January Transfer Rumours | Page 12 | Vital Football

January Transfer Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing too much in Skubala's post match interview but still working on things. Suggested again he'd like some more experience in the side and also mentioned Reeco type wingers.

Adelakun completely out of the squad now we’ve got a few more available
But hasn't that been the crux of it all?

We have had to play what is essentially our reserve side due to so many players being absent - and suffered accordingly.

Playing such as Adalakun and Makama out of necessity, not out of choice.

With the opportunities presented by January and the return of Reeco, options are improved and, hopefully, performances will improve too.

Hopefully, MS can have the team achieve better results rather than what has possibly been damage limitation.

I was having a bit of a think for the second half of the transfer window and for me, I think the following will, or MS would like, to happen.

Brown and Adelakun departing (whether or not we choose as a Club to send Makama out on loan and come to an agreement with Kendall I'm not sure - depends how much Dagenham are paying towards his wages I suppose).

It sounds as though he'd like a pacey winger through the door, which makes sense but I think a CM is probably on the list as well. I do wonder about the FB/WB areas, especially the left hand side.

Finally, he speaks of that 26/27 year old experience and the area where we're the least experienced is in the final third but the cost of the top end of the pitch within those parameters is going to be big whether it's a long or short term thing so I'm not sure that'd be feasible.

Finally, he speaks of that 26/27 year old experience and the area where we're the least experienced is in the final third but the cost of the top end of the pitch within those parameters is going to be big whether it's a long or short term thing so I'm not sure that'd be feasible.
It also starts to sound a bit like John Marquis or something. We did that in Jan when were struggling a bit and didn't really work then either.

I guess you could get a Reeco Hackett type character (who would be in that age band 26/27 and I think we were looking at last Jan). He doesn't really feel like 'experienced' to me but I guess he at least has games under his belt and he's not going to be ludicrously expensive.

I don't know if you get in to that type of player I'd rather we were just focusing on very good than them being in their mid 20s. Else can I interest you in a 27 year old winger with 170+ apps at L1 level who has scored 4 goals this season and previously earned a Championship move.

Last edited:
Is this a guess the player quiz?!
Ha! No I just thought the profile of player we want to add apparently (26/27 forward player, poss winger now we've added a bunch of strikers, with L1 games under belt) sounded a lot like Hakeeb Adelakun.

What makes it difficult at the moment when trying to fathom which positions for potential signings is that we can't quite see yet what system Skubala, Shaw and Cohen are giving as a framework. No doubt they know what they're trying to evolve to, so in time all will become clear..!

Matty Virtue is 26 and out of contract in the summer after Blackpool triggered his extension at th end of last season. Plenty of "experience" and one we were very interested in signing permanently before. Not played too much for them this season but would be a strong addition and add competition for places.

It also starts to sound a bit like John Marquis or something. We did that in Jan when were struggling a bit and didn't really work then either.

I guess you could get a Reeco Hackett type character (who would be in that age band 26/27 and I think we were looking at last Jan). He doesn't really feel like 'experienced' to me but I guess he at least has games under his belt and he's not going to be ludicrously expensive.

I don't know if you get in to that type of player I'd rather we were just focusing on very good than them being in their mid 20s. Else can I interest you in a 27 year old winger with 170+ apps at L1 level who has scored 4 goals this season and previously earned a Championship move.
it didn’t really work with marquis. but that is a sample of one.
we have swapped vale and makama for two more unproven youngsters - at this level - in the central striker area. it might work with these two, i guess we will have more evidence by the end of the window.

The drawing down of investment from the holding company is interesting: Kieran Maguire suggested it was to cover a delay in Premier League funding, but is it to spend on a Marquis?

If we were going to get another loan striker in, then I would suggest we wouldn't have recalled Draper from Walsall, Taylor, Moylan, Makama, Hackett at a pinch and A.N.Other should be plenty I would have thought, even playing 2 up top...

If we were going to get another loan striker in, then I would suggest we wouldn't have recalled Draper from Walsall, Taylor, Moylan, Makama, Hackett at a pinch and A.N.Other should be plenty I would have thought, even playing 2 up top...
We started the season with Walker, house, (both proven strikers at this level), makama and Hackett at a pinch. Playing one up top.

imo makama should be loaned to see if he can develop at a slightly lower level (Ireland? Interesting if a league two team would take him?)
saturday showed having options off the bench can make a difference. And required all four of Taylor, draper, makama and moylan. All inexperienced.
a better balance for me would be taylor draper moylan and a.n. other - with some experience and maybe a few goals at this level.

not an easy task to find a.n. of course, and appreciate it has cost implications.

From reading between the lines, he seems to want an experienced defensive midfielder with Erhahon playing a bit further forward and Hamilton as an 8.

Where that leaves Mandroiu and even Moylan I don’t know. We would hardly bring in a new experienced player just as cover.

To me the more urgent positions are left wing back and a young winger. Sending Brown and Adulakun out on loan, if anyone wants them that is, would free up some salary space.

What makes it difficult at the moment when trying to fathom which positions for potential signings is that we can't quite see yet what system Skubala, Shaw and Cohen are giving as a framework. No doubt they know what they're trying to evolve to, so in time all will become clear..!
I agree with this, I'm finding it hard to even speculate. I'm not sure whether Saturday was horses for courses against a direct Wycombe team more than anything but with the strikers we now have available, working out where Hackett/Mandroiu fit seems quite hard to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.