Lineup v Bristol R | Page 6 | Vital Football

Lineup v Bristol R

Seriously though I was concerned about Hanlon tonight but as Gills 58 said “Was he on the pitch”?

Max Ehmer didn’t shine either and is taking serious criticism on the BR site
Hanlan: I might be in the minority but I quite rated him. But playing in the middle with his back to goal? Not his game. At all.

Ehmer: Typical "Bad Max" performance, he has them now and then, gets caught ball-watching a bit and his distribution goes from average to poor.

Good stuff, Gills. Very hard working team tonight, fully deserved the win, even though Rovers, apart from Oztumer, were poor. Was worried that Hanlon might bag a goal against us but he was totally overshadowed and not allowed the slightest look-in by Tucker and Ogilvie. I wouldn`t swap either of our front two for Hanlon.

Well done Gills and the management team - did a number on Rovers - good tactics, albeit the loss of Graham forced some of it. UTG

Certainly the best ive seen us play this season. thats made my week! Rovers commentary team were good too. I was going to switch back at half time but kept on listening. That said - for some reason they seemed to think maradona is reborn and playing for them and called oztumer.
In fairness I'd love to have Oztumer in our team. Always rated him. Wasted on Rovers (a pearl amongst swine) and in this division tbh.

Off the Gas Board
"Gillingham everything you need in league 1 with a mid table budget.
Big, tough , experienced , hardworking , confident and organised."

"How to play football in league one just demonstrated by Gillingham. A few passes from one end to the other at speed and bingo!"

Their match thread also opened with an argument about who was supposed to start it.

Very strange people

Very decent away win that. I too was fearing the worst against ex-players and without Graham and Medley.

And 2 very good goals. Finish for the first and build up for the 2nd both quality. Could/should have had a couple more.

Btw, has the club made any statement about Jordan and Zech being injured? We know Graham was holding his hammy, but nothing about Medley. Be nice to be informed. Unless they are trying to keep opposition from knowing.

Off the Gas Board
"Gillingham...........,,,
Big, tough , experienced , hardworking , confident and organised."

Makes me want to shed a tear hearing that from the opposition 🥲

Although, I think I prefer us to be hated. “Long ball, cynical, negative, boring twats” I’m more used to and says the same thing.

Well, as I posted after saturdays disappointment, I fully expected a performance tonight and thought SE would too. We surely got one. Now Rovers were dogshit, but they were our next opponents and so you can only play and beat who is in front of you, but imo we were in no danger of losing at all during any point of tonight.
Like many others I was worried with Graham out, but if anything it altered our game plan and Rovers could not cope. We had most of the ball (and the best chances) first half and went into halftime deservedly leading. In fact, only 1 up flattered them. Second half, apart from a couple of long rangers they still offered nothing. I think Robertson and Dempseyin midfield is surely the way forward. As I posted during the game I am also increasing impressed with Mackenzie. He does the ugly stuff well,with no fuss, but has a great eye for a pass too.
Oliver got both goals and probably MOTM, but Akinde definitely deserves a mention too. He worked incredibly hard, seemed to pop up everywhere and deserved a goal.
I thought tonight would’ve been a good test for young Tucker and Ogilvie. They obviously know Hanlan and Ehmers games, but could’ve got drawn in to niggily fouls quite easily. They didn’t, and tbh showed that Hanlan (in particular) is no great loss.

Incredibly satisfied tonight. UTG !

😎

Well, as I posted after saturdays disappointment, I fully expected a performance tonight and thought SE would too. We surely got one. Now Rovers were dogshit, but they were our next opponents and so you can only play and beat who is in front of you, but imo we were in no danger of losing at all during any point of tonight.
Like many others I was worried with Graham out, but if anything it altered our game plan and Rovers could not cope. We had most of the ball (and the best chances) first half and went into halftime deservedly leading. In fact, only 1 up flattered them. Second half, apart from a couple of long rangers they still offered nothing. I think Robertson and Dempseyin midfield is surely the way forward. As I posted during the game I am also increasing impressed with Mackenzie. He does the ugly stuff well,with no fuss, but has a great eye for a pass too.
Oliver got both goals and probably MOTM, but Akinde definitely deserves a mention too. He worked incredibly hard, seemed to pop up everywhere and deserved a goal.
I thought tonight would’ve been a good test for young Tucker and Ogilvie. They obviously know Hanlan and Ehmers games, but could’ve got drawn in to niggily fouls quite easily. They didn’t, and tbh showed that Hanlan (in particular) is no great loss.

Incredibly satisfied tonight. UTG !

😎
Great summary 👍

I thoroughly enjoyed that, the pointless bending the knee aside. For the second league game running, we've been involved in a good match and this time we got the win we deserved.

First half was a cracking half. Both teams had a lot of chances and we deservedly got a lead from Oliver and could have easily got at least one more with Akinde and Oliver spurning very good chances, but Rovers themselves were wasteful too and could have easily scored. Saying that, neither keeper was made to work, the goal aside, which I thought the keeper could have done better with.

Second half was a bit more circumspect. We continued on the front foot and had a few chances, but I am struggling to think of anything particular Rovers did to threaten us. There were a couple of tidy saves from Bonham, but nothing ground breaking. A lovely breakaway goal from Oliver. A game we thoroughly deserved to win and did.

In terms of our set up... I think that back four is top drawer at this level and the best we have. I've been harking on for ages that Tucker and Ogilvie are our best CBs; Jackson is really our only Right Back; and O'Connor is a quality LB. The midfield three of Mackenzie, Robertson and Dempsey was ace, and the front three of Akinde, Oliver and Samuel caused them all sorts of problems. Oliver was MoM for his two goals and great effort - I don't agree with Peter Lloyd's obsession that he's pedestrianly slow (ditto for what Lloyd says about Akinde) - they are big lads and not ultra quick, but they are generally quick enough to outpace carthorse League One defenders as the first goal proved. The big two lads up front caused no host of problems for Rover tonight and I hope we stick with that going forward. Also, a word for Samuel, who has been rightly much criticised, but personally I thought he did well tonight in an unatural role - he started off behind the front two, but ended up on the right wing. I thought he put in a good shift.

Also, a note for those former Gills' players, who I liked when they were at GFC.... I only really noticed Max when he was thrust forward at the end and did sweet FA (he was all over the place for the first goal), but he was more of an attacking threat than Hanlan, who was utterlu useless - no way I'd replace him for any of Akinde, Oliver, Samuel or Graham.

Where are those Gills "fans" now who were claiming Bristol Rovers, with their (fictional) ultra billionaire backing, were going to walk the league, and bizarrely seem to revel in the Gills losing some of their best players?!?! Man up, twats, and identify yourself!

I thought Ogilvie was immense tonight. Managed to watch the second half at work without anyone noticing and thoroughly enjoyed the performance
How did you stifle your celebration of the second goal ?
Mmmmmmm yeah ( under your breath) 🥱