League Cup Round 4 Draw | Page 2 | Vital Football

League Cup Round 4 Draw

The higher the profile game (Man Utd!?) the better for more than just the obvious reason.
With a possible buyer/investor sitting in the wings I'm sure continuing the type of media coverage we have enjoyed since Brentford can only help at what may just be a crucial time in our history.

Go figure. Massive squads needed to battle on four fronts normally and add in the World Cup this season so I get the impression that all wanted to get out of the lesser EFL cup as soon as possible.

It had to be this year that we progressed so far :mad:

Look on the bright side. Gives us a better chance of winning the whole competition!

I seem to be the only one who wants us to get a home draw. I know it may mean less money and a rare chance of a trip to a big ground, but I quite fancy a full house at Priestfield v Man Utd or Liverpool as never seen us play them in a competitive game (don’t think we’ve ever played MU and only once played Liverpool about 100 years ago). City too would be good, but we’ve played them a few times. Wouldn’t mind Brighton or Newcastle at home either and be more than happy to draw any of the above away.

I wouldn’t be too upset with A League One team at home. Despite our league form, it’s a winnable game - we were the better team v Exeter earlier in the season and went through - and chance of a first visit to the QF. The worst draws for me would be Burnley or Blackburn away - two dull, unfashionable clubs miles away who would almost certainly turn us over. Wouldn’t really want the league one clubs away either and would rather avoid Leicester and Wolves away as not that attractive, but they’d be OK at home.

Prize money in the Carabao Cup is miserly and only kicks-in after the fifth round. In this cup competition, gate money and TV are the only real sources of income so if we get a home draw we really need it to be one worthy of live TV. If it`s an away draw then, because live TV is far less likely, it needs to be a high revenue club. Man U and Newcastle are the only two clubs likely to have a very big crowd v the Gills. Old Trafford is the most lucrative.

I seem to be the only one who wants us to get a home draw. I know it may mean less money and a rare chance of a trip to a big ground, but I quite fancy a full house at Priestfield v Man Utd or Liverpool as never seen us play them in a competitive game (don’t think we’ve ever played MU and only once played Liverpool about 100 years ago). City too would be good, but we’ve played them a few times. Wouldn’t mind Brighton or Newcastle at home either and be more than happy to draw any of the above away.

I wouldn’t be too upset with A League One team at home. Despite our league form, it’s a winnable game - we were the better team v Exeter earlier in the season and went through - and chance of a first visit to the QF. The worst draws for me would be Burnley or Blackburn away - two dull, unfashionable clubs miles away who would almost certainly turn us over. Wouldn’t really want the league one clubs away either and would rather avoid Leicester and Wolves away as not that attractive, but they’d be OK at home.

TBF, even Leicester or Wolves away wouldn’t be a bad earner. Probably 20-30k crowds at either. Even Brentford was a 16k crowd at £10 each is £160k receipts meaning we’ll see around £70k of that yeah?

Hopefully we don’t get one of the non-EPL clubs away. Any top flight team at Priestfield should sell out. And I’d imagine Charlton at home would also go close. In fact, any home game in R4 might be a sell out (except maybe MK or Lincoln).

Would love us to get the real big tie like Man U, Liverpool, Man City. Even Newcastle currently.

But those things don’t seem to happen to us do they?

Man U and Newcastle are the only two clubs likely to have a very big crowd v the Gills. Old Trafford is the most lucrative.

Think Liverpool would have a near capacity too - looked pretty full there last night v Derby. I know a few gloryhunter Liverpool fans who go to the odd Cup game as it’s the only ones they can get tickets for.

Think Liverpool would have a near capacity too - looked pretty full there last night v Derby. I know a few gloryhunter Liverpool fans who go to the odd Cup game as it’s the only ones they can get tickets for.

Yep, agree. Though I believe we could squeeze 20K more into Old Trafford - every penny counts !

Clearly Newcastle away and Sunderland fans forgiving us and turning out to applaud our victory as the team heads south down the A 19 at 70 mph in an open top bus.

Reactions: PuB
Leicester away for me, because the infinitesimal chance of us repeating our Brentford victory would be worth it so that I could lord it over a rival work colleague who:

a) is a rabid Leicester fan and attends all their matches
b) has admitted to crying when certain results go against them; and
c) is a massive, massive ******

Man u away.
The away allocation is nearly always only 3,000 and generally housed in the east stand area.
Attendance is not always predictable for small teams in cup competitions, could be as low as 35,000 or up to 75,000.
Tickets are normally expensive and we would get 45% of gate receipts. Plus any tv money.

Man u home.

Gills home crowd of whatever our current capacity is and we would have to give them the town end.
still 45% of gate receipts plus hopefully tv money.

I would always go for a home tie. We have only played Man utd once and that was only when Steve Bruce brought down a utd team for Buster Collins thingy.

A packed gillingham at home with the fans roaring is the greatest place to be.

downside would be that utd are not scoring many goals and someone is in line for a tonking lol. Current manager has been playing a full strength squad for every game.

Last edited: