Life Re-evaluation - What Is / Isn't Important? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Life Re-evaluation - What Is / Isn't Important?

Do you think you'll continue to work from home more though mate or just revert back to travelling every day?

Well that would depend on my boss , but I don't think I would want to work from home every day , maybe just 2 days a week or something.

I have been at my place for nearly 20 years now so I do miss the social interaction ,also made a couple of decent mates just by getting to know them through travelling on the same train day in day out.

I think the travelling is the worst bit actually and although I love driving I am not missing the away games and all that goes with them.

Well that would depend on my boss , but I don't think I would want to work from home every day , maybe just 2 days a week or something.

I have been at my place for nearly 20 years now so I do miss the social interaction ,also made a couple of decent mates just by getting to know them through travelling on the same train day in day out.

I think the travelling is the worst bit actually and although I love driving I am not missing the away games and all that goes with them.

Ah yes, I miss the banter in the office and the lads on the shop floor two completely different sets of people. Fortunately, I could cope with both.
I certainly don't miss the travelling nearly an hour drive there and lord knows how long to get back depending on the M6 or M42 whichever was least blocked. Really don't miss Coventry.
I've got used to being at home, so this lockdown hasn't bothered me so much as some but it's saved me a few hundred quid in fuel, meals out and treats for the little ones

This will surprise you all I'm sure but deep down I'm very lazy and very shallow.

I tend to just roll with it, and when all this over will probably just go back to normal.

No eurkeka life changing thoughts for me. I just want to go on holiday and have a few beers.

Mostly trivial stuff for me. I have a string of hobbies so well adapted to being at home so much, other people I know kind of have nothing to them in that respect and are struggling a lot.

I only ever at most go into the office 2 days a week and it was increasingly 1 day a week prior to lockdown. This won't change, I'm lucky that I can call the shots on how much I go in.

I have missed the gym, I'm a pretty strong weightlifter and have had no opportunity to do this with the lockdown. I think it's likely I'll start building a home gym this year.

I have missed my family a lot and will make sure that I see them more often once the lockdown is over.

I very noticeably haven't missed football and these events have made me hate the game to a point. I doubt I'll be calling Sky back up to reinstate my Sky Sports subscription.

For me sky can go swivel. Not only are they taking my sky sports money with absolutely zero sport but they also have made absolutely no effort to entertain people while they have been isolated. They have uploaded films for a steep price. To line their own pockets. But the free films they put on, the quality has actually gone down. As soon as my contract is up that's it. And I wont be back. Tossers.
Netflix on the other hand. Since this pandemic, the quality of films they have seems to have improved.

I know one thing when I finished work last year I was looking at buying a massive shed and a Myford modelling lathe and some other machine tools, then the Twins landed and the Villa went on a mad run and that was that plan out the window.
I wish I'd got that shed now

Oh bloody hell. Maybe they havnt charged then, will have to look what my last payment was. Thanks for this info. I'm off to check bank statement.
I take the sky sports comment back then.
However I will stick to my movies rant.

Realisations, evaluations and changes

1/ I slowed down after Mr KK passed 2 years ago. I slowed down for me. I have slowed down some more
2/ Another level of the grief wave has hit me
3/ I live a 12 step program and a spiritual life anyway so I think people like me who have this are dealing better.
4/ A.A and all 12 step programs have moved online to Zoom. I have my outlet. I'm blessed as I am surrounded by a wealth of fellowship, friends and family
5/ Whats changed? I'm a homebody anyway so it doesn't bother me
6/ Accept for Mr KK not being physically here I am happy enough with my lot. Deano could get the no's right for the lottery but if he doesn't I am peaceful, serene and know how much I have
7/ I have got further into my spiritual development attending online non dual meetings.
8/ I've finally started my Greek studies again and have a new language teacher in Kefelonia
9/ A fellowship friend has written this short play about an online office meeting about cutbacks which he has asked me to be part of. It's absolutely bonkers and alot of fun. Zoom away, zoom away, zoom away 😏
10/ The only thing doing my head in, is I need to see my hairdresser

Last edited:
Really interesting reading everyone's perspective. Here's mine.

I already had a career change planned for this year anyway, and I feel very lucky that it seems that it will still go ahead come September, depending on how social distancing is implemented in universities and schools! At least it's helped shield me from some of the nastier economic effects of the pandemic.

I can totally understand where people are coming from re football and the Villa. But honestly it's kind of had the opposite effect on me. In the past, I've missed games solely because I didn't have anyone else to go with, even though I still had a ticket. My muscle problems have always made me very nervous about attending a game on my own. But now I can drive and have moved to the Trinity I don't really have any excuse. I'll make more effort to not miss games in future as I enjoy it and have now realised how quickly it can be taken away for a long time.

