Lets face reality. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Lets face reality.

Don't want to sound pessimistic, but I think we would struggle if we were to drop out of the top 2 & end up in the play-offs.

I always remember the season we went up under Caldwell. The 2nd half of the season we were pasting opposition after opposition, with the occasional hiccup here and there, yet Dragnet never ever predicted a win and claimed he was only being realistic when it was pointed out. There are glass half empty types and some who have yet to find a glass, like Dragnet.

Never forget that 3-1 pasting by Doncaster out of nowhere

You must have been up all night thinking of that comment !

Not really! Teams who end dropping to 3rd or even 4th after being in the top 2 for some time, do seem to lose their way in the play offs. They lose the momentum, confidence etc.

A 68% chance does not give you a good nights sleep Pubrey. A sleeping tablet will be needed, especially with all the suspensions for some of our players, not to mention the 3 game ban for Mclean.

Hold on a minute Draggers ... let's get it right.

You said that the "smart money" is on MK Dons to finish 2nd. That means that the "smart money" is backing MK Dons with a 20% chance to do what the same calculations give us a 68% chance of doing.

You're right, 68% may not give anyone a good night's sleep ... but compared to a 20% chance, it's positively dreamland (as opposed to fantasyland !).

In less than two weeks, we'll have a much clearer view of who's likely to finish where.

Don't want to sound pessimistic, but I think we would struggle if we were to drop out of the top 2 & end up in the play-offs.
Oh I think we’d get smashed in the playoffs. Sheff Wed and Sunderland would each be rubbing their hands together at the thought of facing us over two legs. It’s automatic or bust, but thankfully we will do enough.

You do worry about tired legs and imminent suspensions but aside from the concerns over our style of play or lack of style sometimes …there is a resilience to this team that others should envy.
We have been beaten 6 times in the league this season and without exception we have won the following game and we have had no cluster of defeats like ’2 in 3’ which other teams have…(or even ‘4 in 5‘ which “the best team in the league“ have suffered TWICE this season)

I think besides us, only Rotherham have that innate toughness and that’s the single biggest reason that those two will get the automatic slots.
Others play prettier football, no doubt but that alone won’t be enough to overhaul either of us I think (and hope !!)

Oh I think we’d get smashed in the playoffs. Sheff Wed and Sunderland would each be rubbing their hands together at the thought of facing us over two legs. It’s automatic or bust, but thankfully we will do enough.

Now Sheff Wed are in the play offs and have players coming back i think they are going to go up via the play offs.

I'm glad we've already got a healthy buffer on them as i think between now and the end of the season they are probably going to be the form team.

I also wouldn't fancy us at all in the play offs, all the teams likely to finish in there are stylistic nightmares for us.

I had a little look at how many points have seen automatic promotion in the last few seasons. Over 90 could be the mark and if so then I would fully back us.
I think at this stage it will be difficult to get back up through the play offs if we drop down a place or two from a momentum pov. Also the teams up in the play offs have hurt us before this season.
That said, I would say we are prime contenders and it is all in our hands (and a possible 9/12 point cushion). It would be disappointing not to go up this season.
But if we don’t go up, I would still be happy. Quite frankly I would have been happy with mid-table at the start of the season after the last few years.

I also wouldn't fancy us at all in the play offs, all the teams likely to finish in there are stylistic nightmares for us.

Good job we said "let's put it all together" at the start of the season then, cos "betcha by golly, wow", we'd be struggling to go up otherwise.

:cool:

Good job we said "let's put it all together" at the start of the season then, cos "betcha by golly, wow", we'd be struggling to go up otherwise.

:cool:

If you're in the play offs it's just those heads to heads and the rest of the league we've beaten up to then doesn't matter. I wouldnt want to be facing MK, Sheff Wed and Sunderland over 2 legs considering we've lost all 5 games against them so far.

If you're in the play offs it's just those heads to heads and the rest of the league we've beaten up to then doesn't matter. I wouldnt want to be facing MK, Sheff Wed and Sunderland over 2 legs considering we've lost all 5 games against them so far.

It's the reason why I posted something similar yesterday. I'm usually positive re: latics. But I actually think we would struggle against those teams in the play offs. It's now a case of 💩💩 or bust. Top 2 or nowt.

It's quite funny really. I was someone who would have settled for mid table mediocrity at the start of this season. But as we now find ourselves where we are, I'd be actually gutted if we didn't win promotion.

It's the reason why I posted something similar yesterday. I'm usually positive re: latics. But I actually think we would struggle against those teams in the play offs. It's now a case of 💩💩 or bust. Top 2 or nowt.

It's quite funny really. I was someone who would have settled for mid table mediocrity at the start of this season. But as we now find ourselves where we are, I'd be actually gutted if we didn't win promotion.

For me when you look at the quality of the league and the squad we recruited promotion had to be the aim from day one, you don't sign the best players from all your expected promotion rivals, give players 8k+ a week, etc to be content with mid table in L1.

But i thought with so many new players it might understandably have lead to a slower start in the first 10 games or so meaning teams would've built up a healthy lead before we started finding promotion form and the head start we gave others would possibly leave us just short of the top 2.

But we managed to skip that transition spell and got results immediately and that was the only thing i felt that should've stopped us going for automatics.

We've got ourselves into such a good position, no one would be happy (especially the players, manager and ownership) if we didn't go up now.

7 Wins required for us to get to 90 points which is more than last years champions got. Would you back against us?

Lets face reality, you wouldn't..

It's entirely possible someone else makes a run (watch Sheff Wed!) but for arguments sake since MK are 4 points ahead of the rest i lets use them as the barometer, remaining fixtures.

MK i think could easily get over 20 points to get them close to 90 points. But hopefully we will also be able to get over 20 points too and maintain the gap.

But it's entirely possible due to MK playing an extra game next midweek when we have Sutton that they could be above us by the time we get to the game at their place. The pressure could really be on us, so could really do with a favour from Rotherham on Saturday but i fancy MK.

MK Dons Remaining fixtures:
Rotherham away
Cheltenham home
Wigan home
Cambridge away
Crewe home
Shrewsbury home
Wimbledon away
Sheff Wed home
Oxford away
Morcambe home
Plymouth away