Is there still any reason to vote Conservative? | Vital Football

Is there still any reason to vote Conservative?

chris who

Vital Champions League
I'm still waiting for anyone to give a reason why any member of the electorate should vote Conservative in the election (probably next year?)

Is there anyone on here still committed enough to defend the conservative record in government and say they are voting for another Tory government?

There's three by elections plus the Dorres one when she decides to walk away .Or if come to that ?
That to me is almost guaranteed to be lost whenever that happens despite the majority.I can imagine that her constituents are totally fed up with her and her party. So I hope she hangs on waiting for her peerage till the general election.
But come on why should anyone vote Tory anytime while any of this current shower are running for re-election?

Better the devil you know and you cannot trust Labour with the economy. They are in all in the pocket of the Unions and they all eat babies.
Seriously I'm shocked so you would vote Conservative tomorrow if there was a general election?
So it is better that the strikes continue for the next five years in your opinion that is a better way to run the country?

Last edited:
Well due to Labours policy of spend spend spend, as per their last spell in office when they left nothing in the coffers. I believe that if they were in office during the covid epidemic they would have had no money left to deal with it.
There would have been no free vaccinations or free covid tests let alone all the extra costs to the NHS. Since the total cost to public spending due to the covid -19 pandemic so far is between £310 billion to £410 billion I fail to see how they would have coped.
Do you really think they would of handled it better?
Bearing in mind a labour council has just unnecessarily spent £50,000 on a rainbow junction in support of LBGT there can be no denying that they haven't changed.
P.S I am a floating voter as I go by their policies at the time of an election.

Well due to Labours policy of spend spend spend, as per their last spell in office when they left nothing in the coffers. I believe that if they were in office during the covid epidemic they would have had no money left to deal with it.
There would have been no free vaccinations or free covid tests let alone all the extra costs to the NHS. Since the total cost to public spending due to the covid -19 pandemic so far is between £310 billion to £410 billion I fail to see how they would have coped.
Bearing in mind a labour council has just unnecessarily spent £50,000 on a rainbow junction in support of LBGT there can be no denying that they haven't changed.

Not going to go in to it much but if you think we would be the only developed country to not vaccinate it’s population (let alone the other things you mention) under a Labour govt, then you’re wildly mistaken.

Last edited:
Have never voted Conservative as they never veer far from the "greed is good" attitude (when there is massive inequality). However, glad they won last time due to their pledges surrounding getting Brexit done, most importantly to uphold the democratic process.

This lot is pretty useless rather than anywhere near the most malevolent as in the Thatcher days. On the other hand, Starmer is too centrist and gives too much priority to the rights of minority groups and issues, rather than to the rights and wellbeing of the whole populace.

Though uninspiring, I shall probably vote Lib Dem in the hope that no one will get an overall majority. Stops either side becoming power crazed and losing touch.

I would vote for the Conservative Party if we had one. For those old enough to remember we are back to the position of the early 70s in those days you couldn't financially get a fag paper between Wilson and Heath. Sunak and Starmer are just as close on financial policy
If there were a general election tomorrow I would write None of the above at the bottom of the foam.

Better the devil you know and you cannot trust Labour with the economy. They are in all in the pocket of the Unions and they all eat babies.
National debt has doubled, yes doubled, since Labour was last in power. On every economic measure we’re worse off. If you compare Labour and Tory economic performance in terms of growth and inflation historically, they've been about the same. You’re just believing the tabloids that continually repeat this “The Tories are better at the economy” junk. If you still believe that after the last couple of years, there really is no hope for you.

I'm with WXGill - it's hopeless whatever way you look.

Given how utterly pants the Tories have been for quite some time, they deserve to spend a large stint in opposition, hopefully getting rid of the Boris, Dorries, Patel and Mogg and many others.

Will we be any better under Starmer - probably not, but given we are essentially a 2 party state they are next in line to fuck everything up.

Where to start with this. The huge amount of money spent on Covid appears to have gone on dodgy contracts to Tory chums for ineffective PPE or on the hugely expensive Test and Trace system (the Germans had an effective system at a fraction of the cost). Also the government refuses to reveal the details of where that money was spent. The national debt has doubled under the Tories since Labour was last in power. On every economic measure we’re doing worse now and yet you still believe Labour is worse. The “all the money has gone” thing is despicable because it was a joke left by an outgoing treasury minister. Labour didn’t reveal (until now) what Tory Reginald Maudling said to Labour when he left the job as chancellor. “Sorry we’ve left everything in such a mess”. In reality, the Tories wanted to pursue austerity because it met their agenda of pushing the economy towards the private sector which has gone so incredibly well e.g. water companies. Oh and I presume you got the £50,000 on a rainbow junction from the Daily Mail. The junction improvement has cost £50,000 a few hundred pounds of which was spent on paint for rainbow colours. It seems to suggest you get all your ‘facts’ from the Daily Mail which is sad given that Wikipedia warns that it’s not a credible source of information.

Seriously I'm shocked so you would vote Conservative tomorrow if there was a general election?
So it is better that the strikes continue for the next five years in your opinion that is a better way to run the country?
He was joking and came out with the usual anti Labour tropes.

He forgot "where's the money coming from? Labour's recession in 2008 (even though it was far right unchecked Capitalism from the USA) and you can't trust Labour with the economy (even though the Tories have trashed it several times by reckless budgets since the early 60's).

Where to start with this. The huge amount of money spent on Covid appears to have gone on dodgy contracts to Tory chums for ineffective PPE or on the hugely expensive Test and Trace system (the Germans had an effective system at a fraction of the cost). Also the government refuses to reveal the details of where that money was spent. The national debt has doubled under the Tories since Labour was last in power. On every economic measure we’re doing worse now and yet you still believe Labour is worse. The “all the money has gone” thing is despicable because it was a joke left by an outgoing treasury minister. Labour didn’t reveal (until now) what Tory Reginald Maudling said to Labour when he left the job as chancellor. “Sorry we’ve left everything in such a mess”. In reality, the Tories wanted to pursue austerity because it met their agenda of pushing the economy towards the private sector which has gone so incredibly well e.g. water companies. Oh and I presume you got the £50,000 on a rainbow junction from the Daily Mail. The junction improvement has cost £50,000 a few hundred pounds of which was spent on paint for rainbow colours. It seems to suggest you get all your ‘facts’ from the Daily Mail which is sad given that Wikipedia warns that it’s not a credible source of information.
Excellent Waldo, as usual.

Blimey, how can anyone believe Rotherhithe was serious? He's proper "leftie". Obviously being sarcastic.