There has been one negative though. Before all this started I was joking around with my mates about how I wanted to use this summer to hit the dating apps like a steam train and have a bit of a wild one before I had to start behaving like a responsible adult again. There's no chance of that happening now, but it made me question where it came from. I've never had a serious relationship before, and all my mates seem to be there already or just starting out on that part of their lives. And that sounds good too in a different way.

All this thinking time has made me realise that I feel a bit insecure about reaching my late twenties and, to be blunt, not having much to show for it. I've already taken a little step towards that by finding something that I enjoy, feel like I can do well in, and hopefully build into a good career. But when it comes to, ahem, matters with the fairer sex, I don't know what I want!

. But when it comes to, ahem, matters with the fairer sex, I don't know what I want!

Oh mate, you'll probably feel like that in your late 30's, 40's, 50's... I could go on.

Don't feel alone in that my friend.

Glad you are making steps towards your career change, pretty sure I've read you mentioning something about that before, no idea in which thread. But superb that it is progressing.

Oh mate, you'll probably feel like that in your late 30's, 40's, 50's... I could go on.

Don't feel alone in that my friend.

Glad you are making steps towards your career change, pretty sure I've read you mentioning something about that before, no idea in which thread. But superb that it is progressing.

I posted about my successful Skype interview in the coronavirus good news thread! I've had another offer from a different university since, so I've got a choice now.

Well when I say I don't know what I want, it's not like I've got much of a choice anyway! It's lovely seeing my mates settle down with people they care about, like when I got invited to a school friend's wedding last summer. I genuinely mean that.

On the other hand, I'm inexperienced with this whole thing and the idea of jumping straight into something long-term, which someone near my age might reasonably expect, is daunting. The battle in my head feels like it's between wanting to make up for lost time vs wanting to experience what my friends have. Maybe that reflects how muddled I feel, or maybe I'm just overthinking.

I posted about my successful Skype interview in the coronavirus good news thread! I've had another offer from a different university since, so I've got a choice now.

Well when I say I don't know what I want, it's not like I've got much of a choice anyway! It's lovely seeing my mates settle down with people they care about, like when I got invited to a school friend's wedding last summer. I genuinely mean that.

On the other hand, I'm inexperienced with this whole thing and the idea of jumping straight into something long-term, which someone near my age might reasonably expect, is daunting. The battle in my head feels like it's between wanting to make up for lost time vs wanting to experience what my friends have. Maybe that reflects how muddled I feel, or maybe I'm just overthinking.

Yep, lots of overthinking going on there.

I don't think most people will change as they are selfish bar stools but there is a chance to change the way future generations work and keep traffic off the roads, and scrap the white elephant that is HS2 or we just carry on until we are forced off the roads by the legislation. Is there really any need to work in a city centre office now we have all this electronic tech connecting us.

I've always had a job that involves hands-on manufacturing and the last 10 years a hideous commute.
I'd love to be able to work from home, I'd have saved £60 a week in fuel.£30,000 in ten years

Yes, think that is overthinking. If you want to date (what an old fashioned phrase that seems now) then get yourself out there (obviously not now LOL). They say when you know, you know, when it comes to the right person. You can't force it. Just enjoy yourself and remember, a good few people feel awkward with all this, especially first dates and what not. You're not alone.

I'm lucky, I never wanted to settle down, then my brain exploded and that became more definite, I didn't feel it right to burden someone with the bad spells I have, plus I didn't want someone around when I have the flair ups, I'm not the sort who likes or needs the constant questions (done in kindness) are you ok, do you need something, blah blah blah.

I don't think most people will change as they are selfish bar stools but there is a chance to change the way future generations work and keep traffic off the roads, and scrap the white elephant that is HS2 or we just carry on until we are forced off the roads by the legislation. Is there really any need to work in a city centre office now we have all this electronic tech connecting us.

I've always had a job that involves hands-on manufacturing and the last 10 years a hideous commute.
I'd love to be able to work from home, I'd have saved £60 a week in fuel.£30,000 in ten years

Scrap the other white elephant and 4th or 5th runway for somewhere no one will be flying into.

Use the HS2 money to help put the country back on its feet.

I did a five year toolmaking apprenticeship at IMI, and after that only four years in the trade before packing it all in.
The vast majority of my time after that was spent in the insurance industry where I was home based. I cannot imagine any other way of earning a living that involves going in to one place, although its the norm for most.
My daughter is in sales and has now been put as home based and her sales figures have improved, so much so that the boss is considering the option of home based in future.
If companies in some industries trusted their staff a bit more home working oportunities are there for a lot more people than currently do it.