January Transfer Window | Vital Football

January Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to sell him in January. He will not sign another contract and will go for nothing in the summer so to follow the model he needs to be sold in January

It's not a question of need to sell him. If he stays and we do well who knows what the future holds. Honestly I'd rather he stayed, we do well and move up the table and see what happens come the summer. If he leaves on a free so be it. It will be with the best wishes of every supporter. You never know his best Championship option come August might be very close to home!!!!!

It’s all about what’s best for club. Don’t want to sell him and wouldn’t want to sell him cheap. But with his contract situation if a decent offer comes in Jan we’d have to take it. If that money could then be used to get Diamond or Virtue on a permanent I would be delighted.

If he goes isn't about time we stopped selling our best/better players ?

No - the model is that we sign players, develop them, and sell them on. That will always be the case whilst we don’t have a bottomless pit of money.

Having said that, I would be surprised if he left without a natural right back (or right wing-back) coming in. If he does go, it’s all about the timing.

As others have alluded to above, if in January we’re within touching distance of the play offs, I wouldn’t be surprised if we take a chance by keeping him and getting nowt in the summer.

Then again, if he loves it here and is happy to give it at least one more year following a fairly successful season, who knows…

It's not a question of need to sell him. If he stays and we do well who knows what the future holds. Honestly I'd rather he stayed, we do well and move up the table and see what happens come the summer. If he leaves on a free so be it. It will be with the best wishes of every supporter. You never know his best Championship option come August might be very close to home!!!!!

If he wants to stay, I am sure there will be a contract for him to sign before January.

If not, the best out come would be for Poole to get a decent move and the club a decent fee.

Chances of Poole staying and taking us into the Championship this season...

are very similar to

Lewis Montsma returning and taking us to the Championship this season.

Neither high but both possible.

Only difference is one leaves us a lot better positioned to invest in the squad than the other.

Last edited:
Good news if true. Hopefully having a few interested parties will lessen the impact of his contract situation on his value. If we can get a few more points between us and the bottom 4 then it would be a good time to sell.

Personally I would love Regan to stay as he’s an outstanding player - my view of him from day 1 when he arrived. Not sure waiting to see if we make the POs is an option as I honestly am not sure we’re ready for the Championship just yet, depending on who comes in with the January window. There are also so many unknown factors in a potential move for Regan (including his age -24 - and ambition - if he wants to step up to top end Championship/Premiership and putting himself in the window for Wales selection). In that case might be better to follow the club’s strategy and get as much as we can for him (reluctantly) for a replacement.

I can’t imagine we would get more than mid 5 figures given he is a free agent a few months later. For all we know he may have already lined something up in the summer. I think given this, he is best value for us by being in the team until he is out of contract. Also knowing our luck the first match without him one of the other defenders breaks down. Perhaps if they can find a replacement then perhaps yes if not I would resist selling him

..... well I hope you're talking about my home :lol:. Imps 4ever

I can’t imagine we would get more than mid 5 figures given he is a free agent a few months later. For all we know he may have already lined something up in the summer. I think given this, he is best value for us by being in the team until he is out of contract. Also knowing our luck the first match without him one of the other defenders breaks down. Perhaps if they can find a replacement then perhaps yes if not I would resist selling him
No point even selling him for £50k, might as well keep him here and lose him on a free at the end of the season (which is a bizarre thing to say given that £50k used to be a "SELL! SELL!, SELL!" figure.

The club will have already been talking to him or his representatives and any other players who are out of contract in the summer. They will have a good idea of his intentions. If he doesn't want a to sign a new contract then as per the model we should sell him in January. It sounds like more than one championship club are interested in him which should create a reasonable fee.
After last seasons heroics at centre back I think all of us couldn't have envisaged him playing anywhere else in the team. However in our best performance of the season against Plymouth and our recent long overdue home win against Morecambe he played at right wing back. A combination of O'connor, Jackson, Walsh and Eyoma performed well in those games at the back and with Montsma due back we are well covered in central defence. I think even if Poole stayed we will still be looking to sign a right back in January.
If we sell him it isn't about lack of ambition it is about the real world financially.
We are boxing above are weight and these decisions have to be made from the head not the heart.
Plus he owes us nothing and deserves a crack at the championship while still young enough to progress in the game.

Yep we know our proposed model and if the option is to leave for nothing in the summer or get a good fee in January it’s a fair decision to let him go. I don’t agree that we are punching above our weight now though. We are an established League One club with a fantastic board that have delivered an annual competitive mid table budget and our attendances are ranked half way in the league numbers chart. Historically we are a league higher than our ‘ normal’ position but here and now anything less than mid table is under achieving and the Championship within our means and current model is the target thanks to Clive and his fellow investors.
Selling Poole for less than £100k is hardly worth it if keeping him makes us better to the tune of 6 to 10 points or so. It’s the difference between flirting with relegation and flirting with the playoffs.

We also have Jay Benn here, though he seems to have gone missing. Any update on his injury?
He looked decent against Barnsley reserves in his one game I’ve seen him play but sadly for him always seems injured at the moment. In a similar reasoning Jordan Wright has looked ok in his Papa John outings but he is a long way short of what Rushworth offers as a comparison.

I would expect that one or two of our fringe players will be unloaded. Davenport,whose contract expires shortly anyway,plus Benn are those that come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.