Jones signs for Wrexham | Page 2 | Vital Football

Jones signs for Wrexham

When we signed him, Appleton said:

"James is a midfielder who scores and creates goals which will give us a different dynamic in the middle of midfield."

In terms of goals and assists perhaps the output wasn't as expected? And we have generally gone slightly more for the midfield schemer / 10 types since rather than box to box players.

Gone of the days of us knowing we spent £60k for Alan Roberts from Sheff Utd or receiving £180k for Mick Harford from Newcastle.

Can we even begin to guess what we’ll receive for Jones? 🤷‍♂️ Not sure he was quite top end League 1 standard, but he’ll definitely be a top player in the National League …. and wish him well.

I'm one of those who thought he was one of our best and most consistent players pre-covid, and I'll stick by that, scored a couple of nice goals and assists too, good high-energy box-to-box midfielder.

He wasn't the same post-covid, energy levels clearly down which was significant part of his game and hasn't so far seemed to have fully recovered and I'd say that's key to him going now.

Hopefully he can regain that fitness at Wrexywood with more game time. Like Harry at Brizzle, it feels at least a level below his capabilities but they're splashing the cash to be L2 next season.

Good luck, Jonah!

Fair enough. I thought the goal output / threat wasn't really there for a box to box player when you considered he was much less adept in tight spaces than a mcgrandles, grant, bridcutt etc. I can't really remember many outstanding performances but if there were many, I guess they were at the start of the campaign. Or in the less fashionable cups!

I would guess it’s a minimal fee at this point so probably not enough to cover a players wages. Sort of £25,000-£50,000

Someone on TFF posted this, the fee does sound kind of right IMO.

Uni friend of mine who now works as a journalist in Lincolnshire has been told we've paided 65k with a 10k add on if we go up this season.
Looks a class signing on paper, but I said that about JJ Hooper and he was gash

Good move for everyone really, he was down the pecking order here. Although Jones came close to a Championship move, I think if you look at Bishop, albeit on limited viewing, that's a player who's closer to Championship quality than Jones is.

Aside from being fairly athletic, you'd not pin him down to a certain type of midfielder would you? His output in terms of goals/assists, for a '10' wasn't that high and didn't knit the top end of the pitch together like, say, Grant did.

Decent pre-Covid but, understandably, not so good post-Covid and didn't get much of a look in anyway.

Just catching up with this after looking through the match thread and thinking well Jones ain't getting any game time this season if he's not featuring tonight.

Good luck to him. He'll be an asset in the National League