Keeping fit during lockdown | Vital Football

Keeping fit during lockdown

Suffolk Gills

Vital Youth Team
Slowly we are clawing our way back to normality, although most of us have had a dramatic change to a life that seemed to be set in stone. In terms of lifestyle the biggest change has been for those of us unable to work - this has had a big impact on my ability to maintain my normal weight!

I have always commuted into London and spent most of my time on my feet. In addition going to the gym is a really enjoyable part of my life. This has all stopped. I have had a step tracker at different times and my usual daily steps were between 10,000 and 12,000. Now I struggle to get to 6,000 - I am sure most of those are to the fridge and back. The point is just how little I can eat now or the pounds start piling on.

I have an exercise bike and walking is okay - but being at home is not a good thing. Is anyone fitter / lighter than before lockdown?

Slowly we are clawing our way back to normality, although most of us have had a dramatic change to a life that seemed to be set in stone. In terms of lifestyle the biggest change has been for those of us unable to work - this has had a big impact on my ability to maintain my normal weight!

I have always commuted into London and spent most of my time on my feet. In addition going to the gym is a really enjoyable part of my life. This has all stopped. I have had a step tracker at different times and my usual daily steps were between 10,000 and 12,000. Now I struggle to get to 6,000 - I am sure most of those are to the fridge and back. The point is just how little I can eat now or the pounds start piling on.

I have an exercise bike and walking is okay - but being at home is not a good thing. Is anyone fitter / lighter than before lockdown?
I am managing to maintain normal weight mainly using my exercise bike every morning plus a power walk on occasions. But I cancelled my gym membership some weeks ago. I just can't see how the gym can maintain social distancing and continual cleaning. When at the Moscow flat my girlfriend has a treadmill, weights and other basic kit. She too has cancelled her local gym membership but is a keen bike rider and has been riding out since it was allowed.

I don't know about fitter or lighter but I made an effort to get out and walk/run almost every day during lockdown. In the early days it was good for my sanity but as working from home has become the "norm" I do it now to try and do both.

I don't like running but with the gyms closed its one of my few options. I used exercise to control my blood sugars so need to do something.

Best thing I did was download strava. It has loads of challenges and I need the motivation of a challenge. It breaks the runs into segments so you cans see how you do on each segment compared to your previous runs and other people. Even shaving 1 second off a PB is motivation enough to get me out for a run.

If anything good is to come out of lockdown I want my next Hb1Ac (blood sugar) results to be good.

Definitely not me .I am as you might already know preparing to move to Suffolk. I am hopeful that I will be able to cycle to work. I will have to build up to it as it is very likely to be a fair distance. At the moment I am doing a fair amount of walking but of course I am restricted to shortish walks.I don't have a decent bike that is in good order.But plan to get at least one new one when I move.

Definitely not me .I am as you might already know preparing to move to Suffolk. I am hopeful that I will be able to cycle to work.

You will like Suffolk I am sure. I moved from Kent some years ago - the good news is match days at Gills are even more special having to make a proper effort. Good point about the bike - I have been seriously thinking about buying one since lockdown. Apart from heavy traffic I can't think of a good reason not to do it.

When I am work it is 7 hours on my feet plus the walk to work and back! During lockdown I have been walking for an hour around the park usually with my wife and kids! More recently I have been twice a week going around the outskirts of Buckingham so its about 7 miles each time! Since lockdown I have probably put on 4lbs! Just over 14st which considering I was 16st just over a year ago is still pretty good!

You will like Suffolk I am sure. I moved from Kent some years ago - the good news is match days at Gills are even more special having to make a proper effort. Good point about the bike - I have been seriously thinking about buying one since lockdown. Apart from heavy traffic I can't think of a good reason not to do it.
I will be living in a village and can find country routes to and from work.Unlike many I have been fortunate enough to continue working during lockdown fairly near normal and I do a physical job.
Been up about half a dozen times plus a few previous visits .One to find my Great great Grandparents who are buried in Suffolk.So in a way I am going home.

Last edited:
I've never done any exercise in my life! As I am at home all the time at the moment, the only time I walk more is once a week when I have a beer, and walk back and forth to the fridge :-)

When I am work it is 7 hours on my feet plus the walk to work and back! During lockdown I have been walking for an hour around the park usually with my wife and kids! More recently I have been twice a week going around the outskirts of Buckingham so its about 7 miles each time! Since lockdown I have probably put on 4lbs! Just over 14st which considering I was 16st just over a year ago is still pretty good!
I was similar, went from 16st 4lb down to 14st 6lb then, just before lockdown got down to 13st 10lb. When the gyms closed I started cycling to work from the station, avoiding the tube, and have managed to hover between 13st 10lb and 13st 12lb.
Mrs Nobby is still banging out the home made cakes, which doesn't help so I've been doing the odd 5k run just to keep up some level of fitness but I hate running.
My annual fitness test was cancelled in May due to lockdown and I'm just waiting to hear when the re arranged date is so have to keep in top of things a bit but I've found that staying motivated is hard when running is all I've got.

I was similar, went from 16st 4lb down to 14st 6lb then, just before lockdown got down to 13st 10lb. When the gyms closed I started cycling to work from the station, avoiding the tube, and have managed to hover between 13st 10lb and 13st 12lb.
Mrs Nobby is still banging out the home made cakes, which doesn't help so I've been doing the odd 5k run just to keep up some level of fitness but I hate running.
My annual fitness test was cancelled in May due to lockdown and I'm just waiting to hear when the re arranged date is so have to keep in top of things a bit but I've found that staying motivated is hard when running is all I've got.

I find a long walk or a run is easier when I have some music to listen to!

Definitely although I've been listening to the Peter Crouch podcast during my run, really takes your mind off the pain 😳
Watched a tiny bit of his show yesterday what on earth who's dumb idea was it to give him a presenting job on prime time TV?????
I really must be out of touch or they are.

Definitely although I've been listening to the Peter Crouch podcast during my run, really takes your mind off the pain 😳

The Peter Crouch podcasts are very good! There was a recent one with Tony Pulis! When my wife was doing the couch to 5k there was an app to help you keep motivated narrated by Sarah Millican! When you got to the end of your run she would say “Well done my dear, now put your feet up and have a banana”

What does your Annual Fitness test involve ?

I was using the time off to get really fit by mountain biking three times a week around bluebell hill until I broke my collarbone three weeks ago ..... so now I am walking loads .... at least 12500 steps per day ..... not as good as cycling but it’s something.

the wine and beer consumption has certainly increased though recently so it’s a struggle to keep the weight off ..... I may have put on a couple if pounds but I can normally take it off by ignoring the naughty food for a week or two.....

What does your Annual Fitness test involve ?
They've scaled it down a lot over recent years.
Blood pressure check
Eyesight and hearing checks
Bleep test to level 8
Surprisingly, a lot of new recruits can't do the entry level 5.4 on the bleep test 😳

They've scaled it down a lot over recent years.
Blood pressure check
Eyesight and hearing checks
Bleep test to level 8
Surprisingly, a lot of new recruits can't do the entry level 5.4 on the bleep test 😳

So don't have to complete a timed run or x number of sit-ups etc ?

ps What's a bleep test ?