Jack Marriott | Page 2 | Vital Football

Jack Marriott

Yep hardys got the better of this one, olivier a was average with us, has been very average at Norwich, but for some reason people still want him. I'll place him along with mcgugan and Co as ex players we shouldn't touch with a bargepole. As for marriott, I don't know anything about him but from the highlights I think it would depend on whether we got the correct service to him or not. He can definitely finish

Yep hardys got the better of this one, olivier a was average with us, has been very average at Norwich, but for some reason people still want him. I'll place him along with mcgugan and Co as ex players we shouldn't touch with a bargepole. As for marriott, I don't know anything about him but from the highlights I think it would depend on whether we got the correct service to him or not. He can definitely finish

Olive played in a Dougie F team and still did well for us. Dont know whats happened at Norwich but the lads got quality IMO.

Actually I think we are at crossed purposes. No one has questioned Marriott’s ability. The question is whether he would fit AK style.

Similarly with Olive it was about the type of player rather than the player himself.

i dont see the difference between murphy or olive to be honest, both donks, always were, and past their best already. marriot dont stop running, the others dont even start

Not sure on that one because it will basically boil down to the players we've got and the ones he brings in. To be honest, I like to see swift counter attacking football with several players involved not just one or two players bursting forward.
How many times have we seen 1 player burst forward then taken out wide only to look up and there's no one to help or pass to.

We need 5/6 like minded players bursting forward to fill the box when we are pressing. I sit on a Saturday night watching Man City or Liverpool in envy - We need 2 fast and athletic wing-backs getting up and down along with another 2 attacking midfielders would give us that edge but there are many times recently when we've been in good positions like that for someone to pass a sloppy ball away.

Fwiw I agree- can't believe we've bought these quick skilful wingers to play attritional football.

I haven't heard anything to change my view that we still want him alongside at least 3 other strikers. 2 in each position as the boss said from day one. So two number 9s and two number 10's

I haven't heard anything to change my view that we still want him alongside at least 3 other strikers. 2 in each position as the boss said from day one. So two number 9s and two number 10's

I don't think I've seen anything to suggest it would be anything other than Soudani +1

Podence can also play as main striker though so who knows at the moment!

I don't think I've seen anything to suggest it would be anything other than Soudani +1

Podence can also play as main striker though so who knows at the moment!

sure, soudani plus one plus back up for both. BB being one of them Im being hopeful, i still believe we are talking to 2 more strikers.

That would be nice as BB not ready yet!
I wouldn't mind someone like Mcnulty from Cov, looked decent in the games v Mutts

That would be nice as BB not ready yet!
I wouldn't mind someone like Mcnulty from Cov, looked decent in the games v Mutts

Coventry City have rejected another bid from Championship side Reading for star striker Marc McNulty.

The bid Reading lodged was around £500,000, but that was rejected by Coventry.

McNulty arrived at Coventry from Sheffield United on a free transfer and don’t intend to sell one of their best players.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/uk-sport-news/league-one-gossip-sunderland-confident-1731982

According to my work colleagues, who are Posh season ticket holders, he can and has. The handful of times I've seen him this season would also confirm this. You don't need to be a giant to lead the line.

It helps in the Championship though. It is far more physical than league one. I remember when we came back up and Wes Morgan being surprised to be wrestled off the ball and dumped on his arse.

But if he can do it maybe we should look at him. I suspect most of our eggs are in the Grabban basket though

"Lead the line" is a pretty vacuous job description - if what is being advocated for is one man up and ten men behind the ball in a Dour Doug style of play i think that ship has sailed.
AK's signings this time around seem to signify a much more progressive, attack minded, flowing football should be expected.
Marriott has pace and strength and runs at defenders and gets involved with a physical battle as well, but his biggest asset is knowing how to put the ball in the net.
I would have preferred to have bought Marriott than Soudani (but that is a reflection of my rating of Marriott rather than any lack of respect for Soudani) I hope we get Grabban who would be perfect for us, but I think Marriott would be a very close second behind him.

I wouldn’t be too upset with having both Marriott and Soudani in our squad although that may be as too big a risk.

My first choice of the known viable options would have been Bamford but not at the prices being quoted.

While acknowledging that Grabban had a good season and is another known quantity I am not so convinced by him but we will see.

"Lead the line" is a pretty vacuous job description - if what is being advocated for is one man up and ten men behind the ball in a Dour Doug style of play i think that ship has sailed.
AK's signings this time around seem to signify a much more progressive, attack minded, flowing football should be expected.
Marriott has pace and strength and runs at defenders and gets involved with a physical battle as well, but his biggest asset is knowing how to put the ball in the net.
I would have preferred to have bought Marriott than Soudani (but that is a reflection of my rating of Marriott rather than any lack of respect for Soudani) I hope we get Grabban who would be perfect for us, but I think Marriott would be a very close second behind him.

Lead the line is a pretty accurate job description, because that is exactly what we need.

If we do not have a player capable of holding the ball up we will never be able to apply the necessary levels of pressure to win games consistently.

Unless he has gone through a Damascene conversion, Karanka will play with a lone central striker; how he chooses to support that striker is anyone's guess, but, judging by the signings he has made, I would think it will not be by playing ten defenders with him.