Jovon Makama | Page 2 | Vital Football

Jovon Makama

It was tellling that we brought on Makama, rather than risk Vale and we didn't even feel it worth risking Vale for the last 10 minutes in his place either.

I think Jovon has a future to make for himself and is still on an upward trajectory.

This. No matter how well thought of he is or isn’t. Genuinely stunned we’d loan any forward out at min.

We cant loan anyone out until January Gaz by which time we will have an abundance of strikers to pick from, Walker, House, Moylan, Vale, possibly Draper.

He wouldn't get in the team in front of any of those so he needs to go out, play regularly, learn and perfect his trade then we can assess where he is from there.

I think the fact we really need a(nother?) striker to select from made introducing Vale yesterday even more unlikely.

If I wanted to get stuck into the club.....

a perfect opportunity could have arisen yesterday.

Vale comes on and tweaks his hamstring....

The madness of putting a bloke who has only managed Gainsborough in charge, who sees his main attacking option limp off the pitch ...and then chucks on Vale for less than a half, in a game we were already winning, when he could have put Makama on......

....may have been pointed out?

I think the fact we really need a(nother?) striker to select from made introducing Vale yesterday even more unlikely.

If I wanted to get stuck into the club.....

a perfect opportunity could have arisen yesterday.

Vale comes on and tweaks his hamstring....

The madness of putting a bloke who has only managed Gainsborough in charge, who sees his main attacking option limp off the pitch ...and then chucks on Vale for less than a half, in a game we were already winning, when he could have put Makama on......

....may have been pointed out?

Utter and complete non existent senerio that you've just made up straight off the top of your head that bears no relevance to anything.

Why are you looking to defend something that doesn't need defending.

Fact. Vale is fit to play (some part) or he wouldn't be named on the bench.

He didn't come on, I have absolutely no problem with that but I thought Hortin may have asked the question of why they didn't use him and the answer come out the horses mouth.

Why is it that some people think that our Head Coach, whoever that may be, is immune to being asked questions that some fans might like to hear the answer to.

We cant loan anyone out until January Gaz by which time we will have an abundance of strikers to pick from, Walker, House, Moylan, Vale, possibly Draper.

He wouldn't get in the team in front of any of those so he needs to go out, play regularly, learn and perfect his trade then we can assess where he is from there.
Funny I thought we only loaned somebody out last week 🤔

Makama for me is not ready, all he needs is to go for balls and win them, get stuck into opponents,just as Draper did in 1st team games he played in, and as Rheady did, and I think they, the coaches know they can do this, hope so for Jovon, the boy's been under Shaw for long enough anyway.
As TS said himself we now have a really good squad, and yes we can challenge the top teams(we've done it before) I've researched both TS and CC . TS has been here now for a while coming through the club,both have been involved at Forest together, playing and coaching, seem to have alot of experience, TS has obviously seen miskakes being made throughout the team/club and hopefully can put a few things right in the short/longterm whatever.As TS said in interview the players will get more freedom to show their technical abilities, and be allowed to express themselves, as I believe happened yesterday.
As O'Connor said in interview the players have great respect for TS and he certainly knows his stuff, so with these coaches are'nt we half way there to getting back on track so to speak, we'll see over next 2 weeks.
Come on Boys.

For me Makama has all the qualities needed to make it in the game but seems to be very tentative in his play either through lack of confidence/believe which is why I have always had Draper ahead of him. IMO he needs to spend a few weeks with someone like Rheady so that he knows how to utilse his qualities.

Makama for me is not ready, all he needs is to go for balls and win them, get stuck into opponents,just as Draper did in 1st team games he played in, and as Rheady did, and I think they, the coaches know they can do this, hope so for Jovon, the boy's been under Shaw for long enough anyway.
As TS said himself we now have a really good squad, and yes we can challenge the top teams(we've done it before) I've researched both TS and CC . TS has been here now for a while coming through the club,both have been involved at Forest together, playing and coaching, seem to have alot of experience, TS has obviously seen miskakes being made throughout the team/club and hopefully can put a few things right in the short/longterm whatever.As TS said in interview the players will get more freedom to show their technical abilities, and be allowed to express themselves, as I believe happened yesterday.
As O'Connor said in interview the players have great respect for TS and he certainly knows his stuff, so with these coaches are'nt we half way there to getting back on track so to speak, we'll see over next 2 weeks.
Come on Boys.
You ot in just ahead of me.

Utter and complete non existent senerio that you've just made up straight off the top of your head that bears no relevance to anything.

He didn't come on, I have absolutely no problem with that but I thought Hortin may have asked the question of why they didn't use him and the answer come out the horses mouth.

Why is it that some people think that our Head Coach, whoever that may be, is immune to being asked questions that some fans might like to hear the answer to.
I didn't say the coach was immune from being asked any question.

...but the truth is you will only be told what it makes sense to be told....which is often not very much.

Put yourself in their position.

"Anything you say, may be written down and used in evidence against you"

There is a filter on everything they say or there ought to be.

Is it true?
Am I sure?
Will it upset or offend anyone ... player, supporter, director
If it needs saying is it the right time and place to say it
I had better not say that because it might cause me a problem if x,y or z happens later on

and so on

My example is what could have happened.

Any intelligent person speaking to the press will either have fully thought out what he is saying or not say it, unless it is a bland statement that can't be "used against them".

You might not like that to be the case.

...but I think it is.

He can be loaned out to a non league club which was clearly the plan here. Yes once everyone else fit a loan makes perfect sense, but not right now.

Come on Boys.
fyi. Shaw quote from post match: ‘I only know him (Chris Cohen) because i am a forest fan’
they have not worked together as players or coaches. shaw also quoted as saying it is a great move by the club, so the club are responsible for bringing Cohen in, not shaw.

I think without Hackets injury Vale may have replaced hacket after 70 mins... but with Makama already on it would have been harsh to sub the sub.

I didn't say the coach was immune from being asked any question.

...but the truth is you will only be told what it makes sense to be told....which is often not very much.

Put yourself in their position.

"Anything you say, may be written down and used in evidence against you"

There is a filter on everything they say or there ought to be.

Is it true?
Am I sure?
Will it upset or offend anyone ... player, supporter, director
If it needs saying is it the right time and place to say it
I had better not say that because it might cause me a problem if x,y or z happens later on

and so on

My example is what could have happened.

Any intelligent person speaking to the press will either have fully thought out what he is saying or not say it, unless it is a bland statement that can't be "used against them".

You might not like that to be the case.

...but I think it is.

To be honest I agree with what you say there but it's a sad state of affairs when we come to that.

Footballs a game full of emotions and it's hard to hold them emotions back in an after match interview win, lose or draw.

By the way I was in total support of what Kennedy said about Mandroiu, that was nothing but the hard truth and in no way should that be held against by anyone. As his coach he has every right to say what he feels about people who ultimately affect his employment.

I think the situation we had with Vale not coming on yesterday was a lot easier than that.

Hortins question was simple;
'You had Jack Vale on the bench, why didn't you use him'.

I would of just liked to hear Shaws answer out of his mouth as opposed to all the assumptions we've heard on here.

Is it really too much for a coach to answer that question?

He can be loaned out to a non league club which was clearly the plan here. Yes once everyone else fit a loan makes perfect sense, but not right now.

Yes true, Kennedy clearly didn't feel he was good enough for the first team, Shaw does. That's how different coaches can change players careers.

Still think he needs to go out on loan though, not now but in January.

I like him - probab
For me Makama has all the qualities needed to make it in the game but seems to be very tentative in his play either through lack of confidence/believe which is why I have always had Draper ahead of him. IMO he needs to spend a few weeks with someone like Rheady so that he knows how to utilse his qualities.
Admittedly I've only seen a limited amount of yestersay's match but the way he took the goal v Wolves kids, was very impressive - I've seen lots of so-called L1 strikers make a mess of those. Also, he went past the defender yesterday and looked as though he was set for another until he was dragged down.

I think he should be given a chance before a loan decision in January

Is it really too much for an interviewer to ask that question?
Hortin was having a really bad day yesterday calling Cohen, Coleman, and reading out the 'final' football scores which bore no resemblance to reality . To ask why Vale did not come on was certainly several bridges too far for him ! Think he needs to up his game a bit or hand over to Rob Makepeace.

Last edited:
I am often wrong....but to me Makama is almost certain to make it.. .at least to the level we are playing now.

I have seen him a few times recently and each time he has had an impact on the game especially at the death of games....Bristol Rovers, Wolves and Yesterday....mainly due to his pace and being able to run with the ball which is not really what you would expect given his stature

....and that is playing for a L1 team.

Yes there are lots and lots of things he needs to do better and a loan may well be beneficial.

But whereas someone like Kendall has little evidence he can cause many/any worries to a L1 defence, Makama already has.
Possibly a little unfair assessment on Kendall, I don't think he has been given the opportunities that Makama has had, in contrast he was signed and shipped out as soon as possible, so the comparison between Makama and Kendall is a bit like apples and oranges.