January Signings | Vital Football

January Signings

Chronic

Vital Football Hero
God knows just how hopeless we'll be, but this looks like a window where planning for relegation is important, while trying to sign players who'll give us some chance of survival. Wilder couldn't complain at having nothing to spend, but I hope he's given the chance to do what's needed, as surely he's learned from mistakes at this point.

A few possibilities/suggestions here...

Dean Henderson - Could we....? Should we? Imagine that....

Defenders

Jake Cooper
Ben Davies
Marcos Rojo
Christian Kabasele
Omar Colley
Moussa Niakhate
Japhet Tanganga
Luke Woolfenden
Danny Rose

Midfielders

Ben Pearson
Calum Chambers
Daniel Johnson
Jed Wallace
Junior Sambia
Olivier Ntcham
Pierre Kunde
Joe Rothwell
Tom Davies
Viktor Kovalenko
Sebastian Vasiliadis

Forwards

Bruno Petkovic
Michael Gregoritsch
Roman Yaremchuk

Three centre forwards there who would all be a big technical and physical upgrade on McBurnie and possibly gettable on manageable terms with relegation in mind, with all of them likely to jump at the chance to play in the PL.

Loans with substantial fees that become permanent upon survival or permanent transfers with low relegation release clauses could be the way to go with many of these.

Preparing for the Championship is something we must have in mind, it would be negligent not to. This is where the out of contract Preston players are extremely interesting - Davies, Pearson and Johnson. All offer things we need or could need. All would be jump at the chance of joining us. Pearson in particular is a must sign for me, he would replace Norwood and ensure this team retains the bite and hunger needed to bounce back.

Add your own suggestions...... I'm sure we couldn't possibly do worse than Wilder, 'Mitch' and co have done in the big league!

The January transfer will be an indicator of the Princes mindset, probably the news that it will be loans not permanent signings already does. Wilder has already said we have spoke to agents and clubs and wants deals done as soon as the window opens. Presumably he will present his wish list to the board and they will say yes or no. I suspect the results through December will have a bearing on the boards decision.

The January transfer will be an indicator of the Princes mindset, probably the news that it will be loans not permanent signings already does. Wilder has already said we have spoke to agents and clubs and wants deals done as soon as the window opens. Presumably he will present his wish list to the board and they will say yes or no. I suspect the results through December will have a bearing on the boards decision.
The Prince is being linked with buying yet another club(it'd be his 5th club),this time in France,La Berrichone De Chateauroux currently in Ligue 2.UTMPB

Last edited:
I think we have 2 area's of absolute priority. A left footed tall but mobile JOC replacement but must be someone with good technique. Secondly we need more creativity in that midfield asap. Someone that can carry and drive the ball forwards. Good technique again is a most.

Our strikers are getting all the stick but most of the time they recieve the ball with their backs to goal, hoofed up to them.

We dont have much money so we need to not to spread it too thinly.

A JOC replacement and Creative midfielder.

The goals will come with better service and when we stop conceding 70% possesion. Please no one quote the WBA game that was a complete one off, in terms of chances missed.

Signing Ben Davies on a pre contract would be canny piece of business, as would the other two PNE lads in truth.

Buy Cooper, recall Freeman, loan a midfielder and a forward. Jobs a good un. I suspect the summer transfer window as we shape up for the Championship will be much more important.

Signing Ben Davies on a pre contract would be canny piece of business, as would the other two PNE lads in truth.

Buy Cooper, recall Freeman, loan a midfielder and a forward. Jobs a good un. I suspect the summer transfer window as we shape up for the Championship will be much more important.
There's a rumour on the News Now pages saying that we're still interested in Omar Colley and that he would prefer a move to the Premiership(Blades) rather than Turkey and that he has a connection with Sander Berge.UTMPB

Thoughts on the defenders...

Jake Cooper - Would be a great signing to ensure we're strong next season regardless of who we lose. Would also massively increase our set piece threat, and general aerial presence.

Ben Davies - Very convenient alternative to Cooper as a LCB option, with his contract expiring.

Marcos Rojo - Might not be viable but he's the sort of calibre who'd give us a major quality and confidence boost - at LCB or LWB.

