Jan Transfer Window | Page 9 | Vital Football

Jan Transfer Window

The latest from this mornings Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/2291761/2020/12/30/forest-knockaert-fulham-january/?source=ukdailyemail

Knochaert wants to stay;

“I feel really good here and if I can stay until the end of the season, I will do. I will see what the two clubs have to say,” said Knockaert. “Saturday (away at Preston North End) is currently the last game of my loan spell. I have to speak to both clubs and see what they say. I do not know what is going to happen.”

Hughton wants him to stay:

“His performance was good,” added Hughton. “With Anthony, it is about seeing more of that and more of that kind of consistency. He got into really good areas and that is what he can do. Sometimes, it can take a player a while to get into his rhythm at a club.

“The impact he has made around the place has been good. He is a good player. He is at a good level. Everyone knows that. He is a good character.”

This is the reason many Forest fans had been slightly apathetic when it comes to whether the club can agree a deal with Fulham to extend his stay because, like the team as a whole, he is yet to produce anything like his best — at least not with any degree of consistency.

“With regards to his impact in games, it is similar to what we have seen in other areas: quite up and down,” said Hughton. “With regards to assists and goals, we have probably not got what we would have liked. He is no different to other players in that he has had good moments and also areas where we would have liked to have seen a little bit better.

“There is definitely more to come from him because of the level of player he is. He is a quality player and we want to keep quality players around the place. I do feel there is more to come from Anthony.”

Grosicki latest:

“He is somebody who is still very much on our radar,” says Hughton. “He is on our minds but he is not our player and any decisions will be about whether he is available or not. That we do not know. We do not know if the change in manager (Sam Allardyce replacing Slaven Bilic at The Hawthorns) has changed the situation for him. He is not a player who has been frozen out there. He has been involved.”

Personally, I think we should run a competition, something along the lines of "The best excuse Grosicki comes out with when he fails to turn up for the signing"

Freeman latest:

“The situation with Luke is a bit different. He has been involved at times when he was carrying this problem,” said Hughton. “We hope he will be back training in the next two weeks. He is feeling really good — and it will be an opportunity for him to kick-start again here.

Hughton went on to highlight two exiting targets we are very close to signing; unfortunately this information is behind the pay wall and can only be accessed by subscribers.

Alternatively, you can PM Adebola Cornflakes for the inside gossip.

Nottingham Forest are expecting an offer from Burnley for Joe Worrall, according to Sarah Clapson.

Speaking to Nottinghamshire Live, Clapson said: “I think Forest will have their resolve tested by Burnley.

“Worrall wants to get Forest in the Premier League and captain them for the long-term.

“We’ve seen with Matty Cash that it’s very hard to turn down big money. Worrall wants to test himself as high as he can so it’s a really difficult one. I’d like to think he’ll stay but anything could happen.”

We've a brilliant 23 year potential Wes Morgan, and instead of letting him keep the Captains armband, we give it to a player who's never been a captain
facepalm.gif

Makes me wonder if Hughton's a fuckwit, or if his hand is being forced by the top brass.

Either way the one thing I'm sure of is that Joe should be captain. Whoever is standing in the way of that - Hughton, Vrentroz, EM - I want out the club. This is Morgan MK2 waiting to happen.

I think too much is being read into who is Captain.

Every manager we have had has mentioned how influential Grabban is around the place - in training, in the dressing room and by leading by example - and he is a senior pro at the Club.

Alternatively, Joe is a young kid, making his way in the game, who's first priority is to play well and do his own job.

There is no question about his willingness to take responsibility, both for his own actions and for those around him, and that is a tremendous characteristic to have.

I doubt if not being Captain seriously bothers Joe; he plays his game and is still very vocal and animated during games; he is Captain in all but name

Ideally, you want 11 players in a side of Captain potential; the more players with strong characters taking responsibility the better.

But again definitely not a failure of recruitment lol

A lot of people talk as though recruitment is an exact science; it is anything but.

Ioannou is a good player; has either had problems settling in Nottingham or is not prepared to fight for his place.

This presents the Club with a very good opportunity; there is one less player in Danny Preston's way now; that could well help convince him to stay at the Club.

