Joe Comper | Page 3 | Vital Football

Joe Comper

We ar emissing a key point here. In the statement about upgrading the data anaylsts tools it also uses the word personnel. We will lose Hess as rexruitment fuy and have someone new working the data tool and reporting to Jackett who will then look at the player himself?

We ar emissing a key point here. In the statement about upgrading the data anaylsts tools it also uses the word personnel. We will lose Hess as rexruitment fuy and have someone new working the data tool and reporting to Jackett who will then look at the player himself?

This kind of thing, I assume.

Nothing groundbreaking but there's a good deal more focus now placed on these tools beyond simply watching players - a sort of opening gambit, to identify key metrics before they scout more deeply.

A friend who is at one PL club told me they have a list of non-negotiables and, say, wouldn't remotely consider a player (of any position) if his average field coverage per game is below 11km... then they look at pace on fast breaks, successful press % etc.

Anything for even the slightest competitive edge, I guess.

Clemence is clearly of this data-crunching ilk. We need to support his endeavours there, but I cannot stress enough - we're certainly not at the forefront here. If anything we may be a late adopter...

Brentford got promoted using the Moneyball method.
Basically, they scouted the players from the lower division, waited until out of contract and doubled their salary to move.
It got them into the premier league.
I don’t know if they still use it but wouldn’t be surprised, just internationally now.

A friend who is at one PL club told me they have a list of non-negotiables and, say, wouldn't remotely consider a player (of any position) if his average field coverage per game is below 11km... then they look at pace on fast breaks, successful press % etc.
Anything for even the slightest competitive edge, I guess.
Clemence is clearly of this data-crunching ilk. We need to support his endeavours there, but I cannot stress enough - we're certainly not at the forefront here. If anything we may be a late adopter...
I suspect I am being very out of date with what is possible, but how would they get an accurate measurement of that? Do all the players wear a Fitbit or similar during a game? Or does a remote camera follow each individual player during each game with some sort of smart feature to calculate it accurately?

Indeed, but the same statement said that Comper would be working very closely alongside Director of Football Kenny Jackett, so I think that implies he won’t be going anywhere.
The statement (kind of) contradicts itself.

In the first paragraph, it says "Joe will now also oversee football operations" implying (in my opinion) that he's taking overall responsibility for the football parts as well, ie that he's "head honcho".

I don't see how that squares with "...working closely with Kenny Jackett"

I suspect I am being very out of date with what is possible, but how would they get an accurate measurement of that? Do all the players wear a Fitbit or similar during a game? Or does a remote camera follow each individual player during each game with some sort of smart feature to calculate it accurately?

You might have seen players wearing what looks tantamount to a black sports bra. They have GPS fitted to them and take live data about heart rate, distance, pace, burst and so on.

My understanding is they can see this live on the bench too.

The statement (kind of) contradicts itself.

In the first paragraph, it says "Joe will now also oversee football operations" implying (in my opinion) that he's taking overall responsibility for the football parts as well, ie that he's "head honcho".

I don't see how that squares with "...working closely with Kenny Jackett"

True. I wonder what Kenny thinks of it all? Working under and reporting to another manager? Especially if he thought he was previously in that kind of position himself “Director of Football” reporting only to Brad n Shan.

He may welcome it or he may feel undermined and move on of his own accord.

You might have seen players wearing what looks tantamount to a black sports bra. They have GPS fitted to them and take live data about heart rate, distance, pace, burst and so on.

My understanding is they can see this live on the bench too.

My understanding too (and therefore gospel). I think it was Clemence that mentioned seeing that a player had exceeded their ‘maximum load’ and was therefore taken off.

Think there is something called a multi visa entry, so I think the 180 day doesn’t apply. I Just did a quick Google so others may know more. Think you need to prove that it’s not your full time residence

The 180 day thing is a pain in the arse IMO.

If the money is earned outside of the UK and you're not going to access services like the NHS what's the problem?

This is a good move. Joe seems like a communicable, positive and competent guy. Something we need.

"We are in the midst of an investment into larger and more complex data analytics tools and personnel for recruiting which will need to be incorporated under this newly consolidated organisation"

This is is also good news, ostensibly. Clubs higher up the pyramid have this in place as a given these days. While it's no guarantee, it's something that can be used to good effect - this has SC's stamp all over it.

I wonder what our relationship with Brighton is like these days... by all accounts, from what I've been told, their scouting set up is next level. We need to leverage that Andrew Crofts connection for some insight!

Peterborough do this, their chairman is always banging on about it on his podcast.

Look at some of the money they've made from player sales over the years - we could only dream of it!

Peterborough do this, their chairman is always banging on about it on his podcast.

Look at some of the money they've made from player sales over the years - we could only dream of it!
True, but that also proves it is most definitely not infallible. There are a lot of players that Posh sign that don't come off and whenever they get to the Championship they come sliding back down again to League One (quicker than we did), which suggests they are limited financially.

Macanthony ("banging on" is what he does), like so many others, is always chasing new investment and got some a few years back from two investors who have withdrawn since, I believe.

He also keeps paying off Ferguson before hiring him again, and paying off McCann before hiring him again, as well as paying off Evans after less than a year. That doesn't come cheap.

Last edited:
The 180 day thing is a pain in the arse IMO.

If the money is earned outside of the UK and you're not going to access services like the NHS what's the problem?
I can't for the life of me work out why my post about Brad seeming to have been in the UK for a long time has led to his possible tax/domicile status being a subject for discussion. How dull can we get?

It's got bugger all to do with Joe Comper's appointment, but possibly everything to do with management personnel or structural changes at the club.

I can't for the life of me work out why my post about Brad seeming to have been in the UK for a long time has led to his possible tax/domicile status being a subject for discussion. How dull can we get?

It's got bugger all to do with Joe Comper's appointment, but possibly everything to do with management personnel or structural changes at the club.
Of importance to us is whether the Galinsons are limited as to how many days a year they can stay here.

Joe Comper has been promoted to head of all operations and Brad has specifically explained that the change makes him feel more reassured with how the business is being run when he’s out of the country.

This to me goes hand-in-hand with the rumours that Scally was acting as if he was head honcho in these times.

People in the Great Hall on Friday were remarking that Scally was sitting on the plebs side of the hall rather than in the ‘Vice President’ side with the Galinsons etc. Has there been a breakdown?

We don’t know for certain whether KJ officially reported into Scally, whereas now we know he’ll report into Comper. Again, who knows if he previously reported into Scally whether he was happy. There were rumours that they differed as to Harris’ employment.

Since when has any post or thread not gone off topic. I thought it was a requirement for posting!!!!

Best of luck to Joe, he's obviously impressed in the time he's spent working closely with the Gallinsons.

He always comes across incredibly well - honest, informed, good humoured & and with a proper appreciation of the fan perspective. Another one who just 'gets it'.

Even though he's from Crawley.

Probably the only Gills fan whose Easter Weekend wasn't totally ruined by yesterdays second half performance.