Jones signs for Wrexham | Page 4 | Vital Football

Jones signs for Wrexham

I don't see why the English FA allow Welsh clubs to play in the English leagues and cup competitions. Celtic and Rangers from o'er the border can't get in.

Is that true? When did they last apply?

Incidentally, Gretna played in English leagues in the 1990s, also in the FA Cup.

I don't see why the English FA allow Welsh clubs to play in the English leagues and cup competitions. Celtic and Rangers from o'er the border can't get in. I am aware of the history of why the Welsh clubs play in the English pyramid, but there is now a League pyramid in Wales and has been since the early 90's. Hypothetical, but how would UEFA and FIFA view the situation should the UK break up into 4 or however many countries. Are there any precedents around the world?

Very good point !

That's not actually true. The offices and part of the pitch on the near touchline and corner were always in England.

However in April 2017 Chester FC successfully lobbied to have the official border moved around the stadium which it now does.

Chester Football Club – Official Website » Border moved – Lookers Vauxhall Stadium now completely in England (chesterfc.com)

View attachment 51361
That's brilliant! Football changing borders, in a very minor way. At least it was done officially, unlike the Belgian farmer inadvertently stealing land from France.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56978344.amp

I knew I would get 1 have a look at the date :lol:.

Although tbf it is true that the offices are in England as they would otherwise have to join the Welsh FA.
Ah, you sod! I didn't read the article, just looked at the image, more fool me. Dang it!

That would be quite ironic if that had been true really as the ground was built there for that reason so they could play in the welsh fa cup.
The border pretty much runs from diagonally across the ground, awful to get out of , takes ages.

Last edited:
Phil Parkinson speaking about the signing of James Jones:

"...when we realised we could get him for free I just thought it was too good a deal to turn down... they had to move a player out to get one in"

Phil Parkinson speaking about the signing of James Jones:

"...when we realised we could get him for free I just thought it was too good a deal to turn down... they had to move a player out to get one in"
I suppose undisclosed could still equal zero