Ipswich in talks with Thomas Holy | Page 2 | Vital Football

Ipswich in talks with Thomas Holy

I don't like Ipswich. They took our rightful place in the Football League in 1938 (undoubtably through nefarious means and various favours offered up by the Cobbolds) and they should never be forgiven for that, Alf Ramsey and Bobby Robson notwithstanding.

I hope we give them a proper good gubbing twice next year.

Is it? If he was talking to Bury or Walsall then yeah it would be, but talking to a side that will be favourite to go straight back up, playing in front of 15,000+ every other week, with immense history, you can't blame him.

Think there’s a bit too much sucking up to and glorifying Ipswich in the thread. They’re a good club who are bigger than us of course. A provincial club who are a natural second tier fit, who have done well to exceed their natural standing on several occasions - most notably about 20 years ago when they had a good stint in the top flight, even more so about 35-40 years ago under Sir Bobby and of course under Sir Alf all those years back. However, I’d say to describe their history as immense is OTT I’d reserve that for Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and co.

Obviously, Ipswich having often punched above their weight will be punching below their weight next season, but this in no way guarantees they’ll be successful - they were abysmal last season and clearly have a lot to do to turn things around. Sunderland are a far bigger club, with bigger crowds and more money (inc still getting parachute payments), yet didn’t get automatic.

Ipswich would be a good fit for Tomas were they still a second tier club but not the move for someone wanting Championship football in my opinion.

Last season their average attendance was over 17 thousand. Evan allowing for a small fall due to league one teams taking less away supporters then they will still be significantly better supported than all but a few teams. They might get a few more away fans in due to them being a new ground for some.

Ipswich should be one of the best resourced clubs challenging for automatic promotion so it makes perfect sense for Holy to go there if he wants to play in the championship and no championship side are currently going for him. On the down side, Ipswich fan Georgie Bingham on Talksport regularly comments Ipswich is being run on crazy mode methods at the moment and seem to be tossing the coin in making background decisions at the moment.

Although Holy and some on here think him a good championship keeper, the fact no championship side side has been linked with him despite Ipswich being linked and apparently approached suggests Ipswich might be the best club he can get.

The point about Holy moving on to better things, is that if he's going to Ipswich, he'll still be playing in front of 2-3000 at Fleetwood, Accrington, Rochdale etc.
Whereas usually when our players move on to better things, like Dack, Egan etc, they go up a division playing in front of 30,000 or so at Leeds, West Brom, Forest etc, so it's not much of a move up.
I actually think Holy's form in the last 6 months hasn't been as good, so I'm not surprised there's been no interest from championship clubs.

I'm not that fussed of he goes. His inability to get down quickly to low shots is a hindrance, as is lack of penalty area command. Lovell had a go at him about that a couple of months ago. There are better keepers out there that we can get.
I've always liked Frank Fielding who has just been released by Bristol City

Last edited:
I actually think Holy's form in the last 6 months hasn't been as good, so I'm not surprised there's been no interest from championship clubs.

Therefore, if there has been no interest from championship clubs, the only way he could progress in this country would be by going to a bigger Division one club?

We don`t know that there`s been no interest from Championship clubs, do we ?

When Tomas leaves us I hope that we manage to find some confidence in our 22 year old Tom Hadler. I don`t remember having seen him play, tbh, but if he`s good enough to be on our bench week in week out then perhaps we should be handing over Tall Tom`s starting gloves to Quite Tall Young Tom.

The point about Holy moving on to better things, is that if he's going to Ipswich, he'll still be playing in front of 2-3000 at Fleetwood, Accrington, Rochdale etc.

The same was said about Dack joining Blackburn when he had been League One player of the year and clearly capable of jumping up to the Championship and hitting the ground running.

If Holy does sign for Ipswich then it must be with the anticipation they'll jump straight back up into the Championship and not get stuck for a few seasons.

The same was said about Dack joining Blackburn when he had been League One player of the year and clearly capable of jumping up to the Championship and hitting the ground running.

If Holy does sign for Ipswich then it must be with the anticipation they'll jump straight back up into the Championship and not get stuck for a few seasons.

Not sure if it matters that Ipswich get stuck in Div1.
So long as Tomas plays well there for a year, there will definitely be Championship clubs sniffing around then. And Ipswich will make a nice motza our of him.

We could make a fortune out of sell on clauses for the next 10 years.
How would that work then if Holy signs for Ipswich or whoever after his contract with GFC finishes? Surely we could not impose any clauses when he has become a free agent?

...and Bradford average 15,000...

The cheapest season ticket for adults at Ipswich next season is £475. The most expensive I can find for Bradford is £225. Even if Ipswich's average drops by a couple of thousand people then they will still be taking in twice as much in ticket revenue.

Bradford get great crowds but they are well known for having some of the cheapest, if not the cheapest tickets in the football league.

I don't like Ipswich. They took our rightful place in the Football League in 1938 (undoubtably through nefarious means and various favours offered up by the Cobbolds) and they should never be forgiven for that, Alf Ramsey and Bobby Robson notwithstanding.

I hope we give them a proper good gubbing twice next year.

Absolutely right, although they provide most of the basic features of my realistic fantasy Gills. Now my unrealistic fantasy Gills....

The cheapest season ticket for adults at Ipswich next season is £475. The most expensive I can find for Bradford is £225. Even if Ipswich's average drops by a couple of thousand people then they will still be taking in twice as much in ticket revenue.

Bradford get great crowds but they are well known for having some of the cheapest, if not the cheapest tickets in the football league.
People on here have been saying Ipswich is a step up because they have bigger crowds. I’m saying bigger crowds alone isn’t a step up - as you say, the tickets could be dirt cheap, or the club could be so fucked financially that any gate revenue will soon be swallowed up in debt repayments etc.

The big question is how healthy is the club, and can they bounce back up or are they facing oblivion?

Looking at Ipswich’s last finances, for 2017/18 where they finished mid-table: £95 million debt to their owner who’s pumped in an astronomical amount of money to cover operating losses. He’ll need to dig deep this season to avoid financial disaster, but rumours persist he’s had enough and wants out. They don’t own their ground which is another football club no-no.

People on here have been saying Ipswich is a step up because they have bigger crowds. I’m saying bigger crowds alone isn’t a step up - as you say, the tickets could be dirt cheap, or the club could be so fucked financially that any gate revenue will soon be swallowed up in debt repayments etc.

The big question is how healthy is the club, and can they bounce back up or are they facing oblivion?

Looking at Ipswich’s last finances, for 2017/18 where they finished mid-table: £95 million debt to their owner who’s pumped in an astronomical amount of money to cover operating losses. He’ll need to dig deep this season to avoid financial disaster, but rumours persist he’s had enough and wants out. They don’t own their ground which is another football club no-no.

As per my prior post, the cheapest adult season ticket for next season is £475 so Ipswich by match day ticket revenue alone will be significantly greater than all but a few.

They will probably keep a good part of last season's squad. They might not all be championship quality but most will be very good at league one. Their chairman will know he'll get a better price for the club if they are promoted to the championship again than allow them to free fall in league one.

Absolutely right, although they provide most of the basic features of my realistic fantasy Gills. Now my unrealistic fantasy Gills....

Agreed. I have always wondered why we couldn't emulate Ipswich

Equally agree that its seemingly increasingly unlikely as well