Knife crime epidemic | Page 2 | Vital Football

Knife crime epidemic

All unforeseen and unnecessary deaths are lamentable but I bet you the vast majority of knife crimes are carried out between those who carry the weapons as a matter of course. Whereas, deaths that have occurred as a consequence of the virus strike all regardless of background. I wonder what will be simpler to cure?
Agreed re carriage of weapons, the irony being that they carry them "for protection".

True but it has been like that since the start of history predicated mainly on the basis of haves and have nots. That's what governments should sort out. Anyone who resorts to robbery is a case of after the horse has bolted.

Yes resolving the underlying issues needs to be done but when people are dying now it may be useful to do something now as well. Not much comfort for a mother at her childs funeral that maybe it will be better in the future. Both tactics are needed, whist neither are being tackled.

What, all of them ?

No of course not but things were that bad in London at that time. All these things have different elements to them but it was a major input into different communities daily experience.
At the end of the day though policing should be no different because of the ethnic makeup or rich or poor areas. The police must be able to do their job supported by everyone.

No of course not but things were that bad in London at that time. All these things have different elements to them but it was a major input into different communities daily experience.
At the end of the day though policing should be no different because of the ethnic makeup or rich or poor areas. The police must be able to do their job supported by everyone.

OK, Jerry.

Yes, the police need public support to be effective. Yes, police should not discriminate. Even back in the 70`s, it was a case of some bad apples - not all bad apples - the vast majority were fine men and women who unfairly had their integrity dragged through the muck, as a result of those bad apples.

I lived in London mainly the Forest Hill area of South London for about 15 years.I only ever got attacked once.It was on a late trip home from north London where my now wife lived in her parents flat .Two lads tried to mug me .It was raining I was trying to get a cab in the Crystal palace area .There was a direct bus from nearby the wife's home to within a few miles of the place I rented nearby.They asked me for the time.It was raining so I was covered up.They then grabbed me .Out of the corner of my eye I saw a bus .I was nowhere near a bus stop but I managed to put my arm out.I could not care less where it was going.That driver might have saved my life.The driver perhaps seeing my problem thankfully stopped against the rules the lads let me go as they knew i would have a good witness .To this day 30 years or so later I will never forget that driver a true samaritan and his divine intervention. I truly believe some people are sent to help us when we need them most .
Just to say these lads were white and English and I have no idea if they were on drugs or in a gang .
I think this could be the problem.
"I only ever got attacked once"
Expectation should be that you never get attacked, you may consider it lucky to be attacked only once, but is this really what we are prepared to except as normal.

OK, Jerry.

Yes, the police need public support to be effective. Yes, police should not discriminate. Even back in the 70`s, it was a case of some bad apples - not all bad apples - the vast majority were fine men and women who unfairly had their integrity dragged through the muck, as a result of those bad apples.

I entirely agree and did so in those days. Same as any walk of life.
I know policemen and women now in Kent and London from my daughters horsey days (all very good people), some of them were involved in the Millwall v Birmingham (it was Birmingham?) battle some years ago and know of the different levels of training and resources.
Eye opening how few police outside of the major towns there are on duty at any one time to cover the whole of kent.

My old man in the mid fifties had a pub in the East End, mother couldn't stand the violence and moved back to Blackpool, the gangs, the teddy boys would have pitched battles and on Fridays and Saturday nights the police from Leman street police station had plenty to occupy their time with more pitched battles regularly around Bethnel Green.
It wasn't just London, Glasgow in particular was heavily into knife crime as were the other major cities in the UK.
Knife crime I read doubled in the sixties, the decade witnessed the biggest increase in the 20th century, however the same decade had low unemployment and was described as a period when we never had it so good.
The media made little of crime as such, they were more interested in the Cold War, the skirmishes the UK were involved in overseas, Russia and America and any gossip involving the royals.

Last edited:
Lands End beckons 😂

In reality, my wife is originally from North Devon so she’s just gone full circle.

