January Window | Page 81 | Vital Football

January Window

Agree with all of that

I thought he was brilliant last season. One of those signings that really blew me away, couldn't believe I was seeing a player of that quality playing for Forest.

Made mistakes but was immense at times. Love the bloke
This season though he was way down on those performance levels, with Aina playing better.

I still think our full back options need looking at come the summer, which is crazy when we have 4 options at right back, 2 at left back, with both Aina and Williams able to play on the left also.

Brilliant so we are now going to do a trolley dash of loan players which in the long run is even less profitable or sustainable

Needed to move him on, we have way too many right backs. Good point on leadership though. If Felipe can play some minutes now until the end, Niakhate is here also.

Really hope that we can move Origi's loan and Tavares today
For some reason NES seems to prefer Tavares. Aina is my number one with Toff as back up.

Serge gone… that’s a shame. Love the bloke and think he’s been a tremendous signing, especially on a free. Do worry we’re losing some real leaders in the dressing. Lost McKenna, Serge, Mangala and possibly the club captain… hope there’s enough character and fight left for a relegation scrap
It’s a shame but he had dropped to 3rd choice so it’s one more off the wage bill and maybe a small fee as a bonus. Good luck to him though he has done his job for us.

Yes, but even Murillo had at least 25 games to judge some of his potential. The other 2 much more than that. Can't see him getting any minutes in our run in
Yes this seems at face value a bit of an odd one as our needs are now really not for the future.

Really dont see the point of this signing, either now as a loan, and certainly not at 10m+
You can't win can you.
People complain when we waste big money on has beens/ big players etc and say we should adopt the Brighton model of buying good young players and developing them to play for us for a couple of years and then sell on for a big profit.
That is what this looks like to me - he is Portuguese - we have a Portuguese manager who has been sat at home in Portugal for a couple of months before coming to us - Do you really think NES knows nothing about him and what he can become?

We even get to look at him for a few months first before committing

That's not the debate though.

We could cover the rest of this season with a good loan or short term deal. We managed it last season.

The discussion is whether we want Johnstone to be our long term keeper, for the next few seasons either in this league or the one below.

If we are relegated then fine, solid. This league?

When we finally, after two seasons, decide on a long term solution to our goalkeeping problem, do we want that to be Johnstone? They signed him from relegated West Brom for about £5m. Is he really our long term £15m keeper?
I think it's a case of beggers can't be choosers. I wouldn't be particularly thrilled with him as our starting keeper for the next few years but we could do worse. At this point, we just have to get the best we can.

You say to get a loan in but
1. We don't know if the loan market has suitable/available options.
2. That's more money we've given away that we won't see a return from.

We could always upgrade again in a year or so and have him as our number 2, which would be a solid option.

I'm on holiday overseas and just had one of the worst experiences of my life which I won't go into for now at least

Anyway - I need someone to update me on any ins or outs so far today?

Especially any news of a new keeper?

Please improve my day?

What happened? Was fawaz staying in the next room to you ?

I think it's a case of beggers can't be choosers. I wouldn't be particularly thrilled with him as our starting keeper for the next few years but we could do worse. At this point, we just have to get the best we can.

You say to get a loan in but
1. We don't know if the loan market has suitable/available options.
2. That's more money we've given away that we won't see a return from.

We could always upgrade again in a year or so and have him as our number 2, which would be a solid option.
He wont come as a number 2. He will want assurances

It’s a shame but he had dropped to 3rd choice so it’s one more off the wage bill and maybe a small fee as a bonus. Good luck to him though he has done his job for us.
If we weren't moaning about having 4 shit goalkeepers - we would probably be having the conversation about 4 inadequate full backs.

I thought Aurier was really good for us last season - but hasn't really hit that level this.
The other 3 all are very inconsistent - I don't know the statistics - but it feels to me that a lot more goals conceded come down the RH side than down the left.
Nothing we can change this season - but needs addressing in the Summer as Montiel & Aina are both out of contract and a few clubs appear interested in Williams - I am not saying we should lose all 3 - but maybe 2 of them with the other one staying as back up

You can't win can you.
People complain when we waste big money on has beens/ big players etc and say we should adopt the Brighton model of buying good young players and developing them to play for us for a couple of years and then sell on for a big profit.
That is what this looks like to me - he is Portuguese - we have a Portuguese manager who has been sat at home in Portugal for a couple of months before coming to us - Do you really think NES knows nothing about him and what he can become?

We even get to look at him for a few months first before committing
Indeed. I hope the Brighton fans are more open minded when they are signing random Japanese wingers for about £2.5m who go on to be worth about £70m

Think I would prefer either Johnstone or Casper to Sels. He was very ordinary at Newcastle. Darlow was above him.
Then he would fit right in....
I fear Forest share my own purchasing philosophy, of why spen a penny if a hapenny will do, but then you end up buying three not good enough.

5 minute walk away - but that is the house- I walk past every day whilst walking the dogs. The guy who lives there is a local business man who is currently building a new house on the corner of Mansfield Road and Kirby Road.
His name is similar to Henderson - but not the same. But if you read his private number plates on his Lambourghina and Rangerover- you might think it was him
Fair enough. I was just quoting what i had been told. Thats some place on Kirby Road though, as is the other one.

Indeed. I hope the Brighton fans are more open minded when they are signing random Japanese wingers for about £2.5m who go on to be worth about £70m
Ok, you've both missed the point here totally. My point is not taking the player, or taking a player this young. Its the fact he will not get any minutes ahead of Taiwo, Wood, and then there is this ridiculous fee for a young lad who is really yet to play any games in the Portuguese league.

Now, if he becomes second choice to Taiwo and bangs in 6-7 goals fine. But he wont, and if we sign him and spend 10m in the summer, based on training by and large, and hoping he comes good, then 10m is a hell of a risk in our position right now.

If its the 2-3m which you reference Pope, then all day long. But it isn't

Last season serge was one of the best right backs we have had in years. He was brilliant in some games. For whatever reason this season it didn't happen.

Remember the Leeds game when he came on last year. Brilliant.