Joyce v Cook | Page 2 | Vital Football

Joyce v Cook

Think of the good times Hampton. 😁
😉
I do Moonay, I do but the last one for me - Donny away, seems a long time ago now
Europe, FA Cup win, Wembley as a second home even longer.
Prom to the prem almost out of sight same for Duke and Roberts in their pomp.
TBF we've had some great ups this century which makes it such a crying shame how shit things are right now !
Still darkest before the dawn as they say 😉

Overly harsh comparing Paul Cook to that useless ex united berk.
If another experienced manager comes out with something like this
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39264495
Perhaps there might be a case.

Also, it will be interesting to see what money is provided for the upcoming transfer window. Might be an indication as to whether the manager is trusted enough.

Older players with injury histories
Younger loan players
A big signing
Players sales
Nobody at all

However, the ex United buffoon was allowed to blow the last of the parachute payments.
I am sure MIW still fondly remembers that transfer window ....:oops:

Last edited:

Also, it will be interesting to see what money is provided for the upcoming transfer window. Might be an indication as to whether the manager is trusted enough.

Younger loan players
A big signing
Players sales
Nobody at all

Is it that harsh if he's doing significantly worse this season?

We are not relegated as yet, the matches are not as dull as they were back then. There have been moments, mind you.
We are not playing with 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes
The players this time around appear to want to play for Mr Cook.

Plenty of time to get out of the bottom 3, the youth coach had that brief spell of form that quickly dissipated. If the current manager cannot turn things around soon,
I will gladly apologise and note that Cook is as bad as the current Salford youth coach.

What a shame that the youth coach was not carted off on Blackburn's wheelbarrow that day (13th March 2017). Poor Shaun MacDonald !

Last edited:

Younger loan players
A big signing
Players sales
Nobody at all

However, the ex United buffoon was allowed to blow the last of the parachute payments.

Yep, another utter disaster. Put that down to Sharpe and Jackson though. As soon as Yanic went in the last minutes it was game up.

We are not relegated as yet, the matches are not as dull as they were back then. There have been moments, mind you.
We are not playing with 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes
The players this time around appear to want to play for Mr Cook.

Plenty of time to get out of the bottom 3, the youth coach had that brief spell of form that quickly dissipated. If the current manager cannot turn things around soon,
I will gladly apologise and note that Cook is as bad as the current Salford youth coach.

What a shame that the youth coach was not carted off on Blackburn's wheelbarrow that day (13th March 2017). Poor Shaun MacDonald !

What do you define as a turn around and how long is soon?

Joyce was awful but Cook has been just as bad for large parts of the season on performance and worse in results overall. For any manager to have a worse win ratio than Joyce should be an automatic sacking for me - Cooks this season is 9% worse. This season is the worst win ratio I believe any manager in the last 25 years or so and that was after being one of the biggest net spending summers we've ever had.

Younger loan players
A big signing
Players sales
Nobody at all

Joyce didn't spend anything net - he spent just over 1m after selling Yanic for 7m - he raised about 6m. He had his best player sold and his second best (Powell) injured throughout his whole reign. You can blame him for lots but you can't blame him for wasting the parachute money - he wasn't given any. He got Bogle for 1m then rest were or loans, frees or nominal fees from lower leagues. We were scraping the barrel as it appeared there was no budget for him - what little he did spend only became available after Yanic was gone on the last day.

Cook got 8m and a preseason to get worse results this season - if Cook inherited what Joyce did under the same conditions it's hard to imagine he'd have done any better. That's not so much a defence of Joyce as he still should've done much better but Cook has done worse with a much better set of circumstances on his side.

Last edited:
Joyce was dreadful and very negative. Cook has been like that a lot in The Championship and none of us can fathom why after seeing how we got promoted in his first season. Someone pointed out that we didn’t beat any top sides that year though, Cook seems to have some sort of mentality issue when it comes to attacking teams who he thinks might hurt us. The big exceptions were when we went on the FA cup run though and beat some premier league teams and there have been the odd games in the Championship when we’ve played really well against the top sides. At the moment I have to say the football had been far better in recent games but there’s no goal threat. For me the issue is the front 4 that he’s picking. Windass isn’t a no.9 whilst Jacobs, Lowe and Massey just aren’t doing it. It’s time he picked Gelhardt from he start and Pilkington needs to be more involved .

If we sign any one this January. They must have played at this level of football as buying league one players does not work for us

What do you define as a turn around and how long is soon?

The turn around has started imo.

7 points taken in the last six games, better on pitch performances and an away win to cap it off, as opposed to 1 point in the previous six, poor on pitch performance, hoofball, no away wins.

This weekend is a day off from the league and hopefully a chance for the players to show their talents against the second best team in the premier league whilst having no pressure or expectations on them.

Hopefully we can then take on Bristol at home and get another result to move us up and out of the relegation places.

Or it's a chance for the small groundswell of confidence the players got from a win at Birmingham to be obliterated by an absolute spanking from a quality side with an excellent board and manager...

Oh, and I'd take Joyce back in a heartbeat if it meant we were shut of Cook. I'd take literally anyone over Cook.

Or it's a chance for the small groundswell of confidence the players got from a win at Birmingham to be obliterated by an absolute spanking from a quality side with an excellent board and manager...

Oh, and I'd take Joyce back in a heartbeat if it meant we were shut of Cook. I'd take literally anyone over Cook.
Too right, both played boring shit football and were happy going for one point. At least Joyce would admit he was going into games for one point. Pissed me off that one lucky win at a shit side like Brum that the air changes re the clown. Eighteen months of pure garbage shouldn't be forgotten.
Cook out!