Lineup v Doncaster | Page 4 | Vital Football

Lineup v Doncaster

At one point (probs Half time) the stat was 60% Gills.

Maybe that turned 2nd half. But it didn’t sound like we were THAT starved of the ball. Just didn’t play as well as first half I heard. Was it actually ALL Donny 2nd half?

All Gills first half, all Donny second half - which explains the possession stats. Re the heat etc - Gills running in the first was exceptional, the work rate exceptional - that period was also probably the hottest weather-wise. Gills started this game really pumped - maybe that also accounted for some of the energy sapping too .

First away game - did not lose - first point on table - first goal - all positives on the way to promotion :)
With so many changes it will take a few games to gel so stop stressing lol.

I wonder if Garmston will start games especially at home, then if we in front Fuller will come on in his place to shore things up

Does anyone have an update on the man who was injured in our goal celebrations? It all seemed jovial enough when he was being treated in the stands but then took a turn for the worse in the concourse at half time.

Best wishes to him.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment Lancs. I would agree with most of your points apart from the fullbacks. For me Fuller first half gave the ball away too often and often kicked it out .. I counted 7 times kicked it out. His free kicks were dreadful and too straight and all went out of play behind the goal line. Granted he made some good tackles second half but he gives us nothing going forward, but this my opinion. To me the team looks unbalanced when he plays on the left. This game was crying out for Garmston ( and you know Im a big fan of his as I see how hard he works in training).. nice wide fast pitch. (hes played more preseason minutes and covered more distance than anyone preseason. Our full backs didn't use the overlap once although they were instructed to do so. Fuller also tends to drift centrally and with better passing from Doncaster he would have been in trouble as he was with their shot over the bar. Cisse for me wasn't quite on his game, too many misplaced passes. Although his height and presence is a big plus. I thought the Watford Loanee was very good. (Jud)It will be interesting to see who misses out when Willocks returns from injury. Byrne came on because he covers a lot of ground - however, what he does with that work rate is a different matter as Lancs alluded to.
Nice to see Scally walk past the Gills fans to a genuine applause. I think this was a big moment for him. He looks like hes lost a few pounds as well .. and not just from his wallet!
OK now for my bit... Totally agree about the conditions. It will take a few weeks before this team really sees the benefit of all the hard work that has been put in. No matter how fit you are its very difficult to maintain that level of fitness for 90 mins + in that heat. The legs are going to be heavy and the players will feel a little flat for a week or so. So now more sharpening and faster work is required to convert that speed endurance to very quick legs.
Evans also said their goal was a result of an error in the fullback position (Fuller). Perhaps he thought Fuller should have stopped the cross? When it’s chipped in Fuller is in no man’s land and their player converts first time with Ehmer unable to get a block.

A game of two halves, but a match full of promise for fans of the Gills.

Great atmosphere and sense of positive expectation among the Gills supporters pre-match. Duly enhanced by the team who, prior to leaving the pitch at end of warm up, were put in to a close circle by Paul Raynor who orchestrated a fast rhythmic hand clap from the players and what seemed like a practiced fan-out to face the Gills fans - hope they do that every game. A minute or so after that Paul Scally emerged at the front of the Gills contingent and received genuinely warm applause as he walked past clapping the fans. Well done one and all.

After all that it was no surprise that the Gills started the game with great energy and flew out of the traps. Gills were easily the better team for the first 40 minutes and we played some great pressing football with some really effective passing and running. The three Premiership loanees showed their class and on that performance will surely prove great pick-ups by the club. So often in the past we`ve not managed to get the best out of loanees - this trio are quality and play for the team. Ndjoli really looks the business; terrific pace and movement, great eye for a pass and looked very dangerous all through the first half. Jakubiak looks like a sniper and he also puts himself about. Jones was superb. Just seemed to do all the little things right, be in the right place and defend with an assuredness belying his age.

Tiredness took it`s toll later in the game but, for the first 40 minutes we ran Rovers ragged. The speed and tenacity of Charles-Cook was a real tonic and, as Eager Exile pointed out, Cisse looks a real handful in midfield. He was vocal in rallying team-mates and I suspect he`ll become popular with fans. He made several quality headed clearances from our defensive area and also adds much to our aerial attack from set pieces. Had we managed to take a 2-0 lead in the first half I don`t think that Donny would have come back. We deserved to be in the lead at HT but - it wasn`t to be. The Donny goal was beautifully glided in by their goal scorer. We had a superb view of the way the Rovers man executed his scoring flick - it was sublime and I don`t see that Bonham could have done much about it.

