Joe Comper | Page 2 | Vital Football

Joe Comper

Interesting that Kenny Jackett is to carry on as Director of Football as well, working alongside Joe Comper. Seen a number of posts from people wanting him replaced (along with Hess. Who was not mentioned today ).

Again, from Shannon's ME7 podcast, she said that Joe was effectively running the place anyway.
She said he was wearing many hats. I got the impression they wanted him to focus more on particular things rather than being the go-to person for everything, whereas this looks like a move in the other direction. Interesting...

Let's hope Joe isn't a Crawley secret agent.

PS did work ridiculously long hours, however that was surely more down to his reluctance to delegate to others, and mistrust of people other than his closest friends and family.

Plus the world was different 10 years ago. A lot of the “work all hours” culture died after Covid.

I’d wager that JC will keep a healthy work/life balance. Plus I don’t see the Galinsons as whipcracking types.
Then you've never worked for Americans.

Then you've never worked for Americans.
Agree - when it comes to long hours and poor workers rights, the states are one of the worst.

PS did work long hours, but for many owners, 15 hours days are the normal.

Responsible, trustworthy staff with an understanding and knowledge of any business who are willing to take and stand by their decisions are not cheap.

Probably need to see Joe's contract of employment for detail like that.
It will obviously be a learning curve but the Gallinsons clearly trust him and it's their money.
The best bosses trust their staff.
They may ask to be kept informed, mostly after the event - leaving just a handful of big decisions for prior approval.

Occasionally people make a sub-optimal decision - but that isn't the same as making a wrong decision.

Removing fear from subordinates can be liberating for everyone.

Congratulations to Joe. From everything I read he sounds a top bloke who has been excellent for Gills. We've been very lucky to have both him and Paul Fisher in these roles recently.

Very intriguing move as well as the press release. I wonder if this is a standalone appointment, or if there’ll be a few announcements and movement over the coming months. Gonna be interesting.

I’ve a hunch that Vambo might be right. Can see PS maybe keeping his shareholding but an official announcement made that he’s stepped back from any involvement in the actual running of the club. That could already be the case with no announcement actually.

Congratulations to Joe. From everything I read he sounds a top bloke who has been excellent for Gills. We've been very lucky to have both him and Paul Fisher in these roles recently.

Very intriguing move as well as the press release. I wonder if this is a standalone appointment, or if there’ll be a few announcements and movement over the coming months. Gonna be interesting.

I’ve a hunch that Vambo might be right. Can see PS maybe keeping his shareholding but an official announcement made that he’s stepped back from any involvement in the actual running of the club. That could already be the case with no announcement actually.
I don’t believe any announcement on Scally is needed. Any mention of his name will stir people up, even in mentioning him relinquishing the last of his shares or day-to-day working.

I don’t believe any announcement on Scally is needed. Any mention of his name will stir people up, even in mentioning him relinquishing the last of his shares or day-to-day working.
I saw Fred Perry today claim Scally owns 30% of the shares still. He’s also previously claimed Scally is operating in a 3 year consultancy role as a condition of the takeover, so won’t be going anywhere until December 2025 at the earliest.

Sounds like a great appointment. He tweeted that he promises transparency to the fans, well we cant ask for more than that.

Shannon tweeted "we are building one club, one culture" which implies there are different cultures today. Very intriguing.

All sounds good to me.

with respect, what does jc know about non-commercial stuff i.e the football side? does he have the power to hire and fire or is that still brad and shannon?
I would think so, but based on information and recommendations provided by JC.

PS knew nothing about the football side when he took over and he clearly did better at the start than at the end of his tenure. Neither did the Fish, and he did OK.

Its about taking advice as you go along. I believe Tony Smith knew Pulis and PS didn't. Then Pulis was pretty autocratic on the football side. By the time he left and Taylor took over, PS involved himself more, having picked up a bank of knowledge.

This is a good move. Joe seems like a communicable, positive and competent guy. Something we need.

"We are in the midst of an investment into larger and more complex data analytics tools and personnel for recruiting which will need to be incorporated under this newly consolidated organisation"

This is is also good news, ostensibly. Clubs higher up the pyramid have this in place as a given these days. While it's no guarantee, it's something that can be used to good effect - this has SC's stamp all over it.

I wonder what our relationship with Brighton is like these days... by all accounts, from what I've been told, their scouting set up is next level. We need to leverage that Andrew Crofts connection for some insight!

Interesting that Kenny Jackett is to carry on as Director of Football as well, working alongside Joe Comper. Seen a number of posts from people wanting him replaced (along with Hess. Who was not mentioned today ).
Lark, I read BG`s comments and the news items on GFC, as Joe Comper is now the Gallinsons` numero uno man at the Club, overseeing and in charge of all other departments - including Director of Football.

Looks like a sound move and one designed to add some welcome clarity to the clubs management structure. Like Nick Day85 alluded - this could mean a substantial shake-up of the recruitment process. That would be a good thing IMO.

Smart operating by the Gallinsons.

I would imagine there are rules and tax implications that restrict the number of days you can live and work in the UK as a foreign national.

I think it’s just shy of six months for simply hanging out and with primary residence clearly elsewhere, and 180 days if receiving an income from here. Happy to be corrected.

Lark, I read BG`s comments and the news items on GFC, as Joe Comper is now the Gallinsons` numero uno man at the Club, overseeing and in charge of all other departments - including Director of Football.

Looks like a sound move and one designed to add some welcome clarity to the clubs management structure. Like Nick Day85 alluded - this could mean a substantial shake-up of the recruitment process. That would be a good thing IMO.

Smart operating by the Gallinsons.
Indeed, but the same statement said that Comper would be working very closely alongside Director of Football Kenny Jackett, so I think that implies he won’t be going anywhere.

Think there is something called a multi visa entry, so I think the 180 day doesn’t apply. I Just did a quick Google so others may know more. Think you need to prove that it’s not your full time residence