Lovell..... | Vital Football

Lovell.....

Buddha

Vital Football Hero
...is a gypsy name!!!

I never knew that. Watched the, '60 days with the gypsies', programme on Channel 4 and one of the Romany women mentioned it.

Wonder if our Steve has any gypsy blood flowing through his veins...?!

...is a gypsy name!!!

I never knew that. Watched the, '60 days with the gypsies', programme on Channel 4 and one of the Romany women mentioned it.

Wonder if our Steve has any gypsy blood flowing through his veins...?!

It's actually from Norman France, and means young wolf. Don't take up Ancestry Bud lol

That's my maternal side of the family there 🙂

Hey, no offence intended to you, mate. I expect that many of us have some Norman blood. My issue is with the aristocratic land owning classes of the British Isles whose ancestors stole our common land.

This is taken from Nick Hayes brilliant book, 'The Book of Trespass':

"Commoners had long established rights not just to graze cattle and pigs, but to take wood (estovers), dig peat and gravel (turbary) and fish the ponds (piscary). The problem for William was that deer are easily spooked and require large tracts of land to live comfortably - and so to protect them, and for the first time in English history, the commoners and their cattle were barred from the land they used. These areas became known as forests, from the Latin foris, meaning 'outside of', because they were areas that operated outside of common law. Within these forests, another set of laws applied, ones that were intended not to promote equality and justice, but simply to fatten the deer for the King.

"And so began the cult of exclusion."

Last edited:
Hey, no offence intended to you, mate. I expect that many of us have some Norman blood. My issue is with the aristocratic land owning classes of the British Isles whose ancestors stole our common land.

"Commoners had long established rights not just to graze cattle and pigs, but to take wood (estovers), dig peat and gravel (turbary) and fish the ponds (piscary). The problem for William was that deer are easily spooked and require large tracts of land to live comfortably - and so to protect them, and for the first time in English history, the commoners and their cattle were barred from the land they used. These areas became known as forests, from the Latin foris, meaning 'outside of', because they were areas that operated outside of common law. Within these forests, another set of laws applied, ones that were intended not to promote equality and justice, but simply to fatten the deer for the King.

I'm not offended by something that happend in 1066 lol My family came over for the battle. From a place called Drury in northern France, the main guy called himself Son of Drury, so probably was part of the aristocracy. I'm from Strood, so any of that has been completely wiped lol

I'm not offended by something that happend in 1066 lol My family came over for the battle. From a place called Drury in northern France, the main guy called himself Son of Drury, so probably was part of the aristocracy. I'm from Strood, so any of that has been completely wiped lol

No aristocracy in Strood, lol?! Who'd have guessed?!

The invasion may have happened in 1066 but we're still paying the price nearly a thousand years later.

All that land. Belonging to so few. I honestly believe that if the English working classes really knew and understood the history they would be apoplectic with rage. And then the ruling class might have something to worry about.

The invasion may have happened in 1066 but we're still paying the price nearly a thousand years later.

All that land. Belonging to so few. I honestly believe that if the English working classes really knew and understood the history they would be apoplectic with rage. And then the ruling class might have something to worry about.

Yes, the last aristocrat left when Jerry moved away... 😉
A lot of the working classes probably thought they were better off being ruled by the French. I mean we have three McDs in Strood, so we're grateful for the French fries 🙂

Yes, the last aristocrat left when Jerry moved away... 😉
A lot of the working classes probably thought they were better off being ruled by the French. I mean we have three McDs in Strood, so we're grateful for the French fries 🙂

My sister had her dna test and we are 94% sarf east England britons plus a bit of yer viking stuff via nottingham.
Tracing back each branch mainly goes to 'agricultural labourers'.
- so pure chav.

My sister had her dna test and we are 94% sarf east England britons plus a bit of yer viking stuff via nottingham.
Tracing back each branch mainly goes to 'agricultural labourers'.
- so pure chav.

No, your sister is 94% sarf East England... The aristocracy is full of inbreds! 😉

lord Darnley owned most of the area and as the Earl of Cobham owned cobham woods etc.

Kent was the only area of England that did not have to follow all of the new Norman laws in exchange for allowing william to pass through without hinderance.

just one of the instances of britons to be under some form of slavery.

As that was not through the white side of the Atlantic slave trade then it obviously does not count.
i want reparations lol.

You might like this Buddha

https://tlio.org.uk/john-clare-and-the-tragedy-of-the-enclosures/

Much of Clare's work is in private ownership and the owner denies access even to scholars.

If you haven't read it yet try and get hold of a copy of The Village Labourer by J L Hammond & Barbara Hammond. That should boil your blood. Needless to say there is a concerted attempt to rewrite this history, which was shared by over 90% of our ancestors.

You might like this Buddha

https://tlio.org.uk/john-clare-and-the-tragedy-of-the-enclosures/

Much of Clare's work is in private ownership and the owner denies access even to scholars.

If you haven't read it yet try and get hold of a copy of The Village Labourer by J L Hammond & Barbara Hammond. That should boil your blood. Needless to say there is a concerted attempt to rewrite this history, which was shared by over 90% of our ancestors.

Thanks for the link, Jo. England's green and pleasant land, eh?! Wonderful rhyming couplets too! Interesting stuff, I'll take a closer look when I get a chance.

As for 'The Village Labourer', it appears to be available here:
https://www.readbookpage.com/pdf/the-village-labourer/

Ever thought about watching and posting about a Gills match, Buddha?

Why post this, Steve? Do you doubt I'm a Gills supporter?

I've watched hundreds of Gills games over the years. Admittedly, I've not been for a while but there are various reasons for that. I'm hoping to catch a game or two before the end of the season, and if I do, or when I next do, then there's a good chance I'll offer my thoughts on the match, as I often have in the past.

You don't have to read my non Gills posts. You certainly don't need to contribute. It'd be preferable actually, if you didn't.

I know it would have been simpler for me to just tell you to fuck off, which was my instinct when I read your post above, but that wouldn't have been very pleasant of me, would it now?