Christian Kabasele - Might not be left footed, might not even want to leave Watford now, but he's an excellent defender and athlete who is too good for the Championship. Put him anywhere in our defence and he'd improve it significantly.

Omar Colley - We were linked in the summer and currently seems out of favour at Sampdoria. Left footed, powerful CB.

Moussa Niakhate - An optimistic one given our position, but he's a really impressive all round LCB and Mainz could need to sell.

Japhet Tanganga - A possible loan. Highly rated at Spurs but has dropped down the pecking order with the new arrivals. Versatile, athletic, and can play all across the defence.

Luke Woolfenden - Would be better cover than what we have, and good forward planning. Also appears quite versatile.

Danny Rose - Don't like him, but if he's available on loan he'd undoubtedly boost our left side a lot. You could argue we're as desperate at LWB as we are at LCB. We offer no threat at all down that side. We need to change that.

Last edited:
There's a rumour on the News Now pages saying that we're still interested in Omar Colley and that he would prefer a move to the Premiership(Blades) rather than Turkey and that he has a connection with Sander Berge.UTMPB

He played with Berge at Genk.

I remember talking to you about him in September. Since then he's slipped down the Samp pecking order to about 4th or 5th choice. Yoshida who played for Southampton is a starter if that's any indicator.

I'm leaning on the side of this being more about Colley's agent trying to drum up interest rather than genuine United interest.

The midfielders......

Ben Pearson - Really stands out and appeals at this point. We've been rumoured to be interested previously. Very good chance we will be again, especially with the contract situation - we've exploited these situations before. When looking to freshen up a relegated team, it doesn't get much better than doing so in the middle of the pitch, with a determined, ultra competitive player who also happens to have a great deal of footballing ability. I don't want us to gamble next season on Norwood performing as he did previously.

Calum Chambers - Just come back from a long term injury. Surely ripe for a loan in January. Would be an excellent player for us, playing in midfield but also able to cover anywhere in the back 3. Proven player with quality and flexibility who could allow us to switch between formations during games.

Daniel Johnson - Very good left footed attacking midfielder who could also play the Fleck role. Consistently productive with goals and assists. Has become a top Championship player. Also out of contract - it's a great opportunity to get a player who could be a massive addition next season.

Jed Wallace - Wilder's a known admirer. If available for the right money, would be a smart signing. Bright, energetic, creative player who could split the RCM/number 10 role very nicely, and cover RWB - useful should we lose Baldock or Bogle.

Junior Sambia - Montpellier CM currently playing RB, and doing well. A good all round athlete, comfortable in possession and has a good cross on him. Looks a good fit for our RCM role.

Olivier Ntcham - Seems he could on the way out at Celtic. Another who could suit the RCM role, and add creativity.

Pierre Kunde - Very attainable. Would improve our physicality and technique in midfield, playing RCM or CM. He's a bit like a right footed Fleck, but more powerful. Would add drive, creativity and a long range shooting threat.

Joe Rothwell - Blackburn attacking midfielder with electric pace with the ball. Versatile and runs at defenders from all angles, has good technique and can pick a pass. Would be a good sub for us at the least, and a good development player. Maybe another one for next season.

Tom Davies - Not massively keen on him but he might be quite a convenient, attainable loan for the RCM position.

Viktor Kovalenko - Ukranian midfielder at Shakhtar. Appears to be in the last year of his contract. In and out of their team. Would probably take a PL move, on the right terms. Good physical specimen, comfortable on the ball and can score. One who could play RCM and give us a genuine AM option too.

Sebastian Vasiliadis - Greek-German CM, still at Paderborn, mid table in Bundesliga 2. Not the most attack minded, but a very good, solid, dynamic all rounder who can carry the ball. Would suit us. Could be a really good one to pick up.

A player who I think would be worth a look is Peter Etebo. His season loan to Galatasaray hasn't worked out and is set to be cancelled. At his bet he's a high energy box to box midfielder with technical ability and good work rate. He impressed me in a poor Stoke side and looked a cut above in the Championship.

Etebo needs a career resuscitation, and we need a right sided player with his qualities.