I absolutely love it down here and couldn’t imagine moving back
I totally respect your decision(s) to move and I am genuinely pleased you've ended up in such a nice neck of the woods........but, take your average (too frequently, single parent) family living in a tiny two bedroom council flat in Tower Hamlets, with just one small income. They don't have the luxury to up sticks and "leave them to it" because they're not happy with living there.

Streets of blood. I'm happy I don't live in London like a lot of my colleagues do, I'm concerned what the next few months are going to be like

I totally respect your decision(s) to move and I am genuinely pleased you've ended up in such a nice neck of the woods........but, take your average (too frequently, single parent) family living in a tiny two bedroom council flat in Tower Hamlets, with just one small income. They don't have the luxury to up sticks and "leave them to it" because they're not happy with living there.

Nobs, to be fair to shotshy, he moved after (I believe) pretty much concluding his working life. Whilst I share your consideration for the occupants of the flat in Tower Hamlets he/she/they might, with hard work, be able to make the most of whatever their ambitions are and maybe eventually move somewhere else - if that`s what he/she/they want to do. I can`t stand London, would never go back to living there again. My part of London was violent, when I lived there, and still is. I`d never go back there to live, either. From my subsequent time in Kent, and others might be aware of similar situations, I know of many London families who moved from their local authority housing to nicer surroundings and bought housing in Kent.

Imagine living in a million pound house/flat , then having to step outside your front door to what's happening in London.
Lots of areas have no go zones , but ask anyone in authority and they don't exist

Nobs, to be fair to shotshy, he moved after (I believe) pretty much concluding his working life. Whilst I share your consideration for the occupants of the flat in Tower Hamlets he/she/they might, with hard work, be able to make the most of whatever their ambitions are and maybe eventually move somewhere else - if that`s what he/she/they want to do. I can`t stand London, would never go back to living there again. My part of London was violent, when I lived there, and still is. I`d never go back there to live, either. From my subsequent time in Kent, and others might be aware of similar situations, I know of many London families who moved from their local authority housing to nicer surroundings and bought housing in Kent.

Many are moving down into medway in their droves to give their kids a safer life, and the schools.

Its always good to remember as tangerine said - this is not a new problem, anywhere in the world where the poor are crammed in together this is the result. It needs a political solution but in the meantime short term measures need to be implemented.
Even medway was a hard place between the 30s and 60s. Further back even when the brook had a pub or brothel every few yards the police had to patrol in threes and the military police plus navy patrol walked around with large sticks to control their people.

Imagine living in a million pound house/flat , then having to step outside your front door to what's happening in London.
Lots of areas have no go zones , but ask anyone in authority and they don't exist

Yes, terrible to mix with riff raff lol.
Luckily so far I personally have not encountered any no go areas in London maybe because I know people in the areas I am going and maybe wrongly have little fear but it does not mean they don't exist. Also don't believe everything your told just because it feeds your narrative lol.

It is actually quite hard to keep out of gangs if you are a youth in these areas. Heavy pressure to take part or get sliced up. That brilliant series "The Met -Policing London" demonstrated this. Some kids actually have to be arrested for their own protection although they don't see it that way.

The Police can only scratch at the surface of solving these problems. Massive resources needed acrossa range of agencies (although it would save money long term). Little chance of that now even if wanted thanks to Covid costs.

It is actually quite hard to keep out of gangs if you are a youth in these areas. Heavy pressure to take part or get sliced up. That brilliant series "The Met -Policing London" demonstrated this. Some kids actually have to be arrested for their own protection although they don't see it that way.

The Police can only scratch at the surface of solving these problems. Massive resources needed acrossa range of agencies (although it would save money long term). Little chance of that now even if wanted thanks to Covid costs.

Needs to go hand in hand with sorting out behaviour in schools so that at least kids can have a safe daytime within the school boundaries.

Needs to go hand in hand with sorting out behaviour in schools so that at least kids can have a safe daytime within the school boundaries.
Tell me about it!!! Had to put upwith so.e sh#t even in Bromley, let alone when I taught in Inner London

Resourcing continues to be a huge issue for police. Watch your local news for upcoming changes at Kent Police HQ - they might call it consolidation......