Second half was a different story. You know how a goal scored a minute before going in a HT often lifts a club - well it certainly did for Donny. Add to that a tiring team in blue and there was an inevitability about the change in momentum. Our defenders stood up to the challenge pretty well and Max and Jones were a lot busier in the second half than they were in the first. I thought we did OK. Barry Fuller was his usual never say die self and complimented his blue collar work rate with some well read quality interceptions of Donny passes. Sometimes we maybe forget that he has more than one string to his bow. Hodson had a mixed game. Made a few errors in early part of the game but grew in confidence throughout the ninety. Same with O`Keefe, who looks like a very welcome addition to our midfield.

When Ndjoli and Jakubiak went off on the hour mark we lost some shape and also, tbh, our offensive threat, as by that time Charles-Cook was also knackered. The subs, Marshall and List , went wide left and right. List was put in that wide left midfield position, a zone in which we rarely see the best of him IMO. Marshall made a couple of threatening runs from wide right but after just a few minutes we seemed to struggle to feed either our wide right or left sides. Cue another substitution. Mandron, surely, to replace RCC or Hanlon, who had played well, but looked tired and lacking a bit of incision. .... Nope, it was RCC off and Mark Byrne on, placed in quite a forward position - perhaps to add some linkage. Didn`t really work and, tbh, Byrne`s addition was not that effective. In the dying minutes Byrne found himself running into the box with the ball but for some reason, instead of continuing with what was a clearly promising situation, stalled his run and needlessly passed the ball out of the box to a Gills player who was beaten on the ball and Donny counter-attacked. Bit too negative by Byrne IMO. I`m wondering whether he might find it difficult to command a regular midfield start once we are up to strength.

So, a point a piece - the right result over ninety minutes of an entertaining game which was played in hot conditions with some very neat football from both teams. Given that our fitness will improve (notwithstanding that some of our guys seemed to run and run and run during a hot and busy first half - what do you think, Kettners ?) and we will have extra alternatives from the bench before long - Willock will surely be a starter, there`s good reason for optimism. Our three Premiership loanees look excellent value and there were lots of good signs on show. We`ve now got several players who seem capable of delivering the sort of excitement and entertainment that positively fuel the after-game conversations as we walk back to the car ! Only one game in, but i`m feeling really enthused after it !!!!
It’s funny how we all see games differently, I agree with most of your post apart from the Hodson had a mixed game and made a few mistakes in the first half. Having played at full back myself at a good level I think Hodson had an outstanding first half and didn’t put a foot wrong, the 2nd half he made one error with a short back pass to our keeper and didn’t get forward as much but after the clash of heads in the first half I’m surprised he played 2nd half. I thought Cook was outstanding and Bonham made some great saves.

It’s funny how we all see games differently, I agree with most of your post apart from the Hodson had a mixed game and made a few mistakes in the first half. Having played at full back myself at a good level I think Hodson had an outstanding first half and didn’t put a foot wrong, the 2nd half he made one error with a short back pass to our keeper and didn’t get forward as much but after the clash of heads in the first half I’m surprised he played 2nd half. I thought Cook was outstanding and Bonham made some great saves.

Hello, It`s Only a Game. Yes, i don`t suppose for one minute everyone sees/views a game in exactly the same way - and that`s fine. I wasn`t meaning to be negative about Hodson - I thought he did OK, put in a good debut shift. I saw a couple of errors first half but overall I thought he looked another good addition. Does anyone really expect a player to go through a whole game without making a minor mistake or two ? I don`t think so. We didn`t see much in the way of overlapping play from him but then, in the second half in particular, we were being pushed further and further back. I though the performance by the team, as a whole, wsa very encouraging.

Interesting that you played as a full back at a good level. I played at a very high level for a while, well for the two weeks I was in Chile anyway................

I think Hodson had an outstanding first half and didn’t put a foot wrong

I could be wrong but I think it was Hodson in the first half who hit a backpass too far away from Bonham under pressure and ended up conceding a corner. He looked nervous with the backpasses to me, as you mentioned there was another one in the 2nd half where he left it a bit too short and played Bonham into a bit of trouble. Thought he had a decent enough game apart from the backpasses though.