It looks like some seasons are over... | Vital Football

It looks like some seasons are over...

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
"The Northern Premier League would like to update supporters on the current situation.

The Northern Premier League has been working alongside its fellow step 3&4 leagues, via the FA Alliance committee, to find a solution for the 2019/20 season that can, ideally, apply across all of the National League System.

The NPL, Isthmian and Southern Leagues are unanimous in wanting to terminate the 2019/20 season immediately. Whether that is done on the basis of determining the final placings via average points per game, or the season is declared null and void cannot be decided until the National League's intentions are confirmed.

The NPL, Isthmian and Southern Leagues have made the FA of their wish to terminate the 2019-20 season, although any such decision has to be ratified by FA council. While this process is on-going, competition issues can then be decided, together with the implications for promotion and relegation.
The league, via the Alliance, is lobbying the government, the Premier League and others for additional financial assistance. A recent survey amongst NPL clubs estimated the impact of Covid-19 on those clubs to be over £3.25m

The NPL will continue to provide its member clubs with as much information, support and guidance as possible to assist them during this difficult time."

https://www.betvictornorthernpremier.co.uk/statement-201920-season-61678

Null and void all round for me, just start afresh and repeat the season again in August (fingers crossed) ... we’ll have the memories of those wins away at Rotherham and at home to Sunderland & Ipswich regardless.

Certainly can’t see it being feasible to restart the season the longer this goes on. How they unpick whether to call it null and void or call the leagues as they stand is anybody’s guess (depending, I imagine, on who you support).

Well if they put it to a majority vote you would have in our league perhaps only as many as 8 going for promotion who will vote for a continuation and that would be replicated in the Championship and L2 so probably a vote to void if everyone starts in their current divisions next time around.

If the vote is to say that the league is more that 75% complete then league standings as they are now are final meaning that promotions and relegations are done, that would make such a vote very close as all teams currently in a relegation spot won't want that nor would teams in spots 4-8 in our division ( as the 3rd promotion spot could only really go to those currently in 3rd......4th in L2 )

The Premier League will want it to continue purely because of the Television deal which they could end up paying a substantial amount back for as I understand it
( unlucky Norfolk )

I think the non-league decisions are based more on player contracts finishing in May that anything else

Hard luck on Jersey Bulls . Won all their 27 games .

If the results are "expunged" as they put it , I wonder if all fees and any fines will be paid back to the clubs and all cards and suspensions will the "expunged" from the records .

Perhaps they are starting at the bottom , and working up lol :grinning:

Would seem just a matter of time before the lower Leagues decision spreads up the pyramid. Winners and losers in all this but the important thing is to keep people safe. Think it would help if there was a decision sooner rather than later so we all know where we stand.

I think it would have to be a European wide, possibly world wide decision to scrap all leagues so that any legal challenges can be quashed easier and quicker.

That decision isn't made easy by games still going on in some places. Sweden for example though I know their season is a summer one

Feel sorry for the likes of Barrow 50 years out the league and the they are so near to getting their place back

The EFL have a spot to fill courtesy of Bury. Perhaps common sense can prevail with them being allowed into L2. Leaves a question as to who gets the L1 spot though as Crewe are top from Swindon by goal difference having played a game more!!

Nothing clear

Of course the way things seem to be going is there going to be an end to this before this time next year??
Perhaps this will become a continuous season 2019-21

I'm trying to imagine if this was 2016/17 or 2018/19 I would have been outraged.
We wouldn't have got our FA Cup Quarter -final potentially, and who knows what would have happened if we hadn't gone up in 2017, no guarantee it wouldn't have gone pear shaped

I think I read in one of the lower leagues, some club has already secured promotion, that would be a sickener

Well that decision covers nearly all English leagues, apart from the top 7 divisions.
Surely the FA can't now treat those divisions differently?
We are in a neutral midtable position of course but whilst a void season might be tough on clubs who would have been champions or earned promotion, or might likewise reprieve any who might have been relegated, frankly so what? It's a sport nothing more, the most supported one, yes, but still just a sport.

And as such a fair bit less important than the huge number of deaths that will occur in this country and throughout the world.
We are truly in an apocalyptic situation, the likes of which mankind hasn't seen since the Black Death in the 14th Century.

We are truly in an apocalyptic situation, the likes of which mankind hasn't seen since the Black Death in the 14th Century.

I can reassure you that we're not. The mortality rate for bubonic plague (aka The Black Death) has been estimated as at least 50%.

Last edited:
How about if any new season begins with teams on the points they have now. Teams just build from where they are and teams have the opportunity to dig themselves out of relegation positions, get into play offs etc. This seems fair whilst allowing for progress 2 seasons become 1 ( I think that was a Spice Girls song, but let's ignore that).

I should add, teams who have played less games would have to play each other so fixtures played were equal. Far from ideal but better than the injustice of wiping this season?

Regarding the NL, if the season is cancelled, then there are only two things that can be done. Either void it or PPG. I'd argue that with 7 or so games to play, there's enough to there to warrant PPG placings. It's not ideal and some will feel aggrieved but you can't void a season having played nearly 40 games. At this point, the table will be there or thereabouts and at this point, you're pretty much going to be where you deserve to be. That obviously doesn't take into account strength of opposition left to play etc but as I say, there's not an easy or full fair way to do it.

That said, I think the NL will have to, and aim to, fall in line with the EFL (who'll have to fall in line with the PL, who will probably have to do so with other European top flights) because the leagues have got to align up fairly well heading into a new season.