Man United v Tottenham | Page 10 | Vital Football

Man United v Tottenham

Real Deal - 29/10/2017 09:08

Nick Real Deal - 28/10/2017 23:42

With Rose, Wanyama, Kane and Lamela out and Dembele not 100 % fit, we are not really in a position to move up a notch.

We were in the game almost to the end and were not outclassed away from home and missing key players.

To be fair NRD Rose and Lamela are long term injuries.

We have needed a new AM brought in for the last 2 years and Poch hasn't done that. We all knew Lamela wouldn't get a real look in this side of the season so it was stupid to wait. IMO this was an area that had to be addressed more than any in the summer.

We have needed an out and out LWB understudy brought in for 3 years. We should have addressed this in the summer.

How long have we needed a decent back striker for Kane? Again that is down to Poch not having the ability to bring in the right attacking players. Llorente is good if you play to his strength's but of course we don't do that. So the outcome will be he will struggle.

You can make excuses if you want but when you analyse the situation most of them problems are brought on by our manager.

He gets enough praise from people including myself when he does good, so it's only fair to tell the truth when he makes mistakes.

I was responding to the notion this game was an opportunity to move up a notch. I don't think it was , it had to be managed and pretty much was for 80 minutes. Could have gone either way.

Critical_Spur - 29/10/2017 00:15

Scraping the barrel when folks say we conceded after Sissoko went off! What exactly does that imply or have any relevance to how they got their goal?

De Gea hoof, Lukaku heads on from deep in our half, clears (flat footed) the defenders, Martial runs on and bang! Is Sissoko a superman that he could have prevented a 3 touch move?...

IMO, the guy's not a footballer and has somehow conned a lot of people making his way up to becoming a France international. Most interest in him only arose because of one decent Euro.....

IMO, our problems lie in the AM area + lack of suitable backup for Kane, an area Poch has totally failed to address since his arrival and multiple dabbles in the TW has got us....N'Jie(gone), Jannsen (almost gone?), N'Koudou (another N'Jie), Stambouli (gone), Sissoko (errm) and Llorente (gone....past his sell by date)... As someone said earlier, Llorente arrives giving us a different option and we deploy him as if he is Kane. May be we should've got Siggy at the same time. Then there's the reliance on home grown, even that 1 out of 4 success, i.e., mason + Bentaleb (gone), Onomah (loaned), Andros (gone). He hit lucky with Winks...though WIP.

Here's hoping Poch's next dabble works out better. .... in the mean time the battle will be to hang on to some of our key players as they seek trophies on their cv's....and £££'s.

EDIT: Poch gets credit for Sonny..... not yet at the same level as last season imo.

An in depth tactical analysis has revealed taking Son and Sissoko off exposed our CBs to Man Utd attacks down the left which had been dealt with previously.

Nick Real Deal - 29/10/2017 08:59

If you view the Sissoko shot from behind the goal you will see what his intentions were. He only had one clear path to aim at. Left of the keeper hit with fade. Alli passed to him and he had to back off slightly to get his feet right

Not a straight forward blast although he could have , hoping for a deflection. He could have taken a touch maybe but probably didn't think he had time.

The shot summed him up IMO, yeah anyone and everyone could miss, but absolutely everyone would have bet on him missing....

Not sure if you are playing devils advocate regarding him....but if you aren't...what do you see in him? Do you think he is a first team player? Do you think he offers us something that adds to the way we play....cos I see someone that plays as if he doesn't want to be involved.

Fair square the blame rests with the manager, MOPO writing a biography when he has not won anything. We keep on hearing that Spurs are playing well, good to watch and all that crap. Who F****ing cares Man Utd were there for the taking. I am really annoyed and frustrated. We have to stop playing backwards and across all the time just shoot when you can

I dont know why many fans have a go at Sissoko, at least he tries and runs forward, but Dier I am sorry he is so dire slow and slowing the game. If you watch every time he loses the ball does not chase back or fast enough. Even the goal you watch him not sensing the danger to go goal side and try to cover like the way Davies did earlier on. I have been thinking why not Sanchez maybe MOP was trying to be clever for his own good by trying to prove to Mourinho that he is better than Matic well it did backfire and he had the last lough.

Well eventually it is the manager's call he is paid the big bacs, he made so many mistakes in his selections and substitutions for example everybody could see that Winks was tired but he did not see that. Now we are out of one cap our chases ow wining anything is limited.

For Alli I think he should sort himself or being dropped trying to be flashy and all that and had the audacity to ask for a pay rise and all that

I hope the boys will play better on Wednesday and we should move on not dwell on the past. The manger should be ruthless in his selection AND PLEASE MOPO TELL THE BOYS NO THIS TICK TAC FOOTBALL GO FOR IT WHEN NECESSARY

total spurs - 29/10/2017 20:37

If you view the Sissoko shot from behind the goal you will see what his intentions were. He only had one clear path to aim at. Left of the keeper hit with fade. Alli passed to him and he had to back off slightly to get his feet right

Not a straight forward blast although he could have , hoping for a deflection. He could have taken a touch maybe but probably didn't think he had time.

The shot summed him up IMO, yeah anyone and everyone could miss, but absolutely everyone would have bet on him missing....

Not sure if you are playing devils advocate regarding him....but if you aren't...what do you see in him? Do you think he is a first team player? Do you think he offers us something that adds to the way we play....cos I see someone that plays as if he doesn't want to be involved.

