Lineup v Bristol R | Page 7 | Vital Football

Lineup v Bristol R

Off the Gas Board
"Gillingham everything you need in league 1 with a mid table budget.
Big, tough , experienced , hardworking , confident and organised."

"How to play football in league one just demonstrated by Gillingham. A few passes from one end to the other at speed and bingo!"

Their match thread also opened with an argument about who was supposed to start it.

Very strange people

We can play..We played better without Graham? Efficient? Other fans appreciate us?

All pleasantly surprising but surely the biggest bombshell there is the mid table budget?

Where are those Gills "fans" now who were claiming Bristol Rovers, with their (fictional) ultra billionaire backing, were going to walk the league, and bizarrely seem to revel in the Gills losing some of their best players?!?! Man up, twats, and identify yourself!

No one “claimed” Rovers were splashing cash. They just were, it’s not fictional.

And I’m not sure anyone on here claimed they were going to walk the league, but I think a lot of folk in L1 thought Rovers were going to be a force.

That’s why they got rid of one manager recently (when I think they were actually above us) because with the money and wages they spent the owners expected to be challenging near the top.

Wages is why both Brandon and Max went there and maybe in Hanlon’s case given a promise of 1st team football. They also paid big wages to another one or 2 “ins” and I believe paid a couple of transfer fees. They definitely operated in a different market to us pre-season but I’m delighted to report we seem to have got the better players.

Gaschat forum is making a heck of a read at the moment. “Worse Rovers side ever” is popping up in a few comments 👍

Most don’t seem to rate Max at all, but Hanlan is still generally liked, apart from lack of goals that is. From comments it appears their squad contains 100 defenders, 100 midfielders and just 3 strikers who have virtually no league goals in their careers.

Not a happy place at the moment over there.

I thoroughly enjoyed that, the pointless bending the knee aside. For the second league game running, we've been involved in a good match and this time we got the win we deserved.

First half was a cracking half. Both teams had a lot of chances and we deservedly got a lead from Oliver and could have easily got at least one more with Akinde and Oliver spurning very good chances, but Rovers themselves were wasteful too and could have easily scored. Saying that, neither keeper was made to work, the goal aside, which I thought the keeper could have done better with.

Second half was a bit more circumspect. We continued on the front foot and had a few chances, but I am struggling to think of anything particular Rovers did to threaten us. There were a couple of tidy saves from Bonham, but nothing ground breaking. A lovely breakaway goal from Oliver. A game we thoroughly deserved to win and did.

In terms of our set up... I think that back four is top drawer at this level and the best we have. I've been harking on for ages that Tucker and Ogilvie are our best CBs; Jackson is really our only Right Back; and O'Connor is a quality LB. The midfield three of Mackenzie, Robertson and Dempsey was ace, and the front three of Akinde, Oliver and Samuel caused them all sorts of problems. Oliver was MoM for his two goals and great effort - I don't agree with Peter Lloyd's obsession that he's pedestrianly slow (ditto for what Lloyd says about Akinde) - they are big lads and not ultra quick, but they are generally quick enough to outpace carthorse League One defenders as the first goal proved. The big two lads up front caused no host of problems for Rover tonight and I hope we stick with that going forward. Also, a word for Samuel, who has been rightly much criticised, but personally I thought he did well tonight in an unatural role - he started off behind the front two, but ended up on the right wing. I thought he put in a good shift.

Also, a note for those former Gills' players, who I liked when they were at GFC.... I only really noticed Max when he was thrust forward at the end and did sweet FA (he was all over the place for the first goal), but he was more of an attacking threat than Hanlan, who was utterlu useless - no way I'd replace him for any of Akinde, Oliver, Samuel or Graham.

Where are those Gills "fans" now who were claiming Bristol Rovers, with their (fictional) ultra billionaire backing, were going to walk the league, and bizarrely seem to revel in the Gills losing some of their best players?!?! Man up, twats, and identify yourself!
God, it was so good after a relatively comfortable victory to read the comments. Top half, good form after a forgivable blip, in sight of the play-offs with games in hand. Then you chimed in.

Fucking sort yourself out, Steve. It’s not healthy to still be fuming on a message board, stewing over an opinion you disagreed with half a year ago. Over what? I’m not even talking about the kneeling. Me saying Bristol Rovers look like they have more money than us and will therefore probably do better? I didn’t expect they’d turn Max to shit, or make Hanlan their main striker. I didn’t expect such shit coaching.

Any Bristol Rovers thread since you feel you have to make a dig at me. Any Charlton thread you make a dig at me. Anything else I’ve missed?

What’s the point even debating about such normal things if it just going to upset someone so much.

Last edited:
Off the Gas Board
"Gillingham everything you need in league 1 with a mid table budget.
Big, tough , experienced , hardworking , confident and organised."

"How to play football in league one just demonstrated by Gillingham. A few passes from one end to the other at speed and bingo!"

Their match thread also opened with an argument about who was supposed to start it.

Very strange people

I’d like to think that first quote is how my mrs would describe me.........but she would probably point to the second.

The tribunal must have met to set Hanlan's fee by now, shirley?

Let's hope they don't attend a Brizzle game before assessing their valuation.

