming.

He did ok at Oxford and for a few months here. Other than that he was a failure.
Hardly liked by fans and I can see why...
Can't really agree with that. Came in after the Cowleys (thankless task and takes a thick skinned character), completely dismantled their side and replaced it with a young vibrant side playing great football that nearly got promoted within a couple of seasons.

Don't know the dynamics of why it fizzled out at the end as it did, but imo not a failure and I like what he did for the club.

To be very fair, that one season unfortunately with no crowds was the best football I’ve ever seen from a City side. A gnats chuff from the hallowed second tier too. Yes we were blessed with a couple of outstanding loans, but what a season. A pity his stubborn unyielding traits were his down fall.

For a season did brilliantly.
Yeah, you can say that I guess. I mean we were top about half way through the season and then form wasn't great which killed all hopes for automatic promotion.
Crazy that we could have even dream about that to be honest so credit where is due. He did well. Plus that play off win Vs mackens. Brilliant.
Shame we weren't allowed to football that season due to the most popular virus ever...

When MA finally left our team/squad and part of the fanbase wasn't in a great place tbh. so it was right move from the board

Can't really agree with that. Came in after the Cowleys (thankless task and takes a thick skinned character), completely dismantled their side and replaced it with a young vibrant side playing great football that nearly got promoted within a couple of seasons.

Don't know the dynamics of why it fizzled out at the end as it did, but imo not a failure and I like what he did for the club.
Yeah, I can't argue that he did lot of good things . In total though it was really a few months of very good football wasn't it.

He did dismantle Cowley side and made it temporarily better. Also brought some really good players. Sure .
What he also dismantled before he left was other thing that Cowley's built. That great feeling of unity and togetherness. He divided fan base and there is no doubt about it.

Talking football. After taking us to play offs (with big chance for automatic which might never come around again) he lost the final and next season also plot.
He came back to square one. From vibrant side we become slow, predictable and soft.

Not surprised he just got found out again tbh...

Last edited:
Appleton got boo'd into his technical area last night, which is never a good sign is it! Charlton fans did remain well spirited at times because apparently they gave the "Appelton, give us a wave" chant a run-out, he obliged, and then they switched to "We've seen his haaaands" - presumably a nod at his technical area style of hands in pockets and leant against a dugout.

Probably the end of him as a L1 manager now, I can't imagine anyone else will take a chance on him. Down to L2 or back to academy coaching (I still think he values player development over results tbh). In some respects, you've got to admire his willingness to head into shit show situations (Blackburn and Portsmouth), and also situations where he's up against is straight away (Lincoln after Cowley, Blackpool after Critchley). Add Charlton to the list and he's not exactly picked his jobs particularly well overall has he?

Weird place L1, this season. Bristol Rovers haven't taken to Matt Taylor yet, Shrewsbury never did with their Matt Taylor and now he's finally gone, Exeter don't particularly like Caldwell, Wycombe want Bloomfield out, Wigan aren't keen on Maloney and then Warne and Collins aren't universally like at Derby or Barnsley either. And Charlton are just Charlton aren't they, change a manager every few months.

Managers and players are similar in a way. It is all about consistency. The top Managers and Players perform at the top of their game season after season. But it is only a very select few that seem to do it.
Managers have a very successful season often culminating in a promotion or a near miss followed by a season of struggle then they lose their jobs. And can never seem to replicate that relative success for example Appleton. Players often do the same, have a brilliant season get talked about going a lot higher in the football pyramid. Get a move then relatively dissappear for example Grant.
It is just the way football is. And these days clubs don't really give a Manager and in some cases a player hardly anytime to turn things around. Its a cutthroat business. But that is the way it is and can only get worse.

purest merry go round. hurst is back at shrewsbury.
presumably based on what he did there with a different set of players around a football lifetime ago
presumably not based on what he has done since.

Weird place L1, this season. Bristol Rovers haven't taken to Matt Taylor yet, Shrewsbury never did with their Matt Taylor and now he's finally gone, Exeter don't particularly like Caldwell, Wycombe want Bloomfield out, Wigan aren't keen on Maloney and then Warne and Collins aren't universally like at Derby or Barnsley either. And Charlton are just Charlton aren't they, change a manager every few months.
And one or two not taken to Skubala…

I think Clive's comments on the 20/21 season home form are interesting in the locked transfer rumours thread.
Despite having a great season we were very poor at home and we pretty much still are , 9 win that season and 18 in 59 since that season.
Regarding Appleton had an incredibly tough act to follow no doubt but was as stubborn a manager as I can remember.

I think MA did well for us and maybe his best spell in management alrogether? He's just never come across as a 'people person' - certainly no rapport with the fans, so very little chance of empathy in return

I can never understand why a manager makes no attempt to get the fans onside. At the very least it will buy him a little time if/when results are not going your way.

I'm sure MA will say that its not in his character, but surely its part of his job at the end of the day?

A managers job is not only confined to coaching players and picking the team. Its also about man-management (something else he was/is poor at), matchday performance and entertainment (which having the crowd behind you can have an effect on), and ensuring the supporters and the club are pulling together in the right direction.

Standing with your hands in your pockets throughout a game hardly inspires the crowd to get behind the team and, in my view, doesn't generate enthusiasm that can transfer to the players on the field.

This game has a lot to do with emotion and enthusiasm, both in the stands and on the pitch. MA shows no interest in either, and its basically contributed to the end of his managerial career at this level. With all his experience, its strange he still seemingly refuses to accept that.