#LincolnNonLeagueHorrorStories | Page 2 | Vital Football

#LincolnNonLeagueHorrorStories

17 March 2012: 2-0 down to Bath City after just four minutes with Robbie Williams at centre-half. Relegation felt inevitable.

I have vivid memories of that game. Came in from golf absolutely soaking wet through, decided to have a bath while listening to the imps on the radio. By the time I'd finished running the bath we were two down (1 was a penno IIRC?) and the radio was switched off before I threw it out of the window in frustration, cue missus legging it up stairs to ask what the matter was...

Playing South Liverpool in the 1987/88 season, we even took a replay to beat them unbelievable!.

Now that really was a dump! Please note the natural ventilation in the stand roof. I seem to remember opposite there was just the framework of a stand all rusting away but nothing else.

For those younger ones this is not the ground abandoned this is what it was like when we played there!!!

View attachment 32352
at least its got a roof on.....er hang on

Nothing will be worse than the 3-0 capitulation at Carshalton under Holdsworth. I told my son that it wouldn't get worse than this and thankfully I was right.

Got to agree on this one buddy.Reflecting on the evening I remember standing on the halfway line and could hear Steve Thompson and Hortin commentating from a small stand behind me whilst the opposition pummeled us and it was an issue of expectation where after the aberration of the home draw we thought the team would perform and carry us one step nearer Wembley.(joke)
Surprisingly this game was only in 2012 and the amount of related Youtube footage loaded is shocking.
I have pulled down 2 links,one is the home leg the other the replay at Carshalton and the former shows a very sparsely populated Sinny Bank(Stacey West closed) both clips are 14 mins of torture but part of recent history

Footnote I attended both games with Ketterin imp, a lad who has the pride of achievement of attending every single City game of the 1987/88 season(home and away) and he saw some dog excrement during that season.

Nothing will be worse than the 3-0 capitulation at Carshalton under Holdsworth. I told my son that it wouldn't get worse than this and thankfully I was right.

Agree although you’ve done us a disservice. Jake Sheridan scored a nice curler from the left late on to make it 3-1.

I went to this game as it was only an hour away from my uni. Remember getting to Carshalton and walking into a pub to ask where the ground was. The only response I got was “what ground?”.

It’s up there for most disillusioned I’ve been with Lincoln, just asking myself what’s the point and what do I get out of it.

Agree although you’ve done us a disservice. Jake Sheridan scored a nice curler from the left late on to make it 3-1.

I went to this game as it was only an hour away from my uni. Remember getting to Carshalton and walking into a pub to ask where the ground was. The only response I got was “what ground?”.

It’s up there for most disillusioned I’ve been with Lincoln, just asking myself what’s the point and what do I get out of it.
nadir.jpg

One that sticks out to me is the fa trophy game against North Ferriby. I don't think it was even that late in the competition, but we were doing pretty poorly in the league (as usual) and this seemed like a chance to get a cup run going. I wasn't the only who thought this either. It was a pretty decent crowd for a cup game (over 2000), but we were all squashed in the Co op lower. Though North feriby were bank rolled at the time and doing well in the league, I thought we would do well. How wrong I was. We were battered and lost 4 0.
I invited a few friends to that, sure a nice victory would inspire them to become regulars

I must admit the Carshalton defeat probably tops my nomination of the Whitehawk game. Although the Whitehawk one sticks in my mind because I had never heard of them beforehand but they still managed to put 5 past us. Truth be told anyone could beat us during those dark days.

All behind us now thank god. Although having lived through those bad times makes these good times taste even sweeter.

Got to agree on this one buddy.Reflecting on the evening I remember standing on the halfway line and could hear Steve Thompson and Hortin commentating from a small stand behind me whilst the opposition pummeled us and it was an issue of expectation where after the aberration of the home draw we thought the team would perform and carry us one step nearer Wembley.(joke)
Surprisingly this game was only in 2012 and the amount of related Youtube footage loaded is shocking.
I have pulled down 2 links,one is the home leg the other the replay at Carshalton and the former shows a very sparsely populated Sinny Bank(Stacey West closed) both clips are 14 mins of torture but part of recent history

Footnote I attended both games with Ketterin imp, a lad who has the pride of achievement of attending every single City game of the 1987/88 season(home and away) and he saw some dog excrement during that season.

When you look at those highlights what is truly shocking compared to now is the apparent lack of effort and cohesion by the players it just looks like they are going through the motions! It really makes you shudder as to how things got so bad!

10th September 2011.

City 0 Kettering 2.

They looked like a Sunday league team. I thought we'd go "nap" at least. Before much time elapsed we'd sunk to their level and, when they scored, heads dropped so low there was mud on every chin. A totally abject performance.

Awful times.

Carshalton, North Ferriby were bad but this was early in the first season back in the Conference and gave us an illustration of how bad things were going to be.

I'll throw in 10th January, 2015. Lost 4-0 to Eastleigh, Nolan sent off for a horrific tackle early on, and then I'm sure they went on to miss three penalties, which could've made it 7-0. I stuck it out almost until the end, when Tomlinson skied one over the bar which seemed easier to score, followed by the trek back through to the station before it got pitch black. Lovely day!

We battered Kettering in that game. How we lost that I'll never know.

Losing 1-0 at home to already relegated Hayes and Yeading wasn't a great one.

The one for me was in the Conference first time round we had already lost 4-2 at Barnet and 3-0 at Weymouth so went to an early season away game at Runcorn.

We were dreadful that night and lost 4-1, one of the goals was a complete mix up between Batch and a defender and defensively we were all over the place.

Says a lot about Murph's management skills that we won the league as leaving the ground that night if you had told me that 8 months later we would win the league I would have sent for the men in white coats!!!

The 4-0 defeat to Tamworth in 2011 really brought home to me how far we had fallen. It turned out to be Tilson's last game in charge although things didn't really improve afterwards The 3-1 defeat to Carshalton is up there too.

When you look at those highlights what is truly shocking compared to now is the apparent lack of effort and cohesion by the players it just looks like they are going through the motions! It really makes you shudder as to how things got so bad!

Alan Power was on display and doing his best but that just wasn`t good enough.

Those were the good old days when season tickets were for the real hardcore skins, you could sit anywhere in the Coop and none of this queuing for the bogs and getting delayed on the way out.............and only a few years ago!