League 1 | Page 3 | Vital Football

League 1

The Jordans are now free agents (?) , So we can't 'loan' them from anyone.
It would be short term deals ?
Ok, I assumed they’d still be under contract until the end of June, just that they’d been told they won’t be getting new deals after that with their clubs.

Ok, I assumed they’d still be under contract until the end of June, just that they’d been told they won’t be getting new deals after that with their clubs.
It is possible that some teams would have already told players as there will be no reason not too.

The 8 team playoff is possible, a good idea and fair as, after all, there are still a fair few games to go and plenty of teams in the mix. Given the precedent of League Two - ie using PPG - we should be in it. My only fear is that there’ll be a fudge to ensure Ipswich are in it. Despite what Scally and Evans have said about the season, they need to stay firm and push this one - time for Scally to be at his belligerent and pig-headed best/worst!

Our ppg is 1.457. as we have played 1 game less than Ipswich I don't see how Ipswich can be put ahead of us.

Ipswich being a leading part of the lobby to push for the 8 team play off surprised me. By all calculations of ppg etc they are overtaken by little old Gillingham. I pointed this out to an Ipswich fan on Twitter as he thought the league positions would stay exactly as they are. Do the board of ITFC really think this? Did they really overlook that all their protesting to the EFL would most likely benefit GFC more than Ipswich? Or are they confident that their big club TV draw would be some sort of top trump to squeeze into the 8 club mix and keep us out? I'll watch with interest as this proposal unfolds.

Accy boss is indicating that agreement between L1 clubs is still way off; hopefully the EFL Board meeting today might shed some further light on where we are !

I think if you have play-offs at neutral grounds then you don’t need two-legged ties. There are a load of pitches, facilities and hotel at St George’s park, you can probably get by with hosting the whole play-offs there in maybe 2-3 weeks like a tournament. Bang, players are isolated and the season is over with fewer costs but also sooner, enabling us to begin preparations for next season.

Ipswich being a leading part of the lobby to push for the 8 team play off surprised me. By all calculations of ppg etc they are overtaken by little old Gillingham. I pointed this out to an Ipswich fan on Twitter as he thought the league positions would stay exactly as they are. Do the board of ITFC really think this? Did they really overlook that all their protesting to the EFL would most likely benefit GFC more than Ipswich? Or are they confident that their big club TV draw would be some sort of top trump to squeeze into the 8 club mix and keep us out? I'll watch with interest as this proposal unfolds.

But are Ipswich actually campaigning for the 8-team playoffs? I thought I read that the group they were part of (with Sunderland, Fleetwood, Peterborough, can't remember who else) were campaigning for the rest of the season to be played to a finish (i.e. to give themselves a chance to get back into contention)?

Our ppg is 1.457. as we have played 1 game less than Ipswich I don't see how Ipswich can be put ahead of us.

Mandron’s late goal at Sunderland could achieve legendary status depending on the outcome of the next few weeks.

My first instinct was to not bother with playoffs and just promote the third placed team on PPG - I see that would be Wycombe with 59/34 who are 8th in the table and behind three teams with 60/35 (Oxford, Portsmouth, Fleetwood). Wycombe were dropping like a stone (like us in 2016).

If it were based on extrapolating PPG for both home and away fixtures (as per League 2) Oxford would be third (ultimately due to having more home games left to play)

Given how contentious either way of working it out would be perhaps best to decide on the pitch (when safe food do so).

A four team play off between Wycombe, Oxford, Portsmouth and Fleetwood would seem the fairest option to me.

But are Ipswich actually campaigning for the 8-team playoffs? I thought I read that the group they were part of (with Sunderland, Fleetwood, Peterborough, can't remember who else) were campaigning for the rest of the season to be played to a finish (i.e. to give themselves a chance to get back into contention)?

You could be correct Madrid. My post came afrer looking at some ITFC fan comments on Twitter. I took it that the lobbying group (Donnie, OUFC, Wycombe, Fleetwood, Sunderland and Ipswich) had ended up with the 8 team play off proposal as a compromise for not having enough support for finishing the season in full. But, as I say, I'll watch with interest to see if the idea has any support now Ipswich would most likely be out of contention.

So, the EFL propose a £2.5 million wage cap for league one.
That won’t please the big spenders but it will be more of a level playing field

But who is going to give us the extra the extra £2.4 million we would need. :grinning:

Guess whether it gets voted through will depend on how many clubs currently operate close to the £2.5m limit. If the majority do then it will probably get voted through.

Not sure about the limit of a squad of 20 senior players with 8 of those being home grown. Not sure that will be feesable without impacting on the quality of players and therefore the quality on offer for spectators.

Could be great for club’s willing to invest in young players
I like the idea personally
I also like the idea of a cap irrespective of revenue
All new contracts will need a relegation clause I expect