Lineup v Doncaster | Page 3 | Vital Football

Lineup v Doncaster

618 Gills fans

Sounded quite good first half (curtesy of ifollow). A bit huff and puff second half. Agree with what someone else said about SE still learning about the players.

Now I know it’s a new season, new players/staff etc. But 618 oooop north is a fucking great show. Well done lads whoever travelled. You should be proud of that. ?

Sounded quite good first half (curtesy of ifollow). A bit huff and puff second half. Agree with what someone else said about SE still learning about the players.

Now I know it’s a new season, new players/staff etc. But 618 oooop north is a fucking great show. Well done lads whoever travelled. You should be proud of that. ?
Yes I agree with your summary and a good following for a long journey.

It was very hot (must have been close to 30C at pitch level) and Donny had all the possession in the second half. We did a lot of chasing and it's not surprising we ran out of steam. There were also a few moments when players clearly weren't on the same wavelength yet, which is why we sometimes wasted possession.

But signs of promise. Teams won't pour through our midfield like last season. Jones MoM, Fuller very good and Hanlon worked his socks off. Cisse is a beast - if he keeps putting himself about he could be the best signing of all. And yes, the sub wingers did sod all so they deserved Evans' boot up their backside.

Great turnout from the fans...

I take your point about the temperature pitchside. Can't get an idea of that from iFollow. I didn't think Cisse or Ndjoli looked anything special, but I concede that being there and watching on a screen are two entirely different things. It's why I always value feedback from fans who were there.
Disappointed at the goal we conceded, happy with the goal we scored. whichever way you look at it a good point and an entertaining game.

Think most of us would have taken a point pre-game.

I liked SE comments about the subs. He agreed they made no impact and he apparently let them know he expected a lot more from particularly Marshall coming on fresh. He did say we never got the ball to List which was disappointing.

Happy to hear that possession stat further up the thread. 60% possessions wasn’t us at all last season. Be nice if we can be more of the dominating team this season.

I watched the Donny fans blog on YouTube. At half time he said we were definitely the better team, and their goal was their only chance. Shame we couldn’t keep it up.

Pity we were said by many to “run out of steam”. I thought we were going to be very fit this season. Maybe that will come.

Overall, gotta be happy with a point. Doubt many teams will get points at Donny this year.

Oh, and 618 travelling, that is brilliant for that distance.

On a similar note, I saw that Plymouth took 1700 to Crewe yesterday. Astonishing figure for that distance, and especially as they were just relegated. Kudos.

Just watched the highlights. We seemed to standoff their player for a long time before he chipped it into the box for the fella to volley home. We had enough players around him that one of them could have gone to him to close him down.

Disappointing goal to concede but equally I like the simplicity of ours. That's how easy it can be.

Happy with a point - home form is what will be really interesting

A game of two halves, but a match full of promise for fans of the Gills.

Great atmosphere and sense of positive expectation among the Gills supporters pre-match. Duly enhanced by the team who, prior to leaving the pitch at end of warm up, were put in to a close circle by Paul Raynor who orchestrated a fast rhythmic hand clap from the players and what seemed like a practiced fan-out to face the Gills fans - hope they do that every game. A minute or so after that Paul Scally emerged at the front of the Gills contingent and received genuinely warm applause as he walked past clapping the fans. Well done one and all.

After all that it was no surprise that the Gills started the game with great energy and flew out of the traps. Gills were easily the better team for the first 40 minutes and we played some great pressing football with some really effective passing and running. The three Premiership loanees showed their class and on that performance will surely prove great pick-ups by the club. So often in the past we`ve not managed to get the best out of loanees - this trio are quality and play for the team. Ndjoli really looks the business; terrific pace and movement, great eye for a pass and looked very dangerous all through the first half. Jakubiak looks like a sniper and he also puts himself about. Jones was superb. Just seemed to do all the little things right, be in the right place and defend with an assuredness belying his age.

Tiredness took it`s toll later in the game but, for the first 40 minutes we ran Rovers ragged. The speed and tenacity of Charles-Cook was a real tonic and, as Eager Exile pointed out, Cisse looks a real handful in midfield. He was vocal in rallying team-mates and I suspect he`ll become popular with fans. He made several quality headed clearances from our defensive area and also adds much to our aerial attack from set pieces. Had we managed to take a 2-0 lead in the first half I don`t think that Donny would have come back. We deserved to be in the lead at HT but - it wasn`t to be. The Donny goal was beautifully glided in by their goal scorer. We had a superb view of the way the Rovers man executed his scoring flick - it was sublime and I don`t see that Bonham could have done much about it.

Second half was a different story. You know how a goal scored a minute before going in a HT often lifts a club - well it certainly did for Donny. Add to that a tiring team in blue and there was an inevitability about the change in momentum. Our defenders stood up to the challenge pretty well and Max and Jones were a lot busier in the second half than they were in the first. I thought we did OK. Barry Fuller was his usual never say die self and complimented his blue collar work rate with some well read quality interceptions of Donny passes. Sometimes we maybe forget that he has more than one string to his bow. Hodson had a mixed game. Made a few errors in early part of the game but grew in confidence throughout the ninety. Same with O`Keefe, who looks like a very welcome addition to our midfield.

When Ndjoli and Jakubiak went off on the hour mark we lost some shape and also, tbh, our offensive threat, as by that time Charles-Cook was also knackered. The subs, Marshall and List , went wide left and right. List was put in that wide left midfield position, a zone in which we rarely see the best of him IMO. Marshall made a couple of threatening runs from wide right but after just a few minutes we seemed to struggle to feed either our wide right or left sides. Cue another substitution. Mandron, surely, to replace RCC or Hanlon, who had played well, but looked tired and lacking a bit of incision. .... Nope, it was RCC off and Mark Byrne on, placed in quite a forward position - perhaps to add some linkage. Didn`t really work and, tbh, Byrne`s addition was not that effective. In the dying minutes Byrne found himself running into the box with the ball but for some reason, instead of continuing with what was a clearly promising situation, stalled his run and needlessly passed the ball out of the box to a Gills player who was beaten on the ball and Donny counter-attacked. Bit too negative by Byrne IMO. I`m wondering whether he might find it difficult to command a regular midfield start once we are up to strength.

So, a point a piece - the right result over ninety minutes of an entertaining game which was played in hot conditions with some very neat football from both teams. Given that our fitness will improve (notwithstanding that some of our guys seemed to run and run and run during a hot and busy first half - what do you think, Kettners ?) and we will have extra alternatives from the bench before long - Willock will surely be a starter, there`s good reason for optimism. Our three Premiership loanees look excellent value and there were lots of good signs on show. We`ve now got several players who seem capable of delivering the sort of excitement and entertainment that positively fuel the after-game conversations as we walk back to the car ! Only one game in, but i`m feeling really enthused after it !!!!

Thanks for that Lancs - now for the first home game. There's enough new blood in the team I would think to eclipse any trepidation by players around for last season's home games - we were generally very lucky with games we saw on the road. So, it should be more of a case of the crowd being up for it than dwelling on the past.

I’ve not got much more to add to what’s been said overall. My God RCC and Hanlan were impressive until running out of steam - great intensity even when chasing back, always seemed to make the right decisions, did well with the ball when normally with League 1 players the ball would run away from them or a defender would prove too much. They seem to offer different dimensions of the play to what they offered last season.

I liked the look of Jones too, and Njoli, Jajubiak and Cisse look a better quality of player as long as they can keep to that level a bit more. I was indifferent to Hodgson, but I reckon he’ll end up being one of our better players. As someone else said, he looked a bit nervy.

List played out wide when he came on - at times even Ehmer was further up than him whenever we had a free kick not far over halfway late on in the game.

For their first proper game I’m optimistic.

For all the talk of Evans trusting only his new players after the recent clear-out, 4 remaining players still started and had key matches. A further two came on as subs.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment Lancs. I would agree with most of your points apart from the fullbacks. For me Fuller first half gave the ball away too often and often kicked it out .. I counted 7 times kicked it out. His free kicks were dreadful and too straight and all went out of play behind the goal line. Granted he made some good tackles second half but he gives us nothing going forward, but this my opinion. To me the team looks unbalanced when he plays on the left. This game was crying out for Garmston ( and you know Im a big fan of his as I see how hard he works in training).. nice wide fast pitch. (hes played more preseason minutes and covered more distance than anyone preseason. Our full backs didn't use the overlap once although they were instructed to do so. Fuller also tends to drift centrally and with better passing from Doncaster he would have been in trouble as he was with their shot over the bar. Cisse for me wasn't quite on his game, too many misplaced passes. Although his height and presence is a big plus. I thought the Watford Loanee was very good. (Jud)It will be interesting to see who misses out when Willocks returns from injury. Byrne came on because he covers a lot of ground - however, what he does with that work rate is a different matter as Lancs alluded to.
Nice to see Scally walk past the Gills fans to a genuine applause. I think this was a big moment for him. He looks like hes lost a few pounds as well .. and not just from his wallet!
OK now for my bit... Totally agree about the conditions. It will take a few weeks before this team really sees the benefit of all the hard work that has been put in. No matter how fit you are its very difficult to maintain that level of fitness for 90 mins + in that heat. The legs are going to be heavy and the players will feel a little flat for a week or so. So now more sharpening and faster work is required to convert that speed endurance to very quick legs.

