Lapslie the Bad Egg? | Vital Football

Lapslie the Bad Egg?

Trev_GFC

Vital 1st Team Regular
Following on from Neil Harris’ comment about one player not pulling his weight around ‘and he knows who he is’. I see he’s not even on the bench tonight following the comments today:

‘Midfielder George Lapslie could feature. Harris is hoping he’ll be available again after injury.

“I was majorly disappointed he wasn’t there on Saturday,” said the Gills boss. “I will be majorly disappointed if he hasn’t made himself available (tonight), then we are back to Saturday. Hopefully, he is back for Saturday at the latest.”’

Do we take it that he’s the bad egg?

I’m a bit out of the loop - are we hunting for a bad egg (after someone mentioned we have one) or are we pondering the question “is Lapslie a bad egg?”

The Harris quote doesn’t look great tbh

Ah, just read all of your post Trev - sounds like he’s the one who needs a kick up the arse then

I think he was the one injured in the car accident. Maybe he’s missed a few games due to concussion or something similar.

I think he was touted by the agent when we went in for the hawk (he had the same agent I think and both at Mansfield ) and given his rep and our new funds we snapped him up. Maybe not what we needed? NHs choice or KJ and AH

I think he was the one injured in the car accident. Maybe he’s missed a few games due to concussion or something similar.
Do feel like it's strange to call him out publicly at this time when it looked like he was the one to take the biggest brunt of the crash

Even if he's not injured physically anymore, could be a mental issue that's holding him back

I think he was touted by the agent when we went in for the hawk (he had the same agent I think and both at Mansfield ) and given his rep and our new funds we snapped him up. Maybe not what we needed? NHs choice or KJ and AH
That is correct.

The fact that Harris is quoted as saying “I will be majorly disappointed if he hasn’t made himself available for tonight' seems to indicate it is up to George if he deems himself fit. NH almost sounds irritated by the situation. With Dieng joining the injured list let's hope George is ok and has saved himself for a big return performance against Harrogate.

As an alleged Harris apologist, this won't go down well... but I don't like those comments - at least not in the public domain.

If he is questioning an aspect of his commitment - which is what it sounds like - keep it behind closed doors Neil. That's doing nobody any good.

Do wonder if we have too many fair weather players.BG needs to get to the bottom of this quickly.I wonder if some of the players are not 100% behind Neil and it seems one player is at the centre of that .We have no choice but to keep the player till January at least.As for Neil he has to get the rest of the squad behind him . Picking only players who are willing to give everything for the shirt .If that means a teenager or two on Saturday so be it .
My message to Neil is simple if you feel X or Y won't perform then don't put them on the pitch.

Some positive words from NH, presumably referring to Lapslie:

“I am really pleased with the character of the players and off the back of maybe some stern words from me in my post-match presser (after Grimsby) and in the changing room, that is a great way to respond, I can’t praise the players highly enough for that result."

and

“George Lapslie got through 60-odd minutes and he needed to come off after 25, he signalled to say he might be done already, because he had 30 minutes of training in two and a half weeks. I was delighted with the character shown by the boys."

Lapslie apparently asked NH to play despite not being fully fit. Hope this means that any rumbles about character and attitude re: him or anyone else in the dressing room were overstated.

Have we still not got any confirmation, one way or the other, as to whether Lapslie's injury is related to the car crash?

Some positive words from NH, presumably referring to Lapslie:

“I am really pleased with the character of the players and off the back of maybe some stern words from me in my post-match presser (after Grimsby) and in the changing room, that is a great way to respond, I can’t praise the players highly enough for that result."

and

“George Lapslie got through 60-odd minutes and he needed to come off after 25, he signalled to say he might be done already, because he had 30 minutes of training in two and a half weeks. I was delighted with the character shown by the boys."

Lapslie apparently asked NH to play despite not being fully fit. Hope this means that any rumbles about character and attitude re: him or anyone else in the dressing room were overstated.
Lapslie the Good Egg!

I used to teach George at his school in Essex. I found him a good enough bloke and I was delighted when he signed for Gills. I think he could be a star playmaker given the right incentives.