Jack Marriott | Vital Football

Jack Marriott

Banter Central

Vital Youth Team
By all accounts we're interested in this guy... But how good is he?

For every BA there's a Craig Mackail-Smith not really making the step up...

If you look at his goals -
- the main take away for me was that League 1 standard is not good.

But then he seems like a fox in the box kind of player and maybe that's what we need. Good age as well.

Anyone seen him play?

Interesting. For what it’s worth Nixon insists we’re NOT in for any of the Peterborough players that some parts of the media have linked us with.

That video seems to show that if he gets the ball in a decent position he can shoot. And do it well.

Have we got a similar player'

Doubt it.

That video seems to show that if he gets the ball in a decent position he can shoot. And do it well.

Have we got a similar player'

Doubt it.
people used to say the seem things on Cummings...the problem is...will he get the ball in decent positions ?

I heard its Maddison and Edwards we are tracking. Mind you the little bird telling me was slurring his speech.

I still keep hearing he's Spanish and will cost a fortune...my source is always pissed...but I trust him completely

This will be like Ollie Watkins last summer. He'll go somewhere else and people will be annoyed that we 'missed out' on him even though nobody knows if we were actually in for him.

While I accept he could well have matured and improved I would be wary of a player whose attitude has been criticised.

That being said he has looked like a good player this season and he will get a shot in the championship next season. Whether it is with us I am not sure. At first glance he does not look like the type of striker we would be after. AK will, I believe, want a more physically imposing striker.

While I accept he could well have matured and improved I would be wary of a player whose attitude has been criticised.

That being said he has looked like a good player this season and he will get a shot in the championship next season. Whether it is with us I am not sure. At first glance he does not look like the type of striker we would be after. AK will, I believe, want a more physically imposing striker.

I agree.

As much as the age and potential are what we want, it would be a mistake to go for a striker like Marriot or Rhodes in style. I actually feel for these more traditional style strikers now everyone seems to be playing one up front.

We made this dreadful mistake last summer of signing players who didn't even fit into the systems the manager wanted to play (Cummings and, potentially, Darikwa).

It needs to be a Grabban type (ideally younger) or an Oliviera type (who probably isn't Oliviera)

I agree.

As much as the age and potential are what we want, it would be a mistake to go for a striker like Marriot or Rhodes in style. I actually feel for these more traditional style strikers now everyone seems to be playing one up front.

We made this dreadful mistake last summer of signing players who didn't even fit into the systems the manager wanted to play (Cummings and, potentially, Darikwa).

It needs to be a Grabban type (ideally younger) or an Oliviera type (who probably isn't Oliviera)
I am not sure whether MW either wanted options for different styles of play or whether, like you say he was doing a bit of a little Britain with his purchases - ‘want that one!’

If Soudani is on his way then I would want younger than Grabban but if AK is being told promotion or bust I could see us going after both.

I think AK will want some power in the three behind the striker as well. An oliveira type sitting behind the out and out striker would be good but the man himself seems to have an attitude problem.

I do see us going after Tomlin and I am not sure how to feel about it. If he wants to play and if we put him in the right team with the right player ahead of him then he could be good but it’s whether there are too many compromises involved.

Those of you writing Marriot off, as being unable to play upfront his own, I wonder how often you have seen him and what you are basing that on?
I've seen him a couple of times this season on freebies from work (I work in Peterborough) and I was very impressed with him. According to colleagues who are season ticket holders, he is just as comfortable playing in a front two, three or as a lone striker.
Also, we absolutely don't want an Oliveria type, as that type is crap and lazy!

Those of you writing Marriot off, as being unable to play upfront his own, I wonder how often you have seen him and what you are basing that on?
I've seen him a couple of times this season on freebies from work (I work in Peterborough) and I was very impressed with him. According to colleagues who are season ticket holders, he is just as comfortable playing in a front two, three or as a lone striker.
Also, we absolutely don't want an Oliveria type, as that type is crap and lazy!

That's a poor post by your standards Hardy. No one is writing him off and it doesn't matter if they are, considering he isn't a forest player and may not even be a target.

There isn't really any question that a proper loan striker type is more what we need is there?

As for Oliviera, the point is the style, and playing attributes, not the attitude

With the balance now turning to athleticism as opposed to the big burly type of striker - do we go for a Giroud or a Lukaku type or do we go for those that run defences ragged with their speed and quick feet i.e.
Hazard - Salah - Mané - Firmino - Aguero - Jesus - Sanchez? to name but a few.

(Do we batter the door down or pick the lock?)

I use to advocate partnerships like Wignall & Baker - Withe & Woodcock - Toshack & Keegan plus others dual spearhead attack, but with the modern game we're not seeing that anymore because of teams playing lone strikers with speed.

If under Karanka we was playing 4-4-2 it might still work but I can't see Karanka changing his preferred formation any time soon.

With the balance now turning to athleticism as opposed to the big burly type of striker - do we go for a Giroud or a Lukaku type or do we go for those that run defences ragged with their speed and quick feet i.e.
Hazard - Salah - Mané - Firmino - Aguero - Jesus - Sanchez? to name but a few.

(Do we batter the door down or pick the lock?)

I use to advocate partnerships like Wignall & Baker - Withe & Woodcock - Toshack & Keegan plus others dual spearhead attack, but with the modern game we're not seeing that anymore because of teams playing lone strikers with speed.

If under Karanka we was playing 4-4-2 it might still work but I can't see Karanka changing his preferred formation any time soon.

Do you think we have players capable or a manager willing to play, quick, expansive, attacking, passing football?

Our manager is a Mourinho disciple. He may be capable of setting up a team to play attacking football but his first first instinct will always be to not concede.

If that’s the case then it will be rare that he will go with two up top so expect the striker(s) we bring in to have a physical presence and be able to hold the ball up front.

Do you think we have players capable or a manager willing to play, quick, expansive, attacking, passing football?
Not sure on that one because it will basically boil down to the players we've got and the ones he brings in. To be honest, I like to see swift counter attacking football with several players involved not just one or two players bursting forward.
How many times have we seen 1 player burst forward then taken out wide only to look up and there's no one to help or pass to.

We need 5/6 like minded players bursting forward to fill the box when we are pressing. I sit on a Saturday night watching Man City or Liverpool in envy - We need 2 fast and athletic wing-backs getting up and down along with another 2 attacking midfielders would give us that edge but there are many times recently when we've been in good positions like that for someone to pass a sloppy ball away.

That's a poor post by your standards Hardy. No one is writing him off and it doesn't matter if they are, considering he isn't a forest player and may not even be a target.

There isn't really any question that a proper loan striker type is more what we need is there?

As for Oliviera, the point is the style, and playing attributes, not the attitude

My point was a number of posters writing him off due to his size and the fact that AK tends to play one up front, or a front three. I was just pointing out that his size doesn't mean he can't play on his own. He has done so often and successfully at Peterborough this season.
As for Oliviera, I was commenting on both attitude and playing attributes, both of which I consider to be poor. I thought he was pretty poor when with us last time and certainly think we need better than him.