League 1 | Vital Football

League 1

ian08040

Vital Squad Member
League One clubs expected to vote to end league season early, with it understood that the top two of Coventry City and Rotherham United will be promoted, and the final place potentially determined in am eight team play-off.
How much truth who knows
just seen on Twitter

League One clubs expected to vote to end league season early, with it understood that the top two of Coventry City and Rotherham United will be promoted, and the final place potentially determined in am eight team play-off.
How much truth who knows
just seen on Twitter
I think this has been discussed already on one of the other threads.
Gills would be one of the teams in the playoffs based on the PPG finish position.

Would have thought the more important thing would be sorting out relegation
If X number of clubs got to the wall as could well happen before the new season starts then there will be no need for anyone to be relegated. Interesting that league two appear to have already seemed to have waved the matter away.Although of course you are only talking of one club. My guess is there will be already clubs very near the edge .

Everything agreed so far is irrelevant until the PL decide what they are going to do.
All promotions in the EFL depend on that.

But Evans is one of the people who want the season declared null and void, so we'll probably withdraw from the play-offs then?

But Evans is one of the people who want the season declared null and void, so we'll probably withdraw from the play-offs then?
I would say financially it will probably cost a fair bit .IE wages that we are currently not paying to any degree would almost certainly be need starting soon.On top of that the odds will be firmly stacked against any team low down however it is done. A balancing act for Scally anyway .It may also mean short term agreements with players Evan's wants to let go .If we are close to the edge I could definitely see why we might not apply to appear.

My guess is that the lower four of the play off would play each other in one match at the highest teams ground. The winners would then play at the next two clubs up the table at their ground. The winners of that would then go to the team in 3rd and 4th team in a one off match .So I think we would need to win three away matches before the final .I can see it happening this way as it would mean the fewest games and give the highest teams a advantage.

I was just reading an article in the Guardian about the return of premier league football.
The usual journalistic rubbish but far more interesting was the comments section from the public.
The vast majority didn’t care at all about lower league clubs using such comparisons as would anyone expect Sainsbury to bail out the local corner shop.
One even said that he couldn’t care less about Millwall or Burton surviving as long as he still had his beloved Arsenal.

As I said earlier, the EPL situation will determine everything else.
If they decide something like no relegation, then there can obviously be no promotions.

I would say financially it will probably cost a fair bit .IE wages that we are currently not paying to any degree would almost certainly be need starting soon.On top of that the odds will be firmly stacked against any team low down however it is done. A balancing act for Scally anyway .It may also mean short term agreements with players Evan's wants to let go .If we are close to the edge I could definitely see why we might not apply to appear.

My guess is that the lower four of the play off would play each other in one match at the highest teams ground. The winners would then play at the next two clubs up the table at their ground. The winners of that would then go to the team in 3rd and 4th team in a one off match .So I think we would need to win three away matches before the final .I can see it happening this way as it would mean the fewest games and give the highest teams a advantage.

If we have no chance of getting through to the final, then best save the much needs funds for when next season starts. Whatever happens, not all clubs are going to be happy. It's about survival though.

Not true.
Why nibbles.
Do you seriously and honestly think that they will break the cartel.
The big teams already complain about too many fixtures, they are hardly likely to increase the size of the division.
If anything, the big boys want the league smaller so that they can tour a bit more.

Do Man City really relish playing the likes of West Brom or Bristol City?
I doubt it.
They would rather play Barca and Bayern in a European league.

Must be a decision this week. EFL Board meet on Wednesday (I believe) and they will have to ratify outcome of today`s talks. By implication, as the FA will have a say, the details of the EPL (+ Nat Lge) will they/won`t they relegation issue should also be known this week. But then we don`t seem to be very good at making decisions, or, do we....

Why nibbles.
Do you seriously and honestly think that they will break the cartel.
The big teams already complain about too many fixtures, they are hardly likely to increase the size of the division.
If anything, the big boys want the league smaller so that they can tour a bit more.

Do Man City really relish playing the likes of West Brom or Bristol City?
I doubt it.
They would rather play Barca and Bayern in a European league.

There is scope for it to happen, as per the leaked call from the Bristol Rovers PFA rep the other week.

The suggestion was to cancel relegation, and promote all sides as per the final league tables, meaning that there are inflated leagues for next season.

So you'd have PL of 23, C and L1 of 28 (ish - depending on clubs going bust).

The following season, you'd have relegation zones of 6, 6, and 8, in order to sort the leagues out.

Given this season has been cut short, and also given that the chances of any european football is in jeopardy, and also that the EFL and PL have been in active discussions regarding it, means it's not all that unlikely in fact.

Darragh MacAnthony who I am a big fan of said to finish the season would cost him about £300,000 for testing and all the other bits and pieces! To void the season and have to pay back season tickets for games missed, repay sponsorship payments etc would cost him £800,000 so i get his side! Lawyers are ready!!! Continuing though is ridiculous!

Must be a decision this week. EFL Board meet on Wednesday (I believe) and they will have to ratify outcome of today`s talks. By implication, as the FA will have a say, the details of the EPL (+ Nat Lge) will they/won`t they relegation issue should also be known this week. But then we don`t seem to be very good at making decisions, or, do we....

We're alright Lancs, it's them.

If the EPL decide to finish the season, then the EFL can make a decision on what happens.

There is scope for it to happen, as per the leaked call from the Bristol Rovers PFA rep the other week.

The suggestion was to cancel relegation, and promote all sides as per the final league tables, meaning that there are inflated leagues for next season.

So you'd have PL of 23, C and L1 of 28 (ish - depending on clubs going bust).

The following season, you'd have relegation zones of 6, 6, and 8, in order to sort the leagues out.

Given this season has been cut short, and also given that the chances of any european football is in jeopardy, and also that the EFL and PL have been in active discussions regarding it, means it's not all that unlikely in fact.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52698017

Not sure why it would be 8 teams in the playoffs. I'm guessing they are considering how many teams have a mathmatical chance ?

If the intention is to basically have a cup competition with the winners winning promotion, it would be easier to run with 8 teams involved. If there was only six teams, for example, then you'd need to give a couple of teams a bye.

My guess is that the first round will be 3rd verses 10th, while 4th will face 9th and so on. Higher placed teams get home advantage.