He is not a first team starter if all are fit. I have said that already. He doesn't add anything to our best first 11 apart from a sub appearance maybe. He makes lots of runs and defends so to say he don't want to be involved is I think harsh.

I see pace and strength , experience and reasonable ability but not gifted. He needs space to run into which is not really how we play pressing so high but he is trying to do a job.

Nick Real Deal - 29/10/2017 21:27

He is not a first team starter if all are fit. I have said that already. He doesn't add anything to our best first 11 apart from a sub appearance maybe. He makes lots of runs and defends so to say he don't want to be involved is I think harsh.

I see pace and strength , experience and reasonable ability but not gifted. He needs space to run into which is not really how we play pressing so high but he is trying to do a job.

Yep he has pace and strength....just doesn't utilise it IMO. Next time he plays, and sadly there is bound to be a next time, watch him for 10 mins, not always what he does, which isn't much anyway, but what he doesn't do.......watch him not make himself available for a pass, watch him not look for an incisive pass when he has the ball, watch him run near whoever has the ball (spurs that is) so that he isn't in a position to receive the ball......yes if he is out wide he does get passed to sometimes, but when he is prancing around midfield and say Winks has the ball, he doesn't find space or an angle to offer himself up, he will run near Winks so that to pass him is futile, but if he does get passed to.....watch him mostly pass backwards a few yards to give himself time to run near someone again so that he doesn't have to get the ball.

Harsh maybe.....but watch him and tell me its not true

Total Spurs, that's exactly what I do when I watch particular players. Their activity off the ball is crucial to how and when they receive the ball and their involvement in the game.

I've seen some players with the ball look to Sissoko and think....nah. Not just because he's crap but because his is not offering himself up in a way that would create something or even build on a potential move.

Sissoko is clumsy, has no technique, can't read the game....and that's his good points.

I hate bagging any player, especially a huge Spurs signing, but seriously, Poch (and his minions) have no idea about recruiting. How do we even hope to stay in Cups or in contention for the league title with no Kane back up, no real goal scorers, by playing Dier at CB, with way too many injuries (again) and no cover for same.

While we keep playing Sissoko, we are essentially a man down and the quicker Poch can see this, the better.

No, we will not win anything this season, but we will fight for 4th. You know what? Maybe we just expect too much of Spurs. Maybe we should all just be grateful that we can fight for CL. Not that we can do much whilst in it!

I really hope we'll be at full strength V Real, otherwise 3 straight losses won't do much for our confidence moving forward, and before we know it we'll be behind Chavs and Arse.

Doom and gloom I know...but reality I'm afraid.

total spurs - 29/10/2017 21:59

Nick Real Deal - 29/10/2017 21:27

Yep he has pace and strength....just doesn't utilise it IMO. Next time he plays, and sadly there is bound to be a next time, watch him for 10 mins, not always what he does, which isn't much anyway, but what he doesn't do.......watch him not make himself available for a pass, watch him not look for an incisive pass when he has the ball, watch him run near whoever has the ball (spurs that is) so that he isn't in a position to receive the ball......yes if he is out wide he does get passed to sometimes, but when he is prancing around midfield and say Winks has the ball, he doesn't find space or an angle to offer himself up, he will run near Winks so that to pass him is futile, but if he does get passed to.....watch him mostly pass backwards a few yards to give himself time to run near someone again so that he doesn't have to get the ball.

Harsh maybe.....but watch him and tell me its not true

Ok.I will watch . I did against West Ham and in the 5th minute he tore up the pitch and scored. Didn't need 10 minutes only 5.

He has a pass completion rate of 80 % which for an attacking player is ok and 64 % forward passes.

I have re watched the first half with the intention of watching Dier and Sissoko. Dier had a shot on goal which he couldn't quite get enough power into. More importantly he saved our arses early on with a tackle on the edge of the box. Early on we had to endure a Man U onslaught which he dealt with in a disciplined and watchful way in unison with Toby and Verts.

Sissoko was never anywhere near Winks, he was mostly working with Aurier down the right . He came into the centre as play switched to the left . He was our first player to create an attack after a little weighted flick to Winks who broke free. Sissoko did a fair amount of defending with two professional fouls which halted attacks. He produced a through ball to Son which Son fluffed. A long diagonal right to left for Davies. A good ball through to Alli who didn't control it but probably should have. I noticed his duty when we get a corner is to stay upfield to stop breaks as he has pace.

He did not hide or stay close to anyone. He was directing play also with hand gestures to warn of danger and suggest wide balls instead of MF. I did not see any miscontrols resulting in any problems. I saw him win a tackle and break forward. Couple of negatives when he put in a cross from near the corner flag which hit the defender when he could have cut it back. He did win a corner from it though. A long shot along the ground didn't trouble the keeper was a bit of a waste although if he had hit it better who knows?

So my conclusions after the first half is he did ok. He did not hide, he made himself available independently of Winks mainly for Aurier. His position provided protection in MF which with Dembele and Wanyama missing was needed.

If Wana, and moose are out and Dier is not playing his normal DM position we have to play Sissoko in a central position. It's his best position and the only way we will get any consistency out of him. Not interested in him playing wide or as an AM he just isn't good enough in those positions. We would be better off giving a youngster a chance.