Danny has been putting in very good performances at Grimsby and is building up a large fan club.

its isnt just recruitment of bad players, its recruitment that is miles away from the type of players that the managers we sign can get the best out of. Its not as if Ioanou or carvalho or the current Spanish lad dont have talent, they seem to me to have more talent than most of our home grown players; but to play them 3 or 4 times and then cast them aside is a just total shit on all fronts. A good attack minded manager would have a good side that included those 4 or 5 players.

I claim the number one spot for slagging off our shit managers, they really have all been garbage for 20 years, hardly any of them have done a single thing after leaving us, mostly dour, defensive, boring shits that play holding midfielders zzz fook off. Maybe Pearce was the last gung ho guy and that WAS great till we suffered injuries. If I hear the next manager mention the words holding Im gonna call for his head from day one. Now we got CH who likes 3 of em, after SL who liked 2 of EM lol.

To be honest, I thought Ioannou looked quite useful in his first game. As well as the quality, we just signed too many players. Most of them were even for the same positions ! Even with eleven starters, nine subs and injuries, some of our players still aren't getting a look in. Even the top teams only have 25 players plus youngsters.

The overall state of the squad is a lot better than some people give credit for.

We currently have 33 players registered, 4 of whom are loans, we have 1 loan out, which excludes the likes of Johnson, we have a bomb squad of 2 both of whom have contracts until June.

That leaves a current first team squad of 27.

Of those 27, 3 are rumoured to be going in next Month, 7 are what I would class as homegrown or young players some of whom will have significant sell on value (Worrall, Mighten, McKenna, Yates, Soh, Carvalho and Smith), of the rest, 8 are out of contract in June, 7 the following June and 4 in 2023

That is a considerable improvement from the days when we had 40 to 45 players on the books.

All they need to do now is start to play a bit.

I've maintained for a while now that this squad is better, on paper, than what we've had for a while but the glaring issues are the imbalances with overstocking in certain positions.

Hopefully, even Hef & Clough will go on loan this January - they need to, to be able to give themselves the best chance of a new club in the summer.

Darikwa is rumoured to have a new club sorted.

Offloading the likes of Iannou, Guerero, Diallo & Bachirou would not hurt us.

Don't be shocked to see interest resurface in Ribeiro & Figgy!!!

The wage saving, without any sales, will easily allow Knocky's loan to be extended, assuming Fulham are happy with that!

Nottingham Forest are expecting an offer from Burnley for Joe Worrall, according to Sarah Clapson.

Speaking to Nottinghamshire Live, Clapson said: “I think Forest will have their resolve tested by Burnley.

“Worrall wants to get Forest in the Premier League and captain them for the long-term.

“We’ve seen with Matty Cash that it’s very hard to turn down big money. Worrall wants to test himself as high as he can so it’s a really difficult one. I’d like to think he’ll stay but anything could happen.”

We've a brilliant 23 year potential Wes Morgan, and instead of letting him keep the Captains armband, we give it to a player who's never been a captain
facepalm.gif

Makes me wonder if Hughton's a fuckwit, or if his hand is being forced by the top brass.

Either way the one thing I'm sure of is that Joe should be captain. Whoever is standing in the way of that - Hughton, Vrentroz, EM - I want out the club. This is Morgan MK2 waiting to happen.

What if giving Grabban the armband is a way of showing that we want him & want to keep him beyond the summer, I've heard discussions are underway with regard to extending his contract.

Grabban had an offer from Qatar - so, we let him go for nowt this summer, extend his contract or get a little back - the difficulty then comes in replacing him.

A lot of people talk as though recruitment is an exact science; it is anything but.

Ioannou is a good player; has either had problems settling in Nottingham or is not prepared to fight for his place.

This presents the Club with a very good opportunity; there is one less player in Danny Preston's way now; that could well help convince him to stay at the Club.

Danny has been putting in very good performances at Grimsby and is building up a large fan club.

Same for Gabriel.

Iannou is a young lad, essentially isolated here in Nottingham, but notably not playing - which is something he isn't used to. Had Yuri gone, then he would not have been so far behind the others, but when Bong gets a squad pace ahead of him - the writing is on the wall.

The money is not really an issue for him, he wants to play and he is driving the move.... apparently!

To be honest, I thought Ioannou looked quite useful in his first game. As well as the quality, we just signed too many players. Most of them were even for the same positions ! Even with eleven starters, nine subs and injuries, some of our players still aren't getting a look in. Even the top teams only have 25 players plus youngsters.