The other weird thing about Rovers supposedly having money is that they could not persuade Clarke-Harris to stay. Posh's dosh was obviously too tempting even if they were already minted but they should rue it now.

God, it was so good after a relatively comfortable victory to read the comments. Top half, good form after a forgivable blip, in sight of the play-offs with games in hand. Then you chimed in.

Fucking sort yourself out, Steve. It’s not healthy to still be fuming on a message board, stewing over an opinion you disagreed with half a year ago. Over what? I’m not even talking about the kneeling. Me saying Bristol Rovers look like they have more money than us and will therefore probably do better? I didn’t expect they’d turn Max to shit, or make Hanlan their main striker. I didn’t expect such shit coaching.

Any Bristol Rovers thread since you feel you have to make a dig at me. Any Charlton thread you make a dig at me. Anything else I’ve missed?

What’s the point even debating about such normal things if it just going to upset someone so much.
ST does come across as Mr Angry a lot of the time. Fortunately I tend to agree with his footie posts but when it comes to politics he is equally ascerbic to "lefties" like me. I expected him to be from Tunbridge Wells rather than Ashford. :-)

He will think you are "whining" or have a "chip on your shoulder" after that post.

Looking at the stats (I know they don't mean everything) and the scoreline, I see the Spotters served up their returning fans a real treat last night against low flying Dons. Snigger.

In a pre match interview on BBC one of their officials bemoaned the fact that a lot of their "fans" come from Kent so couldn't attend. Ah, what a shame.

Just seen the goals. Great play for the second and shall we say direct for the first but effective!

Need to follow up with a win at the weekend and build some momentum.

On the highlights interesting to see a few fans in other stadiums, although many tier 2s were only allowed 1000 not 2000. Maybe we dodged a bullet trying to arrange which 1000 to let in !!

I followed the game on twitter on my new phone. A combination of my less than nimble fingers and a poorly loaded team sheet led me to believe that we had packed midfield and had only Akinde up front. Happily that was not the case and we pulled out a star performance without our main man. Thanks for the report Steve, very good but lose the knee comments no one is much agitated.

I have owned Senheiser rechargeable cordless headphones for many years. Great sound quality, great battery life and no knocking drinks over when we score. Brilliant.

You seem a bit salty, Trev and have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. I posted a fairly detailed report on the match and had little a pop at the end at those negative critics pre-season - wasn't intended as a personal pop at you. It was a pop at those who were blowing smoke up the arse of Bristol Rovers at the start of the season (I'm not sad enough to remember what your or any one else's indivdual views on it were, but it seem that you were one of them). I doubted the claims that Rovers were going to do anything special and that they had the sort of budget a lot of people were claiming. Funnily enough, Rovers fans clearly agree with me, as per the quote from their board that we and they have a mid table budget and effectively we've invested it well and managed those players wisely and they haven't.

I for one am glad that I've been proved right and hope it continues in us moving further up the table and Rovers creeping even more into that relegation zone!

Last edited:
In a pre match interview on BBC one of their officials bemoaned the fact that a lot of their "fans" come from Kent so couldn't attend. Ah, what a shame.

They'd be better off supporting one of their local Kent teams (league or none league), or alternatively, if they are going to bandwagon jump and support a London team, maybe they should choose a good one!

Thanks for the report Steve, very good but lose the knee comments no one is much agitated.

No disrespect, Jo, I won't change my views and comments because you say so. I'll "lose the knee comments" when they stop wasting their time doing it (even 58 agrees with me on this one, which must be a first on something which has broadly political undertones!)

You seem a bit salty, Trev and have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. I posted a fairly detailed report on the match and had little a pop at the end at those negative critics pre-season - wasn't intended as a personal pop at you. It was a pop at those who were blowing smoke up the arse of Bristol Rovers at the start of the season (I'm not sad enough to remember what your or any one else's indivdual views on it were, but it seem that you were one of them). I doubted the claims that Rovers were going to do anything special and that they had the sort of budget a lot of people were claiming. Funnily enough, Rovers fans clearly agree with me, as per the quote from their board that we and they have a mid table budget and effectively we've invested it well and managed those players wisely and they haven't.

I for one am glad that I've been proved right and hope it continues in us moving further up the table and Rovers creeping even more into that relegation zone!

I wasn`t one of the "smoke blowers" and thought that Rovers had over valued the worth of both Ehmer and Hanlon. But, despite being poor last night and, apparently in recent weeks, i`d say, budgets aside, it`s a bit early into the marathon to be glad that you have been proved right about them. We`re only 14 games in and a lot is bound to change between now and the end of the season.

As I remember it, a few people pointed out that Bristol Rovers clearly had more money than us, as their owner cleared their debts (20m+, I think it was), and as such thought that with money to spend, they could do well. Feel free to try to find a single quote from anyone suggesting they were going to walk the league, or revelling in us losing some of our best players (although I'm fairly sure I already know what your reply will be).

I have owned Senheiser rechargeable cordless headphones for many years. Great sound quality, great battery life and no knocking drinks over when we score. Brilliant.

I didn't knock a drink over (never done that!) It was the TV that nearly went to the graveyard lol