January transfer window | Page 54 | Vital Football

January transfer window

He went and he went in the right way.

Gareth McAuley went for nothing
Jamie McCombe went for virtually nothing

We have sold 3 players who were all able to walk for nothing at the end of the year for an amount of money that will probably cover our losses this year or at least make a big dent.

Great work

I am worried about Walker in particular and would like to see another forward option brought in. If the Akinde rumours also resurface that will be even more important. Other than that I'm ok we'll be comfortable this season with a war chest for Mapp in the summer.

He went and he went in the right way.

Gareth McAuley went for nothing
Jamie McCombe went for virtually nothing

We have sold 3 players who were all able to walk for nothing at the end of the year for an amount of money that will probably cover our losses this year or at least make a big dent.

Great work
100% agree with this.

Good luck to him, (Toff) great young player with a good work ethic and good attitude. Sorry to see him go, but I feel a new chapter starting under MA. UTI !

Walker is 23/24 and forest have been farming him out for quite a while now, at his age he should be starting at this level, if he's not ready to play for them now he never will be imho.
It's not like he's an untried teenager like John Jules is it?
Reckon forest are more likely to cash in than play in their first team.

I am worried about Walker in particular and would like to see another forward option brought in. If the Akinde rumours also resurface that will be even more important. Other than that I'm ok we'll be comfortable this season with a war chest for Mapp in the summer.

Although, MA has referenced/implied that if Walker were to return we would have to agree to it, which you’ve got to figure we’d not do. Unless of course MA thinks he can find a better replacement.

Don’t worry this is all part of the master plan

In approx 2.5 years Appleton will be appointed Man U manager after getting us to the championship

The Cowleys will come home with Walker and Toffolo as free transfer perm signings after giving us approx £2m in compo and transfer fees to get us to the championship.

The council will have founded a 20k world class stadium with room for expansion.

Premiership in 5 years

MA must think we've got enough in the squad to be able to allow MoC, BA and TF to leave. They've been three pretty key players for us. I'm not sure whether we'd have let all three go if results hadn't picked up as they have done?

On the plus side, it probably accelerates MA's squad building and gives the Club a better idea where they're going to be budget wise next season.

Although, MA has referenced/implied that if Walker were to return we would have to agree to it, which you’ve got to figure we’d not do. Unless of course MA thinks he can find a better replacement.
he is a forest player. and they are playing at a higher level. and they are his hometown club. and his dad played for them. and they might have half a shot at promotion to the premier. walker's dream right now is presumably to play for forest. if they wanted to recall him to play for them, and we blocked that, he would quite rightly be a bit miffed. and that would most likely affect his performances for the rest of the season with us.

i prefer to think that appleton already has targets lined up in the event that walker [or morrell; or even hesketh] goes back. and replacement options if akinde is sold.

MA must think we've got enough in the squad to be able to allow MoC, BA and TF to leave. They've been three pretty key players for us. I'm not sure whether we'd have let all three go if results hadn't picked up as they have done?

On the plus side, it probably accelerates MA's squad building and gives the Club a better idea where they're going to be budget wise next season.
TF?

Have already thanked and wished Harry Toffolo all the best in his thread. Related to that is the question of the fee. I’m not particularly interested (well I am, but understand the secrecy). What concerns me more is the potential size of the fees we get for our players these days, particularly the good ones. We are now a League 1 club, not a non-league or L2 club. When you look at the fees paid by other clubs for some of their players, and the fees demanded by the likes of Posh, I hope we are now demanding realistic fees and not cut-price ones. After all, we are looking to build and push on to the Championship and you can bet your bottom dollar we won’t be paying under half a million for quality, established players who are reliable when we are trading players for that level. Personally, I think we should now be looking to trade such players for a million plus. Just a thought.

What a weird transfer window!
A player who spoke of wanting to play in the championship has dropped a division to join Salford.
A player who stated his desire to retire at Lincoln leaves 2 weeks later.
And now a player who implied that the previous manager had lost his focus, has left to join his previous manager.

I understand their moves and wish them luck, but maybe we should ask Ben Coker to publicly declare that he won't be joining Real Madrid in a £50 million pound deal?

I hope we are now demanding realistic fees and not cut-price ones

I'm sure those responsible for that are.

There is a balancing act because short contracts, which make a lot of sense when controlling expenditure, are not conducive to getting big fees. You need around two years or more left on a player's contract to get the megabucks.

I'm actually astonished the club has done so well from a selling p.o.v. in this window. When the values of Andrade and Toffolo were brought up I said several times that they would be either low or nothing because they were (as far as we knew) free agents in the summer and could therefore have better deals negotiated for them personally.

SInce then it seems to be the case that Toffolo would have had an automatic one year extension, but nevertheless to get over a half a million for those two in the circumstances is a fantastic result.

The other side of playing hardball over fees is the possibility of denying promising players the chance of improving their careers. That's not something a club of Lincoln's size should be doing if it wants to attract players of potential.

What a weird transfer window!
A player who spoke of wanting to play in the championship has dropped a division to join Salford.
A player who stated his desire to retire at Lincoln leaves 2 weeks later.
And now a player who implied that the previous manager had lost his focus, has left to join his previous manager.

I understand their moves and wish them luck, but maybe we should ask Ben Coker to publicly declare that he won't be joining Real Madrid in a £50 million pound deal?
Blimey If they offered £50 mill then Clive should let him go 😀

Whose quote?

Mine. Listen to his interviews towards the end of last season. Can‘t remember the exact wording but it was along the lines of ‘I’m not going up to consolidate, I know where I’m going’ etc.

And then he left, just after the start of the season when we all thought he’d not.

Last edited: