Jovon Makama | Page 4 | Vital Football

Jovon Makama

To save you all from playing Miss Marple and to counter some disappointing comments, I will explain the strategy behind this.

Tom elected to put 2 CFs (JM & JV) on the bench so he could play with a front two under various pre-empted/considered scenarios.

Going into the game, we all knew JV was load-compromised, and anything above 30 minutes had increased risk, but under the most likely scenarios, this was enough to warrant a spot in the 18.

Knowing a second ‘half’ is somewhere IRO 49-58 minutes, the enforced change with only 5 minutes on the clock (when RH was injured), Tom opted (rightly IMO) to use JM as his like-for-like change.

As the game developed, the two #9s scenario was never executed (or required). Also, given the profile of 1 (forced), 1 (tactical) then + 1 substitutes, the final change (HA for TB) was aimed at maintaining overall aerial profile (to deal with the inevitable ‘Alamo’ - which we had seen LJ use in the past) but have a fresh ‘ball handler’ to retain the ball when we did have possession.

Should Tom have opted to make 2 changes in his final round of substitutions (eg JM for JV), we would have lowered the team total aerial profile.

The only other way to have done this, was JV on at 50 and then back off at 80, but this would have used a substitute that we may have wished to have used differently should the game have taken an alternative pattern.

Hopefully puts a few conspiracy theories to bed.
pretty impressive insight into the level of thinking that goes into what is (in the grand scheme of things) a pretty minor decision. We're lucky we have this board when this is the communication we get compared with drunken Twitter rants from the Accrington chairman

Does this work both ways though? Can a player question the coach/managers training methods or team selection in an after match interview.

Well have you ever heard one? ....No.
If a player in the team and wants to stay in it you won't hearing them saying anything negative about the coach, privately or amongst the squad it will be a different story.

I think perhaps the only thing we might not have considered is the potential to change formation to 2 up front, presumably if we were behind in the game. A genuine plan B
Which MK tried on at least a couple of occasions in the past...

I think most of us assumed that was the situation without it needing to be explained? Common sense with a new player and recovering from injury then the early substitution of Reeco, Makama was the only option.

Your talking with hindsight and talking on the back of a situation that has been explained to you by the Chief Executive. You assumed but you didn't know

I think perhaps the only thing we might not have considered is the potential to change formation to 2 up front, presumably if we were behind in the game. A genuine plan B

You need to re-read Liams post.

Shows you the state of things when someone (a CEO) who has absolutely no experience of managing/coaching a football club comes on here and explains things properly 🤔 (apologies - tongue firmly in cheek 😂)

Your talking with hindsight and talking on the back of a situation that has been explained to you by the Chief Executive. You assumed but you didn't know

You need to re-read Liams post.
Err yes and it says we had two forwards on the bench so we could change to two up front in certain scenarios. Pretty sure that’s what I wrote.

Dunno you’re confusing me what are you reading

You said that we didn't consider the potential to change the formation and play 2 up front if we were losing the game which would of been a plan B.

Then you said we had 2 forwards on the bench so we could change to 2 up top in certain scenarios but you said we didn't consider that in your first post , when we had.

It's petty, let's just leave it.

To be honest I agree with what you say there but it's a sad state of affairs when we come to that.

Footballs a game full of emotions and it's hard to hold them emotions back in an after match interview win, lose or draw.

By the way I was in total support of what Kennedy said about Mandroiu, that was nothing but the hard truth and in no way should that be held against by anyone. As his coach he has every right to say what he feels about people who ultimately affect his employment.

I think the situation we had with Vale not coming on yesterday was a lot easier than that.

Hortins question was simple;
'You had Jack Vale on the bench, why didn't you use him'.

I would of just liked to hear Shaws answer out of his mouth as opposed to all the assumptions we've heard on here.

Is it really too much for a coach to answer that question?
Hortin was having a really bad day yesterday calling Cohen, Coleman, and reading out the 'final' football scores which bore no resemblance to reality . To ask why Vale did not come on was certainly several bridges too far for him ! Think he needs to up his game a bit or hand over to Rob Makepeace.
Didn't Hortin ask Shaw on Saturday? Or was it the pre-match press conference?

Whilst it's nice to have Liam post on here from time to time, I can't believe he's felt the need to come on here and explain why a striker wasn't brought on at a particular time during a game.

Whilst it's nice to have Liam post on here from time to time, I can't believe he's felt the need to come on here and explain why a striker wasn't brought on at a particular time during a game.

Frankly embarrassing that the CEO of a multi-million pound organisation feels the need to do so, especially on a Sunday when he really should be having some time off. In this case the ‘customer’ very much isn’t always right.

On that subject, I don’t know if anyone else in the St Andrews Stand noticed the small altercation between a ‘supporter’ and Liam last night. Said supporter decided to berate Tom Shaw immediately after we’d equalised (I don’t know either), and Liam rushed down to give him an earful. Nearly as entertaining as what was being served up on the pitch.

Last edited:
I'd missed what had been said in this thread and where it had gone, actually bonkers

Edit: It is in some ways an interesting/nice explanation, just expected to read more posts about a potential Makama loan not all that after a good win!

Frankly embarrassing that the CEO of a multi-million pound organisation feels the need to do so, especially on a Sunday when he really should be having some time off. In this case the ‘customer’ very much isn’t always right.

On that subject, I don’t know if anyone else in the St Andrews Stand noticed the small altercation between a ‘supporter’ and Liam last night. Said supporter decided to berate Tom Shaw immediately after we’d equalised (I don’t know either), and Liam rushed down to give him an earful. Nearly as entertaining as what was being served up on the pitch.
That supporter is a regular poster on here (user name starts with F), perhaps he will explain what it was about. Maybe from LS it was a case of let the staff get on with their jobs