Cant really understand the issues with fitness; we've played several more pre-season games than usual, and SE kept stressing fitness; so why the big drop off 2nd half. Willock maybe not up to the physical needs of Lge 1 . Looks like we could be in for many draws this season, as defence looks ok but goals could be hard to come by. Mid-table I expect. Will SE stay calm through that?

I think that's a pretty fair assessment Lancs. I would agree with most of your points apart from the fullbacks. For me Fuller first half gave the ball away too often and often kicked it out .. I counted 7 times kicked it out. His free kicks were dreadful and too straight and all went out of play behind the goal line. Granted he made some good tackles second half but he gives us nothing going forward, but this my opinion. To me the team looks unbalanced when he plays on the left. This game was crying out for Garmston ( and you know Im a big fan of his as I see how hard he works in training).. nice wide fast pitch. (hes played more preseason minutes and covered more distance than anyone preseason. Our full backs didn't use the overlap once although they were instructed to do so. Fuller also tends to drift centrally and with better passing from Doncaster he would have been in trouble as he was with their shot over the bar. Cisse for me wasn't quite on his game, too many misplaced passes. Although his height and presence is a big plus. I thought the Watford Loanee was very good. (Jud)It will be interesting to see who misses out when Willocks returns from injury. Byrne came on because he covers a lot of ground - however, what he does with that work rate is a different matter as Lancs alluded to.
Nice to see Scally walk past the Gills fans to a genuine applause. I think this was a big moment for him. He looks like hes lost a few pounds as well .. and not just from his wallet!
OK now for my bit... Totally agree about the conditions. It will take a few weeks before this team really sees the benefit of all the hard work that has been put in. No matter how fit you are its very difficult to maintain that level of fitness for 90 mins + in that heat. The legs are going to be heavy and the players will feel a little flat for a week or so. So now more sharpening and faster work is required to convert that speed endurance to very quick legs.

I see your points about the left side defence, kettners. Yes, he (Barry) could have done better with some of the free-kicks, where angled deliveries were probably the better option. His value for me, though, was amplified in the second when we were more under the cosh and we needed to display top end battle factor. In the first, we managed to take the game to Rovers without relying too much on running full backs but, on the other hand, we conceded the goal from a position which arguably could have been better defended. Bradley, IMO, has more to offer going forward than anyone else at LB and when he`s on his game he is a super player. I suppose it`s a good problem for SE to have !

Interesting to hear your take on the fitness issues. On the grounds (no pun intended) that we appear to be on track (still no pun intended !) I remain uplifted and enthused about how well this Gills squad could to do this season.

BTW, "and you know Im a big fan of his as I see how hard he works in training" - ;) nice one kettners.

Love these recent in depth reports. Cheers guys.

Also loving Kettners “inside” training knowledge. Keep it up mate.

Interesting the comments about, particularly Regan Charles-Cooke. There were a couple of guys on twitter also reckoned RCC was brilliant and had his best game yet in a Gills shirt.

Why would the heat affect Gills's players more than Donny's? Worrying.

One or two comments above suggest we had more than the 36% possession reported by the BBC?

[QUOTEWhy would the heat affect Gills's players more than Donny's? Worrying.][/QUOTE]

Not really worrying. We had no possession in the second half and had to do all the chasing which was bound to tell. If there was a fault it was our inability to keep the ball.

Why would the heat affect Gills's players more than Donny's? Worrying.

One or two comments above suggest we had more than the 36% possession reported by the BBC?

At one point (probs Half time) the stat was 60% Gills.

Maybe that turned 2nd half. But it didn’t sound like we were THAT starved of the ball. Just didn’t play as well as first half I heard. Was it actually ALL Donny 2nd half?