LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 24 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

The first picture is how I remember things later in the decade, with the Saracens Head and two-way traffic on the High Street.

I'm guessing the Imps picture must have been at the friendly match with Coventry at the end of April 1976.

I always find the people in these pictures fascinating - the chip shop queue for instance, there is a massive queue of a cross section of people and some kids in the corner playing space invaders!

in YouTube someone has uploaded a video of the first Christmas market 1987. even the young people look old - the faces hairstyles and clothes.

Yes, it was removed from the bridge in 1939 because of fears about its weight.

The church beyond the Stonebow - St Peter at Arches - the "City church", was demolished in the 1930s. There is the oft heard myth that it was rebuilt as St Giles church. Although some of the fancy bits of St Peter's were incorporated into St Giles, the latter church is brick built (and larger) while St Peter's was stone.

In the 1920s, as well as St Peter's being redundant, there was St Benedict's which had been closed for many years. The decision was taken to preserve one and demolish the other.

I always find the people in these pictures fascinating - the chip shop queue for instance, there is a massive queue of a cross section of people and some kids in the corner playing space invaders!

in YouTube someone has uploaded a video of the first Christmas market 1987. even the young people look old - the faces hairstyles and clothes.
Thanks for mentioning about the clip on YouTube. Try as I might I didn't recognise anyone.
I have a feeling, though, that the first Xmas Market was back in 1983. I remember going to the one in 1985 and have been to most since then.
In those days the only way in and out of the Castle was through the East Gate. The West Gate wasn't open then. By mid afternoon on a Saturday there was usually a massive crowd of people outside shoving one way to get in to the Castle grounds, and another inside shoving to get out. It was like being in the mosh pit at a Black Sabbath concert, except much more fun that that! Health & Safety would have a duck fit if those conditions were replicated now!

Thanks for mentioning about the clip on YouTube. Try as I might I didn't recognise anyone.
I have a feeling, though, that the first Xmas Market was back in 1983. I remember going to the one in 1985 and have been to most since then.
In those days the only way in and out of the Castle was through the East Gate. The West Gate wasn't open then. By mid afternoon on a Saturday there was usually a massive crowd of people outside shoving one way to get in to the Castle grounds, and another inside shoving to get out. It was like being in the mosh pit at a Black Sabbath concert, except much more fun that that! Health & Safety would have a duck fit if those conditions were replicated now!

I didn’t realise it was on before that. I was very young then but as far as I can remember the layout was exactly like that for years. Perhaps it is still like it now.

I didn’t realise it was on before that. I was very young then but as far as I can remember the layout was exactly like that for years. Perhaps it is still like it now.
Bit changedcthese days. Once the Castle West Gate opened it gave the Xmas Market access to the Lawn complex, and it expanded into there. That area of the Market is as big, if not bigger, than inside the Castle these days. Of all parts if the Market, though, the one I liked best was the one in the Medieval Bishops Palace. I hope that part returns one day.

I gather the obelisk now at St Marks is largely new but does have a few parts from the original including the pineapple at the top.

Bit changedcthese days. Once the Castle West Gate opened it gave the Xmas Market access to the Lawn complex, and it expanded into there. That area of the Market is as big, if not bigger, than inside the Castle these days. Of all parts if the Market, though, the one I liked best was the one in the Medieval Bishops Palace. I hope that part returns one day.
The Medieval Bishops Palace bit was amazing! I've only been in that part two or three times but it was great. Properly like stepping into another world at times.