LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s | Page 23 | Vital Football

LIncoln Late 1980s and Early 1990s

In the old museum, near St. Swithins 60's, they had bits of a Viking boat in a display case I seem to remember.

You may be thinking of something different, but there was certainly a dug out canoe. The current museum has that and/or another one on display (memory not that reliable!!). It seems a number of such vessels have been uncovered in the Witham in the area around Fiskerton, or thereabouts

You may be thinking of something different, but there was certainly a dug out canoe. The current museum has that and/or another one on display (memory not that reliable!!). It seems a number of such vessels have been uncovered in the Witham in the area around Fiskerton, or thereabouts

Yep, it was the dug out canoe I was thinking of, thanks for that.

There's a boat of some description in the collection, can't remember what period it was from tough, been a while seen we've had a visit there.

Yes, the walls give the game away in that pic.! The new Collection is a decent museum, but lacks the fusty smell of the old one, and there is no suit of armour to greet you in the entrance (they're in storage apparently). Neither is there the natural history display of stuffed animals there used to be upstairs in the old museum that we used to like - maybe lack of space, maybe now not pc (altho Natural History Museum in London still has them)

Yes, the walls give the game away in that pic.! The new Collection is a decent museum, but lacks the fusty smell of the old one, and there is no suit of armour to greet you in the entrance (they're in storage apparently). Neither is there the natural history display of stuffed animals there used to be upstairs in the old museum that we used to like - maybe lack of space, maybe now not pc (altho Natural History Museum in London still has them)

I like The Collection - a decent modern museum.

I think the picture above is from that museum - now a cafe, or is that the building next door?
The picture shows the boat as it was displayed in the old City and County Museum, which was in the Greyfriars building next door to St Swithins church. The Greyfriars building is at least 700 hundred years old and is worth visiting in its own right. It's a shame it's not open to the public at present as I think it's a fascinating building with an equally fascinating history.
Now that the football season has started I'm holding off posting any more pictures until next Summer when, if most years are to go by, there's not so much to post on the main site and we could do with something to generate a few additional clicks.

The picture shows the boat as it was displayed in the old City and County Museum, which was in the Greyfriars building next door to St Swithins church. The Greyfriars building is at least 700 hundred years old and is worth visiting in its own right. It's a shame it's not open to the public at present as I think it's a fascinating building with an equally fascinating history.

Yes I was often in there when I wasn't trainspotting.