John becks centre spot pre match fan talks | Vital Football

John becks centre spot pre match fan talks

89spartans_12/03/77

Vital Squad Member
I can recall him introducing new signing Carl cort. Telling us how cort will have a great future in the game.
Very innovative of john these fan talks pre game.
There weren’t many of us though to talk to back then.

Cort was an England under 21 international, only scored once for the Imps away at Mansfield if memory serves during his loan spell.

I used to regularly bump into Beck, on a Saturday night, in a Newark boozer. Always "willing" to briefly speak to, or humour a drunken me.

Anyone can make a mistake, said the Dalek climbing off the dustbin. My excuse is, my only memory of him in an Imps shirt was away at Mansfield.
I think a few of us are at that stage of life where we only make tentative recollections and seek confirmation from those with either healthier little grey cells or are statistical geniuses!

The biggest attraction of the talk was of course the pork rolls.
Who was the ex Wimbledon assistant? (Can’t believe I’ve lost his name) but he was always out on the lash and was good company after a game.

Thought he scored at home on his debut? Might be my memory playing tricks though.

First game was (I'm sure) my son's first game watching the Imps in the autumn of 1996 Vs Wigan which we lost 2-4. I don't think he played many times for us, though, maybe five or six before going back to Wimbledon and scored just the one goal I think.

First game was (I'm sure) my son's first game watching the Imps in the autumn of 1996 Vs Wigan which we lost 2-4. I don't think he played many times for us, though, maybe five or six before going back to Wimbledon and scored just the one goal I think.

I may have misled you above, maybe that game was in March 1996 and the next time we played them was later that year (September?) at their place which we lost 0-1. The mind plays tricks don't you know.

Didn't Graham Taylor speak to the fans over through the PA system? I also have some memory of Denis Booth doing a Cloughie impression before a game.

Didn't Graham Taylor speak to the fans over through the PA system? I also have some memory of Denis Booth doing a Cloughie impression before a game.

Yes, he would often (or at least sometimes) speak before the match. Dennis Booth entertained us at the game with Stockport on Good Friday 1976. He was suspended for that game and he described the wearer of his no. 4 shirt that day as 'a big bully' - it was Percy Freeman.

How did he get suspended? A rare thing in those days.

Rothman's Yearbook has Dick Krzywicki as No.4 for the Stockport match (then dropped again for Donny match).