Hamza Choudhury - How about him? Hadn't really thought of him as a possibility this season but he isn't near Leicester's team, doesn't seem to fit in there and needs to get playing regularly. Yes he's a more defensive midfielder but he'd bring our midfield up a level or two quality and athleticism wise, and add a lot more drive and ball winning ability, not to mention that nasty streak we could do with. He'd indirectly improve us offensively. He's capable of making the sort of impact needed.

It sounds like Wilder has already been given his budget for the JTW.

It is never an easy time to buy or sell players but can we generate more money through sales or improve our team with deals.

Is it a time to cut our losses and rebuild ?. A January sale.

Lundstram £5 million or a straight swap for Glen Kamara

Rodwell: Free transfer get him off the wage bill.

Jags: Free transfer get him off the wage bill

Max Lowe: Use as part of a deal for Rico Henry

Ollie Norwood: £5 million or use as part of a deal for Osayi Samuel

Lys Mossett £5 million: To a club in France near to where he lives. I know he is worth more but he never plays and is stealing a wage.

It sounds like Wilder has already been given his budget for the JTW.

It is never an easy time to buy or sell players but can we generate more money through sales or improve our team with deals.

Is it a time to cut our losses and rebuild ?. A January sale.

Lundstram £5 million or a straight swap for Glen Kamara

Rodwell: Free transfer get him off the wage bill.

Jags: Free transfer get him off the wage bill

Max Lowe: Use as part of a deal for Rico Henry

Ollie Norwood: £5 million or use as part of a deal for Osayi Samuel

Lys Mossett £5 million: To a club in France near to where he lives. I know he is worth more but he never plays and is stealing a wage.
Or we could let CW decide? I've no idea hwo we could rebuild in a few weeks in January. That is better done in June IMO.

If we take Wilder at his word, he could be throwing a curve ball who knows, but he's said loans no permanent. Nothing wrong with speculating who and what we want, personally I think it will be underwhelming. Maybe if results improve the board might loosen the purse strings, if they don't I can see the headline "we go with what we have". Why spend money you can use in the summer window makes sense to me.

If we take Wilder at his word, he could be throwing a curve ball who knows, but he's said loans no permanent. Nothing wrong with speculating who and what we want, personally I think it will be underwhelming. Maybe if results improve the board might loosen the purse strings, if they don't I can see the headline "we go with what we have". Why spend money you can use in the summer window makes sense to me.
Of course I'm underwhelmed and I have one question....is the Prinve our man?

Or we could let CW decide? I've no idea hwo we could rebuild in a few weeks in January. That is better done in June IMO.
We need to at least start rebuilding in January. The sooner the better. Of course Wilder will decide but if we are not allowed an opinion we may as well shut the forum down ?.

We need to at least start rebuilding in January. The sooner the better. Of course Wilder will decide but if we are not allowed an opinion we may as well shut the forum down ?.
Who said you couldn't have your opinion BfL? Keep it going but don't be put off by disagreements from time to time mate.

Of course I'm underwhelmed and I have one question....is the Prinve our man?

At this moment in time the Prince is what we have, we didn't have a say in the matter so it's irrelevant if he's our man or not.
He's backed Wilder to the hilt that's clear, did he use his own money, definitely not, he used the premier/sky/bt money as any owner would have. Our problem is he isn't a billionaire, can he attract further investment who knows, if relegation comes to pass it will be more difficult.
Fans continue to cry for more money to be spent, increase the wage cap, go for it. The financial security of the club is my main concern, that it is not put at risk, if that means a step back then so be it. I await the balance sheet with a slight worry, it will certainly be affected by the Coronavirus, but also by the mortgage taken by "our man".

Shit or bust not for me.

Will Wilder decide? I think the board will and rightly so.

He played with Berge at Genk.

I remember talking to you about him in September. Since then he's slipped down the Samp pecking order to about 4th or 5th choice. Yoshida who played for Southampton is a starter if that's any indicator.

I'm leaning on the side of this being more about Colley's agent trying to drum up interest rather than genuine United interest.
Do ya think Agents would do this sort of thing then Raumy? UTMPB