League 1 transfer thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

League 1 transfer thread

That's an interesting point, although I have serious doubts over the Huddersfield move anyway. Is he really good enough for a Championship club? In any case, he would disappear into their U23 squad, not the first team, and I can't see him being happy with that either.
I don't think he's good enough for the Championship, nor L1, he still needs to learn and develop physically. In my mind he could do worse than re-sign for us and go out on loan to a L2 side next season for his game time. He needs to remember he's only 19 and walk before he can run, yes he may have bags of potential but he needs to start showing it on a consistent basis.

I don't think he's good enough for the Championship, nor L1, he still needs to learn and develop physically. In my mind he could do worse than re-sign for us and go out on loan to a L2 side next season for his game time. He needs to remember he's only 19 and walk before he can run, yes he may have bags of potential but he needs to start showing it on a consistent basis.
I think you've pretty much nailed it there.

With the likelihood of a reduced squad size, I’m not sure we could justify signing someone with a view to be loaning them out. I fully get the concept, just wonder whether the current situation precludes it.

With the likelihood of a reduced squad size, I’m not sure we could justify signing someone with a view to be loaning them out. I fully get the concept, just wonder whether the current situation precludes it.
Granted, but if he's loaned out and you're receiving a proportion/all of his wages from the loan club it could be worth the limited investment in the long term to protect the potential profit down the line.

Jerry Yates signs for Blackpool.
Max Ehmer and Jack Baldwin sign for Bristol Rovers.
Jordan Moore Taylor leaves MK for Forest Green

£200k plus add-ons and effectively a 4-year deal for Yates and apparently Blackpool are paying £300k or so for CJ Hamilton as well.

Blackpool spending £500k on two players doesn't seem very Blackpool like, in the sense that you wouldn't put them down as being a big enough club to be spending that kind of money.

Granted, but if he's loaned out and you're receiving a proportion/all of his wages from the loan club it could be worth the limited investment in the long term to protect the potential profit down the line.

It's the only way we (and most clubs) will ever turn a promising teenager into a first teamer, unless they are exceptionally good. If we're not prepared to do this we may as well scrap the youth system.

It's the only way we (and most clubs) will ever turn a promising teenager into a first teamer, unless they are exceptionally good. If we're not prepared to do this we may as well scrap the youth system.
wasn't chapman the best of the youth system when we were in the national league? we might have improved in that area since then. but i agree, sooner or later the youth system needs to produce, or we might as well just carry on signing other teams' ex-youth - like melbourne and edun.
i suppose it depends if the current lcfc youth teamers are better - or have more potential - than chapman. a whole new bunch were signed just before cowley left, and i would hope that appleton will have a good eye for this year's incoming set. he must have some good contacts at that level. from the youth player's point of view, appleton, with his history of working with young players, must also be a pretty good draw. the club's stated aim to bring young players through into the first team must also be a good draw. uti

The new lot of youth players have had good reports, the setup is supposed to be geared for them to eventually play in the first team.
They come from all over the world now, not just Lincoln lads like they used to be.

The new lot of youth players have had good reports, the setup is supposed to be geared for them to eventually play in the first team.
They come from all over the world now, not just Lincoln lads like they used to be.

Apparently some very good players in there

I can't wait for them to break into the first team and then hear everyone saying they're not good enough.

Well, experience tells us that they might not be. ;)

I can't wait for us to start losing and the cry of "Play the youth!" to go up. ;)

£200k plus add-ons and effectively a 4-year deal for Yates and apparently Blackpool are paying £300k or so for CJ Hamilton as well.

Blackpool spending £500k on two players doesn't seem very Blackpool like, in the sense that you wouldn't put them down as being a big enough club to be spending that kind of money.

I find it staggering that a club like Blackpool are laying out 500k for two players in the current financial climate. It will be interesting to see the quality and quantity of unemployed footballers by Monday morning.

I find it staggering that a club like Blackpool are laying out 500k for two players in the current financial climate. It will be interesting to see the quality and quantity of unemployed footballers by Monday morning.
Agreed, and there seems to be a mini-trend developing for longer contracts at the moment, which is maybe surprising ?

Current summer business in League One:

Accrington: Out: 11 In: 0
AFC Wimbledon: 11/1
Blackpool: 9/5
Bristol Rovers: 12/4
Burton: 5/2
Charlton: 9/0
Crewe: 7/1
Doncaster: 9/0
Fleetwood: 1/0
Gillingham: 5/0
Hull: 9/0
Ipswich: 4/1
Lincoln: 12/2
MK Dons: 11/1
Northampton: 13/0
Oxford: 1/1
Peterborough: 7/0
Plymouth: 7/0
Portsmouth: 8/0
Rochdale: 8/0
Shrewsbury: 4/0
Sunderland: 8/0
Swindon: 6/0
Wigan: 1/0

Out: 169
In: 18 (9 clubs have made signings so far)

With the Championship largely concluded, retained lists should be announced very soon. The early bird should catch some tasty worms.

The transfer window has officially opened today and will close at 5pm on Friday 16 October.

In League One, only Oxford and Wigan are still to announce their retained lists.

Current summer business in League One - weekly update:

Accrington: Out: 11 In: 0
AFC Wimbledon: 11/1
Blackpool: 9/5
Bristol Rovers: 13/5
Burton: 5/2
Charlton: 9/0
Crewe: 7/1
Doncaster: 9/0
Fleetwood: 7/0
Gillingham: 5/1
Hull: 9/0
Ipswich: 4/1
Lincoln: 12/4
MK Dons: 11/2
Northampton: 13/1
Oxford: 1/1
Peterborough: 7/1
Plymouth: 8/2
Portsmouth: 8/0
Rochdale: 8/0
Shrewsbury: 5/0
Sunderland: 9/1
Swindon: 7/1
Wigan: 3/0

Out: 180
In: 29 (15 clubs have made signings so far)

Oxford and Wigan are the only two clubs yet to release a retained list. The administrators at Wigan are selling playing assets at a brisk rate, so anyone's guess where they will be in a week or two. Their appeal is being heard today; the result could be very interesting indeed, especially in South Yorkshire.