Jarvis again | Vital Football

Jarvis again

SE1_Gills

Vital 1st Team Regular
From the horse's mouth- Matt wanted to sign and he called Evans repeatedly who didn't return any of them.

In the KM Evans said that he hadn't heard from MJ, quite the opposite.

There's an interest video going around on Social Media about Jarvis trying to keep his fitness levels up and get a club. I feel for him - seems like he's doing his utmost but not getting a sniff. Would love to see him at GFC again. Obviously, I wouldn't expect the bombing, pacey teenager we had, but he looked handy for Walsall last season - personally, I think that player would improve our squad on a pay-as-you-play type deal. If he's got absolutely no-takers and is releasing videos to tout some interest, I would have thought that sort of thing might be a possibility for someone, if not us?

Sounds wierd from both ends.

Just suppose Matty is right. And suppose he was really fantastic in training. And suppose he wasn’t asking for more money than we wanted to pay.

Why would Steve Evans just ignore him? A proven top class player player, who we could afford and who wanted to play? Doesn’t stack up.

Sounds wierd from both ends.

Just suppose Matty is right. And suppose he was really fantastic in training. And suppose he wasn’t asking for more money than we wanted to pay.

Why would Steve Evans just ignore him? A proven top class player player, who we could afford and who wanted to play? Doesn’t stack up.

Perhaps Evens’ management style works better with his players all being of a similar status and ready to obey orders at any given moment. Maybe Evens felt having someone of Matt’s status at the club would detract from that dynamic.

Jarvis’ account seems far more believable than Evens’.

Probably at the stage of his career he would best suited to playing on the left side of midfield.

We have just acquired Ben Pringle who can play there and Evans has far more knowledge of.

Could it be that Matty was doing too much shopping around and Evans just moved on?

I was more interested in the two different versions of the “truth” rather than saying that Jarvis would be the solution.

Why would a player (who is desperate to play) not return the calls of a manager whose club he’s been on trial at?

If Evans didn’t want to sign him because he’s not the style of player we need, or doesn’t want to spend what he has left in the budget on him then fair enough- just say that. Don’t make a player that we’ve got respect for look bad.

Ps I’m not his dad

Last edited:
Sure Matt Jarvis was a great player and I remember his great runs and goals for us .....but for me the clue is in the wording “he is without a club due to injuries “......

Do we really want another injury prone veteran ..... anybody remember Ricky Holmes last year ???

Maybe Steve Lovell would have taken the plunge due to the nostalgic connection but Evans doesn’t have the same concerns.

As WK writes ... we need a striker.......

:blah:

The thing is we know Evans has signed a few duds and he will look to offload them in January. Jarvis looked very very good in training and what’s interesting is that when Evans took over he made a huge statement by saying he didn’t want injury prone players and he would get shut of them - yet Willock closely followed by RCC could be said to be to be just that. I think he’s putting huge confidence in Willock who’s yet to deliver.
Evans wants players he can depend upon week in week out. However Jarvis may have given that extra bit of class when needed. Some might say a bit of a luxury player now but we have a very small squad. Evans can change his mind in an instant no matter how well anyone does. Once he changes his mind he never goes back because he’s stubborn and full of himself IMO. Jarvis may have been a special talent that we could have pulled off the bench when needed and become a game changer ? Could he have controlled Jarvis ?probably not and that’s what Evans is all about.

The thing is we know Evans has signed a few duds and he will look to offload them in January. Jarvis looked very very good in training and what’s interesting is that when Evans took over he made a huge statement by saying he didn’t want injury prone players and he would get shut of them - yet Willock closely followed by RCC could be said to be to be just that. I think he’s putting huge confidence in Willock who’s yet to deliver.
Evans wants players he can depend upon week in week out. However Jarvis may have given that extra bit of class when needed. Some might say a bit of a luxury player now but we have a very small squad. Evans can change his mind in an instant no matter how well anyone does. Once he changes his mind he never goes back because he’s stubborn and full of himself IMO. Jarvis may have been a special talent that we could have pulled off the bench when needed and become a game changer ? Could he have controlled Jarvis ?probably not and that’s what Evans is all about.

At least the duds are on loan so we can get rid of them in January and have another dabble.

Sure Matt Jarvis was a great player and I remember his great runs and goals for us .....but for me the clue is in the wording “he is without a club due to injuries “......

Do we really want another injury prone veteran ..... anybody remember Ricky Holmes last year ???

Maybe Steve Lovell would have taken the plunge due to the nostalgic connection but Evans doesn’t have the same concerns.

As WK writes ... we need a striker.......

:blah:

As I said, the post wasn’t about how we should sign MJ.

I’m interested in the two truths- I’m sceptical re the Evans PR machine (it’s not my first rodeo), just as I was regarding Martin Allen’s PR efforts.

At least the duds are on loan so we can get rid of them in January and have another dabble.

It’s far too early to be labelling anyone a dud. Who are these duds in your opinion?

I do recall Barry Fuller being labelled as one of the worst players we’ve ever had at a similar stage in his gills career. I wonder what happened to him?

I also don’t think any of the potential duds are loan players. Cisse, O’Keefe, Willock and Hodson are all contracted, and for me, they’re the new signings who have been criticised?

It’s far too early to be labelling anyone a dud. Who are these duds in your opinion?

I do recall Barry Fuller being labelled as one of the worst players we’ve ever had at a similar stage in his gills career. I wonder what happened to him?

Kettners used the word Duds, I should have included it in “ “ as it isn’t necessarily reflective of my views.

Jury is out on Cisse- though I’ve only seen him once and the match passed him by. Hopefully he will improve as he’s physically he could be a big presence in our midfield.

I’ve always rated Barry- lacked a little finesse back then, and still does today but love the effort and commitment.

I knew nothing of Willock before we signed him, Evans has talked him up and I hope he comes good

I also don’t think any of the potential duds are loan players. Cisse, O’Keefe, Willock and Hodson are all contracted, and for me, they’re the new signings who have been criticised?

I had o’keefe down as a loanee- I can’t keep up!

Ndjoli- not sure he will he kept on past Jan