Man City v Latics-FA Cup 3rd Round-1970/71 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Man City v Latics-FA Cup 3rd Round-1970/71

When you think back we’ve been on a great journey but we always seem to be on the brink as a club. Some stability needed desperately or we’ll be back where we started.

Francis ripped us to pieces out wide and pretty much was the difference between the two sides. We played well. I was on the front row of the stand with the exec boxes. TV cameras were there. The old St Andrews had a huge terrace which was quite something after being used to Springfield Park!
Even though we lost, we still enjoyed a fantastic day out,
seeing Alf Ramsay and players like Francis,Bertschin, and Montgomery.

When you think back we’ve been on a great journey but we always seem to be on the brink as a club. Some stability needed desperately or we’ll be back where we started.
Bang on, i first saw Latics in the Cheshire League and what journey we've been on, but if you look at the Non-League Tables you will see a few teams that were in the Football League when we was in the Northern Premier League.

The Club cannot get complacent and take the EFL Football League for granted.

The City game ultimately cost us one of our greatest ever managers as Joe Mercer was so impressed by Gordon Milne that day when he left City to manage Coventry he made Gordon his number 2.

The club did have the BBC film of the City game, long before digital recordings etc. The BBC made the club pay for it.
In those days the film would be lent out to people who wanted to put on a film night of one of the club's great days.
Unfortunately, it was lent out one time too many, never returned and the only copy was never to be seen again.

A great read, about this match:

CITY 1 - WIGAN ATHLETIC 0
2nd January 1971
-- Attendance: 46,212

City

Corrigan, Book, Mann, Doyle, Booth, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Jeffries –
sub Carrodus(69)

Wigan Athletic:
Reeves, Turner, Sutherland, Milne, Coutts, Gillibrand, Temple, Todd, Davies, Fleming, Oates

City’s manager Joe Mercer gave his usual dignified verdict:
“We won. 1-0 but give praise to them. We got the win, but they take the glory”.

City’s senior coach Malcolm Allison was, as could be expected, more expansive amid his relief: “They are the finest non-league side l have ever seen,” he insisted.

Peter Slingsby gave Milne’s men a rapturous write up in the News of the World:
“These heroes from the mining community well deserved a draw against City,
the side who have won almost every major honour in the last few years.

“Wigan were drained of energy at the end as their 15,000 followers were joined by City’s relieved legions applauding them off”

There were, however some tangible rewards from Wigan Athletic’s first competitive encounter with the Blues. The picked up around £8,000 as their share of the Maine Road gate receipts, a princely sum a decade ago…

Link Below:
You know what the best thing is about this report?
it doesn’t mention anything about rugby.

I was there and at Birmingham and at Everton
I was there and at Birmingham….but not Everton….we worked in a large Stores when they mandated all weekend work to do a full physical stock take ….”three line whip…deepest of deep shit for them that don’t show!” …besides me there were some Liverpool fanatics who were desperate to get to their FA cup game with Forest ….due to Forest having taken their European Cup from them…they were furious at being forced to miss their game, as was I ….
luckily 40 odd years on I hardly think about it now and only boil with rage for twenty minutes at a time ….moved on….not bitter ….not one fucking bit !!!

On the morning of the match I was desperately trying to get our game on Laithwaite Park called off so I could get to Maine Road. There’d been a frost overnight and managed to get a local referee down in time to rule it unfit so I could make it to Maine Road.

I played for Wigan Boys’ Club at the time.
Anyone remember that place in Soho Street?

On the morning of the match I was desperately trying to get our game on Laithwaite Park called off so I could get to Maine Road. There’d been a frost overnight and managed to get a local referee down in time to rule it unfit so I could make it to Maine Road.

Vaguely, …wasn’t there a rifle or shooting club next door ?

The club did have the BBC film of the City game, long before digital recordings etc. The BBC made the club pay for it.
In those days the film would be lent out to people who wanted to put on a film night of one of the club's great days.
Unfortunately, it was lent out one time too many, never returned and the only copy was never to be seen again.
I think footage still exists. When we were in the PL, the BBC did a celebrity fans series, ours being Stuart Maconie. The didn't show any of the match but they did show the teams warming up with the line-ups indicating it is in their archives. Colin Bells goal is on the internet (in colour) but i don't think that is BBC footage.

Maybe the club should make renewed enquiries?

I was in the Air Training Corps who held their parades at the boys club back in the 1960's. I also played a few games for the boys club at the time and seem to remember a lad called Alan Bailey was our best player and one of the centre backs I think was Dave? Bloor.

I was in the Air Training Corps who held their parades at the boys club back in the 1960's. I also played a few games for the boys club at the time and seem to remember a lad called Alan Bailey was our best player and one of the centre backs I think was Dave? Bloor.
I played with Dave Bloor for Walmsleys works team. A big lad and played in goal when we beat Bethel in the Laithwaite Shield final in 1976.