January transfer window | Page 68 | Vital Football

January transfer window

and talking of recruitment, and for those already thinking we are 'safe', it is a shame the southend game isn't before the window closes, to give a gauge of where we stand against the bottom 3. we were certainly way above them during the august 4-0 home game. will be interested to see how much better than them we are on saturday, after the window has *slammed* shut.

worth noting that we were 1-1 with bolton at home until akinde came on.
0-0 against tranmere at home - and they had ten men. until akinde scored.
l see where you are coming from and feel if the right player turned up before the window closed and MA thought he was the correct fit for next season then we should act and sign and develop him over the next 4 months,hopefully not another loanee.
Remember we are still a very lightweight squad with very young loanees and a handful of sicknotes so beefing up the numbers in the squad makes sense plus one or two will disappear before Friday

Unless a recall option is exercised on any of those we have on loan very little point in bringing in any further loan players. Remember the lad Brown we had in the January window from Millwall this time last year?? Many probably not as I don't think he ever on the pitch. Same with Angol who was purely signed as a just in case. Prepare for next season and if the right player for then is available now fine as often they can come without a transfer fee in January

Thommo mentioned that this guy wouldn't divulge on who he was looking at and it was he (Thommo) that asked what he thought of Walker?

I seem to recollect that Thommo said Pompey had a loanee from B'ham who he was keeping an eye on too?
I thought it was the opposite, as in Thommo did say he wouldn't divulge who he was scouting (so can't have been the Birmingham loanee) & then proceeded to say he asked Tommo's opinion of Walker, which I thought was a bit of a giveaway.
He probably left at half-time when he found out he wasn't starting anyway

Unless a recall option is exercised on any of those we have on loan very little point in bringing in any further loan players. Remember the lad Brown we had in the January window from Millwall this time last year?? Many probably not as I don't think he ever on the pitch. Same with Angol who was purely signed as a just in case. Prepare for next season and if the right player for then is available now fine as often they can come without a transfer fee in January
That was all part of our £2.2m loss if I heard Clive correctly. I think he said we spent more in the January window because they wanted cover for every position

Angol was definitely insurance.
If one of the other forwards had been sidelined for the run in, the Lee would have featured. And if we hadn't got any replacement forward, then the promotion push could have gone awry (is that the right word?).

Aim now is very different. It's all about having just enough to maintain a midtable place. We're probably a bit light at the moment so if finances can allow for another couple of players then all well and good.
As most have said, centre back is probably the position most in need.

That whole load of loanee signings were a complete waste of resources and is a lesson learnt that we don`t again follow that wasteful method ever again as we are not a club in a financial postion to follow that strategy.
Angol Brown,Roberts,Rowe hardly put a shirt on and twiddled their thumbs in the stand for 5 months whilst counting their wages for doing sweet fa.
...............must have impressed the directors?.........and fans?.............not.
O`hara was decent and we should have signed him permanently and we failed to close the deal on a player who could have had potential.
Can`s see MA following suit?

Appleton said if he was recalled today he would have time to replace him so no panic just yet.
We also at least have two strikers.
Get the feeling he'll be bench warming.

Appleton said on the radio last night we might not sign a defender as Bostwick is expected back in 2 to 3 weeks.

If Percy is tweeting it it’s a done deal. Just hope the compo goes some way to filling the Walker shaped hole.

Players that may not have been free to leave in early Jan do become available in the last couple of days. Let’s hope someone quality pops up.