Situations change - i.e. sacking Sabri, who had bombed out Bong and had told Yuri he was free to leave.

Iannou & Blackett were signed for left back - we now have 4!

It's the frequency of busted flushes that disturb me. The number of players unhappy at the club over the last couple of seasons feels high.

Situations change - i.e. sacking Sabri, who had bombed out Bong and had told Yuri he was free to leave.

Iannou & Blackett were signed for left back - we now have 4!

And six defensive midfielders and probably the same for wingers! Lyle Taylor still seems more like a hard working wide player than decent striker to me. Isn't Grosicki another winger ?

Whatever else happens we need to break with tradition and get a goal scoring striker in somehow. Take a punt, splash some decent money, whatever way they go they need to do something.

Woodrow from Barnsley wouldn’t be a bad shout but I am sure there are plenty of others out there.

What if giving Grabban the armband is a way of showing that we want him & want to keep him beyond the summer, I've heard discussions are underway with regard to extending his contract.

Grabban had an offer from Qatar - so, we let him go for nowt this summer, extend his contract or get a little back - the difficulty then comes in replacing him.

Then it's stupid.

Grabban already had his head turned by Sab, 33 in a few weeks, and seems to be on the decline. Whereas Worrall genuinely wants to captain us to the Prem, and isn't looking for one last big payday either.

Replacing the past 2 seasons Grabban would be difficult. Replacing the one we have now less so. Replacing Worrall, who is potentially the next Morgan, far harder.

We want fucking if giving Grabs the armband is an attempt to keep him here. What's the plan, to charge for Prem promotion next season with a 34 year old leading the line for half a season?

Grabs is history, Worrall is the future.

I think too much is being read into who is Captain.

Every manager we have had has mentioned how influential Grabban is around the place - in training, in the dressing room and by leading by example - and he is a senior pro at the Club.

Alternatively, Joe is a young kid, making his way in the game, who's first priority is to play well and do his own job.

There is no question about his willingness to take responsibility, both for his own actions and for those around him, and that is a tremendous characteristic to have.

I doubt if not being Captain seriously bothers Joe; he plays his game and is still very vocal and animated during games; he is Captain in all but name

Ideally, you want 11 players in a side of Captain potential; the more players with strong characters taking responsibility the better.

Totally disagree. I think a strong captain is core to every good side. Hence why we had our best seasons with the likes of McKenna & Dawson with the arm band.

You may have also noticed a chap called Stuart Pearce at some point.

Yeah you want other leaders out there, but the man who hold the armband needs to embody what the club should be.

it's these very fundamental basic mistakes that the club keeps getting wrong. And whoever is responsible for such decisions wants sacking asap, before they flush our club back down the shitter to L1 again.

Totally disagree. I think a strong captain is core to every good side. Hence why we had our best seasons with the likes of McKenna & Dawson with the arm band.
I think the Captain role is very overblown.

You need people who are vocal on the pitch, who are organisers and who the rest of the squad have huge respect for. People that can shout at the other players and demand standards, and who the other players don't want to let down.

The armband is just a bit of cloth. It doesn't imbue a player with those qualities and the absence of it doesn't dull them in a player who has those attributes.

I was hoping to see that from Arter, but we haven't yet. You do see it from Dawson, a bit from Worrall. Grabban feels like very much an individual to me. Obviously we don't know what he's like off the field but I have always imagined him keeping to himself, not really mixing with or speaking to the other players. Maybe that's wrong, I don't know.

I think the Captain role is very overblown.

You need people who are vocal on the pitch, who are organisers and who the rest of the squad have huge respect for. People that can shout at the other players and demand standards, and who the other players don't want to let down.

The armband is just a bit of cloth. It doesn't imbue a player with those qualities and the absence of it doesn't dull them in a player who has those attributes.

I was hoping to see that from Arter, but we haven't yet. You do see it from Dawson, a bit from Worrall. Grabban feels like very much an individual to me. Obviously we don't know what he's like off the field but I have always imagined him keeping to himself, not really mixing with or speaking to the other players. Maybe that's wrong, I don't know.

I was talking to the Imam at the Masjid in the meadows just the other day about this whilst doing bunny hops on my new BMX that santa brought me for the holidays.